RAW FOODS?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

RAW FOODS?

Postby IamaDick » Sat May 13, 2006 1:25 pm

I was thinking about adding more protein in my dogs diet. He is a year old and im wondering what i should start with. I dont want to go overboard and give him the runs but i really want him to start getting muscled. When he was 4 months old i was giving him half a can of tuna a day mixed with his dry food. And it seemed to work pretty well as well as it gave him a shiny coat. But would it be better to give him red meat or even chicked? and would i need to cook the chicken before i gave it to him or do you guys think i should just repeat with the tuna? Thanks for all input.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sat May 13, 2006 1:42 pm

What kind of muscled dog are you looking for? A hippo or a conditioned dog?

Working them and exercising them will do it more than a diet..

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat May 13, 2006 1:46 pm

I definantly dont want a hippo. I want him to be toned and conditioned. I do exercise him as much as i can but i think im feeding him a crappy food and i want him to get a lot of protein, but how much is too much?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: RAW FOODS?

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat May 13, 2006 1:47 pm

IamaDick wrote:I was thinking about adding more protein in my dogs diet. He is a year old and im wondering what i should start with. I dont want to go overboard and give him the runs but i really want him to start getting muscled. When he was 4 months old i was giving him half a can of tuna a day mixed with his dry food. And it seemed to work pretty well as well as it gave him a shiny coat. But would it be better to give him red meat or even chicked? and would i need to cook the chicken before i gave it to him or do you guys think i should just repeat with the tuna? Thanks for all input.

Your pup is only 4 months old he is not going to be all ripped with muscles right now. He needs to grow up, get good food, and exercise. Don't rush it. He is only a puppy. Also APBTs are not supposed to have bulky muscle if that is what you are trying to get. Genetics plays a MAJOR part of how a puppy develops. You can't change his genes.

Don't add other things like meat to his kibble , you will throw off the balance and can cause problems. If you want to feed RAW, canned tuna isn't raw food. Nutrition needs to be balanced. Too much of anything is no good IMO

Bravo Raw has some good info on their site and their are many good sites on RAW feeding. Most don't mix it with kibble. They either feed RAW alone or Kibble as one meal and Raw as another later in the day.

Yes, puppies can eat RAW just fine

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat May 13, 2006 1:47 pm

im also thinking about switching foods, but i need to know which one is what i need, as far as i know he doesnt have any allergies but i feed him kibbles and bits, and i know he needs something better. Any suggestions?

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat May 13, 2006 1:50 pm

read that quote again. My dog is a year old now, but when he was 4 months i fed that to him, i stopped about 4 months ago because he had to be fostered at my moms while i was going through somethings. Now that he is older.... im curious what to do. So they actually make a raw dog food? i was just thinking about giving him a chicken breast or something if i cooked it after he ate his kibbles. Is that to much, or should i maybe make it a lunchtime snack?

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat May 13, 2006 1:51 pm

also, sorry i have to add another question. Do you think the tuna mixed with kibbles is a good or bad idea? When he was younger it really seemed to tone him up and make his coat shine, but it also made his stools a little looser. so im not sure.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat May 13, 2006 2:01 pm

IamaDick wrote:also, sorry i have to add another question. Do you think the tuna mixed with kibbles is a good or bad idea? When he was younger it really seemed to tone him up and make his coat shine, but it also made his stools a little looser. so im not sure.

My advice honestly is get him on a better food ASAP and add a little salmon oil or other omega fatty acid suppliment . You can give him a little tuna hear and there as a training reward.

the ingredients in the food you are feeding are awful IMO, it is chock full of things that many dogs are allergic too Holy cow this is just gross>>>:
Ingredients
Corn, soybean meal, ground wheat flour, beef and bone meal, animal fat (BHA used as preservatives), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, beef, animal digest, propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, caramel color, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), titanium dioxide, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), calcium sulfate, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, BHA (used as a preservative), dl-methionine.

Meat should be the main ingredient

stay away from anything with corn, soy, wheat YIKES those are the first 3 in this food

I've read that BHA causes cancer

there are all kinds of dyes in this food too

it has corn syrup too ... why? dogs don't need a sugar boost

I hope this helps you see that you need a new food and I'm sure your pup will then not only look , but feel better

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Sat May 13, 2006 3:38 pm

Pit bulls should be athletic and agile and not overdone -- think Ken Shamrock instead of Arnold Schwartzenegger. Your dog's still young and maturing -- he might not get any taller but he should fill out fine if it's in his genes. A good diet is key to a healthy dog at any age, though. You can provide that to your dog in many ways: high quality kibble, 1/2 kibble and 1/2 raw, just raw, or home-made meals.

