Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lover's Soul

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lover's Soul

Postby Gatorpit » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:36 pm

On my weekly trip to the feed store for my usual ration of Diamond dog food, I ran across a new product (for them anyway) called "Chicken Soup for the Dog/Puppy/Cat Owner's Soul".

Ingredients:

Chicken, turkey,chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck, salmon, egg product, flax seed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, chicory root extract, vitamin E supplement, iron prteinate, zinc protienate, copper protienate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, Thiomine mononitrate, manganese protienate, manganouse oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfate (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavein, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Gaurunteed Analysis:

Crude Protein = 28%
Crude Fat = 17%
Crude Fiber = 3%
Moisture = 10%
Sodium = 0.3%
Selenium = 0.4 mg/kgt
Vitamin E = 300 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids = 3.3%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids = 0.5%

This is for the puppy chow. Has any one ever tried this brand before? I am going to try it on my pups and see if it shows even better results than Diamond.
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Great kibble and raw diet

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:37 pm

Hello!

Where we are here in Oregon, Chicken Soup has been around for a while... We (and our dogs) love it! It is one of the better priced high-end foods. Diamond is great as wel...

We make a big mix of dry kibble for our two dogs and any rescues that come in (we do a small-time rescue, usually one dog at a time or a mom with pups). We are sticklers for great animal food, and have discovered that we increase nutrition and decrease price by making a large mix. Here is a list of other wonderful dog foods for those that are interested:

Royal Canin
Nutro
Kirkland
Wysong
Proplan Puppie (not our favorite, but it is not all that bad... it can be fed to your dog for their whole life, esp. if they are active zoomers!)
Nature's Choice

There are others that are less known "feed-and-seed" specials that we come across from time to time at the feed store. Really, it is all about looking at the ingrediants and nutrition break down. You want as little carbs as possible and lotsa' protien and fat. I am sketchy of dog food high in sodium as well. We add up the precentages of everything on the nutrition lable, and deduct from 100... the number that is left is a good indication of how many carbs there are. Lower the better.

Anyone else have any good dog food suggestions?

We also suppliment with raw meat and egg yolks. Does anyone else feed raw? I have some great info and suggestions from our experience on how to add raw into a diet safely and without going broke! I can give that info individually or start a thread if anyone is interested...

I have some suggestions (on a side-note) for cat/kitten or ferret food as well. Lemme know if anyone wants it...

Well anyway, thank you all for being on this forum... My husband and I have been "floating" and reading here for a while and really love what we have seen. We are glad to be part of... We are parents to a wonderful 6 month old brindle pit bull, a 4+ yr old shep/rott mix, and a few wayward rescued cats (and a 1 and a half yr old human child!)

Stephanie
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Gatorpit » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:49 pm

I would be interested in how you add raw to your dogs diets. I supplement with chicken legs, eggs, and beef marrow bones with meat still clinging as a fun treat. They love those things. I can get a package of 18 meaty chicken legs at Publix for like $5-$6, and a six pack of marrow bones costs about $3. I usually pass out chicken about once or twice a month. Since you occasionally raise litters with moms, I have found a lot of succes feeding prgnant and nursing bitches a high quality puppy chow (so far I usually feed Eukanuba but we'll see how this Chicken Soup stuff works) supplemented by cottage cheese, eggs, raw chicken, occasional raw beef, plain sugar free yogurt, and Eukanuba canned puppy food. The one litter I have ever raised was raised on Eukanuba small breed puppy dry kibble mixed with Eukanuba growth canned formula, cottage cheese, and eggs. Those pups grew beautifully, shiny coats, fat and happy. At four weeks they were significantly larger than most 6-7 week old pups to be found around here. However, most people out here don't take very good care of their pups. They always look skinny, undernourished, and bloated with worms.

BTW_ I was visiting Petco the other day and ran across a new thing...Eukanuba weaninf formula. It comes in a bag, and is sortof a grainy powder. You mix it with water and it makes a gruel. Has any one ever heard of or tried this product?
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:05 pm

Gatorpit wrote:BTW_ I was visiting Petco the other day and ran across a new thing...Eukanuba weaninf formula. It comes in a bag, and is sortof a grainy powder. You mix it with water and it makes a gruel. Has any one ever heard of or tried this product?
Stay away for the Eukanuba. They are not animal friendly.
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:16 pm

Eukanuba used to be of better quaility... now it is Iams in a different package for a larger price. Same with Science Diet. I mean, it beats the heck out of "Atta boy" or the likes, and I think that you definately increased the quaility of mom and pups life with supplementing with cottage cheese, eggs, etc.

