absolute BEST flea and tick control?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Confused

absolute BEST flea and tick control?

Postby Confused » Wed May 17, 2006 6:51 pm

What do you all use and what are the pros and cons of the different things?

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Wed May 17, 2006 8:19 pm

The ones I can think of off hand are

-Advantage
-Revolution
-Frontline

I'm sure they are more. We don't sell frontline (US only maybe?), but both Advantage and Revolution are topical. They work pretty well - I used advantage on my pets until I started working at a clinic and got paranoid about heartworm, then I switched to Revolution.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Wed May 17, 2006 8:56 pm

Advantage protects against Fleas only.

Revolution and Frontline both protect against Fleas & Ticks. Revolution also protects against Ear Mites, Sarcoptic Mange and Roundworms. However Revolution in absorbed internally while Frontline remains topical.

I'd go with Frontline personally.

Confused

Postby Confused » Wed May 17, 2006 10:33 pm

Thank you, I will go with Frontline. It looks like it will cost me like 50 bucks a months to keep everyone flea free. I guess it's worth it because it'll keep me flea free too LOL

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed May 17, 2006 11:10 pm

Frontline didn't work for us when we lived in a bad flea area. It was a constant battle, applying Frontline twice a month, spraying the environment, bedding, yard, cars, etc. I switched everybody over to Advantage and that was all it took to take care of the flea problem in its entirety.

Confused

Postby Confused » Wed May 17, 2006 11:22 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:Frontline didn't work for us when we lived in a bad flea area. It was a constant battle, applying Frontline twice a month, spraying the environment, bedding, yard, cars, etc. I switched everybody over to Advantage and that was all it took to take care of the flea problem in its entirety.

I've heard that too...I have heard that both work well and I have heard that some like one more than the other. I used Frontline last month but it didn't seem to work for long. It did work but it seemed we had the fleas back in no time. Fleas suck. :crybaby:

TessieLou

Postby TessieLou » Wed May 17, 2006 11:24 pm

Advantix does fleas & ticks.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Wed May 17, 2006 11:55 pm

do you have cats? bc some you can't use around cats...

Confused

Postby Confused » Thu May 18, 2006 12:01 am

OlmpyianAB wrote:do you have cats? bc some you can't use around cats...

No! God Forbid! No cats! :)

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Thu May 18, 2006 10:12 pm

I hate Frontline. I don't live in a particularly bad flea area, and it still did almost nothing to get rid of fleas. They would be gone for a week or so, and then they were back full force.

Advantage is AWESOME, I use it every 6 months or so.

bouvierz

Postby bouvierz » Fri May 19, 2006 12:23 pm

I use advantage on my guys and have never had a problem with fleas. I have tried frontline in the past and it didn't work. My selter also uses advantage without any flea issues. Ive never even heard from fellow staff members of any on the animals having a reaction to it (im sure id does happen from time to time) I have heard good things about advantix also it covers fleas and ticks but you cannot have it around cats. Im sure i repeated some info so sorry about that if i did. :oops:

thegirlundertherainbow

I

Postby thegirlundertherainbow » Sat May 20, 2006 8:54 pm

use frontline plus when we have a flea prob. I've had it remain effective for usually, 3 months. Never had it not work. The topical liquid, not the spray. You know you can but a larger dose and split it to save $. Same concentration in every dose.

REACTiON
Adolescent Bully

Postby REACTiON » Sat May 20, 2006 10:49 pm

i use the frontline plus topical liquid once a month now and use the spray once a week over my dog. so far its been great... I also spray my yard down once twice a month to kill all flea's & ticks with other pests.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: I

Postby pblove » Sun May 21, 2006 10:38 am

thegirlundertherainbow wrote:use frontline plus when we have a flea prob. I've had it remain effective for usually, 3 months. Never had it not work. The topical liquid, not the spray. You know you can but a larger dose and split it to save $. Same concentration in every dose.

verified by who?

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sun May 21, 2006 11:46 am

i think what was meant was that you can buy the product in a larger size and measure out the correct dosage for your pet. I buy advantage and use a syringe to measure out the amount needed for my dogs and my cats as recommended by my vet.

Return to “Health Issues”