after giving birth

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

after giving birth

Postby al » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:25 pm

my trixie just gave birth. I've been told not to give her water so that her teets go back to normal. I can't help but to give her water, it seems cruel not to. How do I get her teets come retract in a healthy manner, and how long will it take?
al

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:50 pm

I know next to nothing about breeding, but I know that it would be crazy to deny ANY dog water, especially a nursing mother!!! Dog's bodies, like ours, are largely made up of water, and if you don't give her water she will dehydrate, get sick, and eventually die!!!

Has your dog seen a vet during her pregnancy? Has a vet seen her or the pups? Please have a professional check her and the pups over, bitches can develop many problems after whelping, as can the pups.

Her teats will never go back to what they were, and you shouldn't even try to shrink them up until after the pups are weaned. I believe I read somewhere that there's something you can rub on the teats after the pups are weaned to help tighten up the skin - someone else may be able to help you with that.

Also, no offence, but if you know this little about breeding, you shouldn't be doing it - please get your dog spayed asap!
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby SKoth » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:54 pm

Al, it is never good to with hold water from your dog. When did she give birth? What do you mean when you say that you want her teats to retract? If you could elaborate I could help you a little more.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby Leslie H » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:50 pm

She needs extra water and extra nutrition as well, in order to produce adequate milk for her pups. Nature plays the most important role in how much a bitch tightens up.
Leslie H
Regulator

re: after giving birth

Postby al » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:12 pm

First, thank you all for responding. You are right, i know little about breeding. That is why I don't breed. This dog was given to me a few weeks after she gave birth. They were going to put her down, so I took her. The pups were all sold to "I don't know who or when". I feel the same as you that I shouldn't breed. I just want to make sure I do the right things for her now that she's mine.
What I mean when I say I want her teats to retract- - - I want her breasts to go back to normal. Please don't think I've been depriving my new girl of water. I didn't listen to them when they told me that. It sounded suspicious to begin with. That is why I looked for and found this forum.

Thanks again for all your responses and your concern with my baby girl. I promise...I will get her spayed ASAP.
al

Postby SKoth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:08 pm

Sounds good Al. Most of the dogs that I have seen who teats have "retracted" after giving birth were dogs that were exercised and feed properly. I think just like human woman keeping her in good shape will help her to regain her figure. It make take some time but they should retract and spaying will help. Good luck with her, we'd love to see pics!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Re: re: after giving birth

Postby HugABull1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:53 am

al wrote:First, thank you all for responding. You are right, i know little about breeding. That is why I don't breed. This dog was given to me a few weeks after she gave birth. They were going to put her down, so I took her. The pups were all sold to "I don't know who or when". I feel the same as you that I shouldn't breed. I just want to make sure I do the right things for her now that she's mine.
What I mean when I say I want her teats to retract- - - I want her breasts to go back to normal. Please don't think I've been depriving my new girl of water. I didn't listen to them when they told me that. It sounded suspicious to begin with. That is why I looked for and found this forum.

Thanks again for all your responses and your concern with my baby girl. I promise...I will get her spayed ASAP.

Al, thanks for taking that girl in! Sorry if my previous reply sounded snotty - I get a bit fired up about people breeding irresponsibly :oops: I do remember someone posting about rubbing something on the teats to help - camphor? menthol? Maybe when I bump this up that person will read this and reply :)
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby mnp13 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:06 pm

Please do not deny her water. Dehydration will only make her skin LESS elastic. Bag balm or a similar product wil help keep the skin supple and maybe help it retract, but her nipples will never be small again.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:22 pm

When I got my dog she had puppies just prior to. I have never seen the puppies and I have no clue where they could possibly be right now. I also spayed her as soon as she came into my home. The teats were huge..it actually took about 6 months for them to shrink back to normal. I don't know if that's how long it is supposed to take, but I would say just don't worry about it...after awhile they'll shrink on their own..definately don't deprive her of water..and thank you for taking her in..you have a good heart.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pocketpit » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:22 pm

My current foster bitch's teat have almost returned back to normal and her pups are about 4 months now. Some of it depends on whether or not this was her fist litter. If she's been bred repeatedly they will never be what they used to. And her nipples will stay bigger regardless of it being her first litter even if her breasts do tuck back up. If she's not actively nursing Vick's vapor rub might help but it's more useful in situations like false pregnacies or shrinking mammary tissue in a dog that just had pups that died or something similar.
pocketpit

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:55 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:when i first saw this post i was so mad! i though " oh god, not another irrisponsable breeding @ss wipe" now i am so happy! thank you so much for savinf this poor girl. i would just give her tits a chance and they will go back to normal, eventually. they will be a lil bigger, but not much different!

i agree fully with adoptashelterpit. good luck with your new girl. post pics i would love to see her!!!
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby tuesdaysmom » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:22 pm

I have heard swimming helps too, but I don't breed I wouldn't know. Great thing of you to do, taking the poor girl in! :))
tuesdaysmom

Postby K » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:46 am

A really good Vitamin E creme might help
K

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:26 pm

How old were the pups and when did they leave? It almost sounded to me like the pups were too young to leave... which is sad for the pups, granted, but you have no control over that. What I am getting here is that she may still be lactating, and can develop an infection in her mamories... which is painful and can be VERY dangerous. Please have her seen by a vet and mention a concern for infection if you think that this is a possibility. Signs of mamorie infection is hardened teats, red/swollen teats, feaver, and general illness.

Colengela on the boobs can help with pain, swelling, and shrinking. You can get colengela cream at most stores; one brand is Wealdia (not sure of spelling on that - it is a german product that you can get anywhere you can buy baby products). I have heard that cooked cabbage leaves help that area as well (applied topically). If she is in good health, go for jogs! Lost of exercise! A higher protien and fat diet may help as well, as she has lost nutrition during pregnancy/nursing. Supplimenting her diet with raw meat, eggs, whole milk yogurt, Wysong PDG, and products like Dyne can be helpful to her all around.

Thank you for adopting a rescued dog... you are a life saver!!!!!!
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby pitbullforever » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:54 pm

:goodpost:
i agree thanks for saveing her life. you really did save her you know. not everyone whould do what you did for her. thanks. :headbang:
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Next

Return to Health Issues