High quality kibble with a salmon oil supplement as Patch O' Pits suggested is very easy and convenient. It's fine for most dogs. You could add a couple of tablespoons of plain full fat yogurt (the kind with no sugar and flavorings), a sardine, a bit of green tripe, or a bit of cooked chicken (no bones) to his food for flavor if he doesn't like dry kibble. Just a little to moisten the food. I wouldn't feed tuna daily because of the heavy metals in it.

Feeding 1/2 kibble and 1/2 raw in separate meals is another option. I'm doing this with my dog because of his medical issues. Nature's Variety makes a frozen raw dog food that is nutritionally complete and balanced. NV's frozen raw food is very convenient but it is expensive. I give this to my dog for his raw meal about 3 times a week. NV also has a freeze-dried raw food that you can feed as a treat or re-hydrate as a meal. There are many more companies that make raw dog foods. You just have to shop around.

From what I understand, feeding a home-made raw diet requires A LOT of research and knowledge to make sure you're feeding the dog properly. It shouldn't be done haphazardly or the dog could develop serious nutritional imbalances / deficiencies. There are different theorhetical approaches to raw and many (sometimes strident) opinions on the best way to do it.

You can also give him a home-made cooked diet. It's not table scraps, but an actual meal you cook for him. Again, the recipes have to be researched and planned. It's an option if you don't want to feed raw and can't find any high quality kibbles in your area or can't get them ordered / delivered to you.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat May 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at raw dog food but it gets pretty pricey. It seems to me that my best option is to go with half kibbles and half raw that i find myself. I can get uncooked meat really cheap. (im in the restaurant business) So i think thats the way im going to go. but what kind is my next problem and how much? And you guys are saying i shouldnt mix kibbles with raw right? So in the morning kibbles and at night raw maybe?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat May 13, 2006 5:11 pm

IamaDick wrote:read that quote again. My dog is a year old now, but when he was 4 months i fed that to him, i stopped about 4 months ago because he had to be fostered at my moms while i was going through somethings. Now that he is older.... im curious what to do. So they actually make a raw dog food? i was just thinking about giving him a chicken breast or something if i cooked it after he ate his kibbles. Is that to much, or should i maybe make it a lunchtime snack?

LOL oops I must have skimmed over that. But, yes a year old is still a pup. They are puppies IMO until at least 2. They do not fully mature until they are between 2-3 years old depending on the individual dog

There are several prepackaged Raw foods on the market. Bravo is just one of them

Using cooked foods is totally different than Raw feeding

PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Sat May 13, 2006 7:02 pm

What food are you feeding? See the sticky post in thsi forum for the top 5 kibble foods (opinions vary, but those five are all good foods).

As for raw feed, you don't need to cook it. If you cook it, it's no longer raw. Don't feed raw until you've read yourself blue in the face with fact and info. And at that point, research yourself blue in the face another three months.

Things that make your dog physically sound, in order:
1) Genetics
2a) Food
2b) Exercize

If your dog in not genetically predisposed to be muscular, all the food and exercize in the world won't help much. Dianabol might, but at that point we need to rethink pet ownership.

For now switch to a good kibble and feed 500mg - 750mg of Omega 3 (via Salmon oile) per day. Perhaps look into a food supplement like Solid Gold or Missing Link. Add in a supergreen food like kelp, alfalfa, etc (Solidgold has a few, Missing Link does as well). That is fine for 90% of your dog's health. If you really want to add an aditional 5% - 7% then go RAW (not barf). The remaining amount is vet checkups, etc.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Mon May 15, 2006 11:19 am

Don't waste your money on the store-bought pre-formed raw. Buy a whole chicken, whack it into quarters, and give your dog 1-2 quarters a day. Voila. You're feeding raw. Once your dog has adjusted to the chicken with no runs (if there are runs, fast him for a day), generally after a couple weeks you can add in more sources of protein - beef, pork, fish, etc. I agree though with PopeyeSaysHowdy - research, research, research. However, after that, just throw yourself in. It's very scary until you actually start, then you feel like a dumbass for not starting sooner! Very cheap, very easy, VERY healthy.

PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Tue May 16, 2006 1:15 am

Inaras mom wrote:Buy a whole chicken, whack it into quarters, and give your dog 1-2 quarters a day.

Make sure the chicken includes organs with it. And of course if you are going this route, try to use organic and without added hormones.

48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Tue May 16, 2006 8:59 am

If you are doing RAW right, you should be paying less than it would cost you to feed your dog kibble.

Return to “Health Issues”