As far as Eukanuba's weening formula goes... have you heard of Wysong's PDG? PDG is amazing! For weaning perhaps make a soup with the PDG (it is a powder as well) and add puppy replacement milk powder. You can check out www.revivalanimal.com for PDG and other wonderful products. You can buy your vaccinations there, as well as syringes, sub-qing material, welping supplies, OTC medicine and supply for animals, and many other fab products.

Other good items to put into a puppy "soup" (great for adult dogs, too!)

olive oil
blennded flax seed
bonemeal/fishmeal (check out a local organic garden store to buy the big bags at a smaller price)
nura-stat/nutra-cal
eggs + egg shells (if made in a blender, of course! This adds calcium)
Brown Cow brand regular yogurt has milk fat on top - use the milkfat and enjoy the yogurt for yourself!
Powdered buttermilk
Powder goat milk
vitamin E powder
Dyne brand nutrition supplement (a little is all you need)

It is odd, but you can check out www.pooflinger.com for a cool meat soup suggestion. It is a website for a reputable ferret breeder, but she has a great soup recipie... http://www.pooflinger.com/chickengravy.html IT HAS GREAT PICTURES!

Sometimes we keep it really simple... we go to WINCO (a regional wholesale store here) and get meat that it cheep; don't pay over $2 a pound. Chicken and beef "bits" are good (gizzards, kidney, hearts, etc... avoid liver, though) The tough muscle meats help clean teeth. You can find good deals on stew chicken and ground beef, turkey, etc. (No pork)

Catfish does wonders for the coat as well...

:))

Food is fun for me!
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:50 pm

Nasek718 wrote:
Gatorpit wrote:BTW_ I was visiting Petco the other day and ran across a new thing...Eukanuba weaninf formula. It comes in a bag, and is sortof a grainy powder. You mix it with water and it makes a gruel. Has any one ever heard of or tried this product?
Stay away for the Eukanuba. They are not animal friendly.

yeah i agree same with iams they aren't animal freindly either :et: !!!!!!!!!! i use nurto :dance:
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby Leslie H » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:05 pm

I feed my son's dog, Cyclone, who is 12, Chicken Soup for seniors, w/a little bit of Merrick canned mixed in. She's got a sensitive stomach, and is a fussy eater, and she looks very good on this diet. She thought raw food was gross, and seemed offended that I offered it to her.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Gatorpit » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:06 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "not animal friendly"?
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:42 am

I just picked up a bag of the Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul, senior forumla, for my 12 yr old lab.
I hope she does well on it.
AllAmericanPUP

Postby kbreese » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:07 pm

I have been deciding between Wellness and Nutro natural choice (what I used to feed years ago with great success), and I recently looked more into this Chicken soup for the pet lovers soul and it looks like a great food! I'd be interested in hearing more opinions on it....

I know it was one of the top foods listed in the whole dog journal and here on rateitall.com its rated highly by the 13 people who have rated it...

http://www.rateitall.com/t-353-dog-food-brands.aspx
kbreese

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:59 am

I was going to post about Chicken Soup last night but was interrupted. I don't like the food. It's low grade and most of the people that we had feeding it have moved off due to the lack of performance. One gentleman has 5 pits and was going through 2-3 bags a WEEK. They are all active adults and were eating A LOT of that food. It reads good but in reality it is greasy, stinks, makes the dogs stink and isn't worth the money you spend on it. It's about on par with Nutro in quality. I'm also not a fan of Diamond........it performs horribly, and though it seems to be having a resurgence in popularity for some reason, every owner I have dealt with that feeds any of their products has quit using it after about a year. Pay the extra and feed Wellness.

