What is your opinion of Bil Jac dog food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
phiberoptik

What is your opinion of Bil Jac dog food?

Postby phiberoptik » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:11 pm

Just curious what the rest of the nation thinks of this food. I know you cant get it everywhere but tell me what you have heard about it or what you like and dont like.

Bil Jac: 4.19/5lb bag of frozen meat based food.

I like to mix it with a small amount of cottage cheese and some dry food to fill him up.

phiberoptik

Postby phiberoptik » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:25 pm

anyone out there have anything to say about it?

Hes been eating it for almost 2 weeks and has gained a tiny bit over a pound from it.

1 cup dry food
2 cups Bil Jac
2 tablespoons of cottage cheese

2 times a day.

kazuo
Site Admin

Postby kazuo » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:21 pm

I don't have any direct experience with Bil Jac foods, but I went to their website to check out the ingredients. I could only find their dry dog food listed, and I don't think that's the same as the frozen based you posted about. I did notice BHA listed as a preservative in their dry foods that is not very good for animals.

The frozen food you mentioned may be all natural, so it's probably fine. Maybe a good idea to double check the list of ingredients and see if there are any kind of chemical preservatives, and run a check on those.

Here's some info on BHA and other dog food ingredients:

http://www.flintriverranch.org/labels.html

phiberoptik

Postby phiberoptik » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:06 pm

Here is exactly what is on the bag: (minus the unimportant stuff)

US Patent 3976799
Bil Jac is complete and balanced nutrition for everyage of your dog.
Bil Jac is made with fresh meat for wholesome protein. It must be kept under refrigeration until fed. May be stored in the refrigerator as fresh meat or kept frozen for longer storage.
Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Bil-Jac provides complete and balanced nutrition for ALL LIFE STAGES.
Garaunteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min.) 15%
Crude Fat (Min.) 8%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 25%
Moisture (Max.) 44%

Ingredients:
Beef, Meat By-Products, Cereal Food Fines, Poultry, Poultry Meal, Animal Liver, Fish Meal, Eggs, Cane Molasses, Dried Beef Pulp, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Salt, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thaimine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), DL-Methionine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite.

btw this stuff is manufactured in Medina Ohio, Tulsa Ok, and Marietta GA.

clostoyo

Postby clostoyo » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:30 pm

the second ingredient is meat by products thats a no no, you can get a better cuality food for a little more i feed me dog timberwolf organics , but a know that canidae is a good food also and is cheap good luck, oh and the protein seemed low just 15% .

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:36 pm

Beef, Meat By-Products, Cereal Food Fines, Poultry, Poultry Meal, Animal Liver, Fish Meal, Eggs, Cane Molasses, Dried Beef Pulp, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Salt, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thaimine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), DL-Methionine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodide

the by products, cereal food is crap. bil jac is actually not a good food to use. you are better off wth canidae, solid gold, wellness, timberwolf

lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lucydog » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:36 pm

I have never tried the frozen Bil Jac, but the dry Bil Jac is, according to BB, really delicious. She's a picky eater too.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:06 pm

Ugh. Not a good food. It's full of by-products, animal liver? You can't get more unspecified. Cereal fines are cheap filler that the dogs can't use. Beet pulp, brewers yeast....... I would not feed this food. You are paying too much for low grade food.

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:17 pm

Isn't it greasy? Yuck.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:21 pm

my friend who is in vet school said that the AAFCO wording is important. It should say that feed test were done and it proved that it is adequate. i guess they say other things depending on the food. however, some smaller companies may not be able to afford or dont' care about that label.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:54 pm

For a food to be available on the market it has to pass aafco standards, period. They however don't really mean quality. They allow a lot of things that animals shouldn't eat, and would never be allowed in food for human consumption.

Return to “Health Issues”