Ticks.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon May 08, 2006 11:09 am

I thought bio-spot was going to be taken off the market..

r2pitties

Postby r2pitties » Mon May 08, 2006 11:39 am

So is bio spot worse than the rest? they all seem bad to me now since they all have similar chemicals in them? I think I missed something about the garlic too. Do you feed it to the dogs? I really dont want to use these products after reading that dalmation article. One of my biggest concerns is that my girlfriend is 8 months pregnant, Im bringing the package to the dr today to make sure she is safe. She hasn't applied it or anything but has been around the dogs. Anything else you could tell me is greatly appreciated cause like i said before I do live in an area with many ticks.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Mon May 08, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks pblove! I appreciate that. I will have to figure out how much to give the now, after I rinse them in vinager lol and myself!

Ket

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon May 08, 2006 7:54 pm

My vet-school friend Jo said that as a general rule the OTC products are not very safe--some may be pulled and some have had lawsuits, etc... she mentioned Hartz as one to stay away from.

For the most part, she said the prescription ones are safer and milder-the chemicals break down quicker.

My cats reacted terribly to OTC meds--terrible skin reactions. I probably won't use Advantix after it runs out--I am waiting til thier annual HW test and switching to Sentinel and Frontline (since it is good for 2 months). With Frontline Plus you may have to remove ticks by hand, but it is good flea control for two months, making it more economical. I want to stay away from Permithrin just in case...

I guess I will just have to get in the habit of checking for ticks right after a walk...YUCK!! :yucky:

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon May 08, 2006 7:58 pm

btw, cats can get hw too, in case some of you didn't know. I found out when I moved here. Some vets recommend preventative (mine does) and some say the risk is very low (only a small percentage of what dogs get). I give Revolution to my cats for fleas and hw--hw is fatal in cats with very few warning signs.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 08, 2006 9:03 pm

r2pitties wrote:So is bio spot worse than the rest? they all seem bad to me now since they all have similar chemicals in them? I think I missed something about the garlic too. Do you feed it to the dogs? I really dont want to use these products after reading that dalmation article. One of my biggest concerns is that my girlfriend is 8 months pregnant, Im bringing the package to the dr today to make sure she is safe. She hasn't applied it or anything but has been around the dogs. Anything else you could tell me is greatly appreciated cause like i said before I do live in an area with many ticks.

and Ketra
I just posted another natural flea/tick repellent recipe you can try out .

Cody
Matured Bully

Postby Cody » Sun May 06, 2007 9:25 pm

Bump

I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and see what he recommends.

After browsing some of this thread I'm under the impression I'm going to still have to pull the ticks off my dogs. That's what I'm trying to avoid Sadie doesn't like that very much :sad: .

I don't think Cody had a single tick last summer. I bet Ive pulled over ten out from inside his ears in the last week. That's the only place they've attached to him.

Sadie gets them all over she has longer hair so I don't always find them when their small. She definitely doesn't like it when I pull them.

fishmonkeystew
Newborn Bully

Postby fishmonkeystew » Mon May 07, 2007 8:09 am

Has anyone had their vet tell them NOT to but Frontline online? I've had two different doctors give me hell about buying it online. They said that there are a ton of bogus products out there that pose as Frontline. Sounds to me like they are trying to protect their profit.

I live in Connecticut, bordering the state park. Ticks are so common here that I don't even flinch anymore when I see them. Walks in the woods are ALWAYS followed by tick-checks on all three pooches, my wife and myself. Every year gets worse and worse. And it seems like more and more people and dogs are catching Lyme disease, erlichiosis, etc. Ugh.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon May 07, 2007 9:05 am

if you buy online you can get fake products.. i buy advantix from the vet, its better then frontline plus. i always found ticks on my dogs with frontline plus, but since switching to advantix i have not found any ticks on them at all..

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Mon May 07, 2007 9:35 am

nice bump - just in time for prime tick season.

I haven't posted on here in AGES, life and work have been super busy, but I see there is someone from Union - that's right next to me! So, Hi. :)

I still use Advantix K9, I think it's great stuff. Mika never has ticks attached anymore, like she did with Frontline. Plus, it's supposed to help repel misquitos too.

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Mon May 07, 2007 12:04 pm

EWW Ticks.....

I had my first experience with them recently....ugh I'm super uber paranoid now...nasty parasites. NO purpose to them!

indianas_mom
Matured Bully

Postby indianas_mom » Mon May 07, 2007 12:37 pm

I know this is a bit off topic but I have a question about ticks. I went to a dinner with a guest speaker who is a vet specializing in canine cancer.

He spoke a bit about tick borne diseases. There is one called Basesiosis...something.
He said it's more common in the North East and Pit Bulls are more prone to it, and more likely to spread it by biting other animals or even humans. I'm tempted to email him and ask WHY they are more prone. Has anyone else heard that ???

Any dog can get tick bites, and any dog can bite another dog or human.

This dinner event was put on by Greyhound rescuers and fanciers. The vet does not have a problem with bullies, he owns an AmStaff, a Greyhound and another mutt.

I gave our dogs Sentinel last year. We don't see as many tick borne diseases up here. I guess they all freeze to death when it gets down to minus 40 in the winter. lol

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Mon May 07, 2007 1:01 pm

we have ticks in hawaii, but only one species thank god. And they don't have any diseases :neato:

Itsapitty
Super Bully

Postby Itsapitty » Mon May 07, 2007 1:05 pm

indianas_mom wrote:I know this is a bit off topic but I have a question about ticks. I went to a dinner with a guest speaker who is a vet specializing in canine cancer.

He spoke a bit about tick borne diseases. There is one called Basesiosis...something.
He said it's more common in the North East and Pit Bulls are more prone to it, and more likely to spread it by biting other animals or even humans. I'm tempted to email him and ask WHY they are more prone. Has anyone else heard that ???

Wow. Learn something new on this site every day....
Did a bit of googling...apparently it's called babesiosis and a strain of the organism infects apbt's almost exclusively. Bizarre.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_babesia_infection_in_dogs.html

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 07, 2007 1:32 pm

He said it's more common in the North East and Pit Bulls are more prone to it, and more likely to spread it by biting other animals or even humans.

couple years ago a pit bull in rescue/East Coast contacted it and lost both his back legs eventually.
vet that treated him ended up adopting him at least. he now gets around in a wheel chair for dogs and is still hanging in there last I heard.
that was the first case I knew of and how I found out it was prev. in this breed .
:frown:

Return to “Health Issues”