Some reasons why it's not all that great..........
First two ingredients are fresh meat, they loose half their weight during cooking, that put them 6th or 7th on the list in reality. The chicken and turkey meal are actually ONE sourse of meat not two. When they "predigest" the meat and then dehydrate it they do them together, saves on cost. It reads better to separate them and make it look like there's more meat. They use rice twice, not a good thing. The duck and salmon fall into the same catagory as the chicken and turkey, they are fresh so they aren't a significant source of protein. I'll stop with that.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:55 pm

So you are actually saying fresh meat is a bad thing? Many quality foods have fresh meat listed, including ones you've recommended in the past, so the weight loss during cooking includes them too. And again, the argument against rice/grains? One of your highly recommended foods is Wellness, lets take a look at the ingredients:

Deboned Chicken, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Millet, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Amaranth, Peas, Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Whole Clove Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Inulin, Fructose, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.

First ingredient is fresh chicken too, whats the difference? Of the next 7 ingredients, 5 are grains...

Now I'll post my grain argument from the other thread in here:

Ok, as far as the grains go, how do you know for sure that dogs cannot digest grain?? I am not saying I know for a fact that they can digest it, but since you are saying the can't digest it, could you please lead me to some scientific evidence to prove its an indigestible food for dogs. Now, I am far from some naive kid who believes everything I read in advertisements by any means, but I find it a little hard to believe that the hundreds of dog food companies, some highly respected, are either wrong or flat out lying about the fact that its a highly digestible carb source and overall good for the dog.

The whole "in the wild" argument holds no water to anything for me. Same goes with the whole RAW argument. People always pull out the "in the wild" card. What makes you or anyone else think dogs, wolves, lions etc etc in the wild are more healthy and live longer lives?? Are these creatures so intelligent as to know whats best for their health? Do these animals conduct tests and read nutrition books in the wild? Do they discuss their new diets at some Jungle Golds Gym out there in the wild?? Heck if we had the same intelligence level would we eat a well balanced nutritious diet?? I know I'd never stuff broccoli and brussel sproats down my throat. Heck no, I'd just eat cheeseburgers, french fries, pizza and Buffalo wings all the time.

In other worlds, the whole in the wild diet thing is absolutely ludicrous. If you have a child or a puppy are you going to let them eat whatever his natural instincts desire?? The whole in the wild argument is just as ridiculous and is no grounds for proving what is or isnt actually healthy or digestible for an animal.

Now if there is scientiific proof that dogs cannot digest grains, I am all ears and if its there I will humbly bow to the facts, thank you for the info and purchase accordingly :)

Why would you recommend Wellness, when it has the ingredients you are against in other brands?
kbreese

Postby mnp13 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:53 pm

I agree that the 'in the wild' card is a bit over played. HOWEVER, dogs were created to eat a meat based diet. If you watch a wild dog or a feral dog, they do not dig up gardens and eat carrots - they chase down rabbits or other small game. If they naturally ate grains why wouldn't they just raid a corn field - corn doesn't run from them!

Dog food companies use grains as a filler, you MUST have grain to make kibble stick together.

Here are a few articles for you:

k9joy.com/dogarticles/dogfood01grain.pdf

http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/riverien/nutrigrains.htm

http://www.metropets.org/Newsroom/wholefoods.htm

Michelle
mnp13

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:40 pm

mnp13 wrote:I agree that the 'in the wild' card is a bit over played. HOWEVER, dogs were created to eat a meat based diet. If you watch a wild dog or a feral dog, they do not dig up gardens and eat carrots - they chase down rabbits or other small game. If they naturally ate grains why wouldn't they just raid a corn field - corn doesn't run from them!

and my point is that an animals natural instincts do not automatically = whats best for them. Our instincts were not much different before we evolved.

I'm still looking for scientific evidence that dogs can't digest grains. If this is the case than why would Wellness produce much more waste than say, Nutro? Right on the Wellness website they mention the dog will go more often and stools will likely be larger too. It should be the other way around if grains are truly non-digestible, especially since the initial feeding Qty amount is probably even higher with the nutro. if a food is producing more waste, than how can it really be superior? that means the dog's system is using less of the food, and scrapping the rest.

I'll check out those articles.
kbreese

Postby elegy » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:38 pm

ok now i'm confused, too. i understand the part about fresh meat, but i'm confused about the chicken and turkey meal bit.

canidae's considered a good food, and their first four ingredients are chicken meal, turkey meal, brown rice, and white rice.

fwiw, my dog had soft poops on the chicken soup adult, but she didn't eat that much more of it than she does canidae (1/4 cup a day more, actually) and she didn't really look any different.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Next

Return to Health Issues