Questions about my new Pit Pup

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Questions about my new Pit Pup

Postby ericEdge » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:24 pm

Well I got an 8 week purebred pit about 3 days ago. Anyways I just have some general questions that have not been answered online through what i have searched(i did research on how to train/raise a pit).

1- When should my pup get all her shots.(i called my vent this past weekend but left a message for them to call me back on monday).

2- Is it common for her to have worms.. or is it common for pups to have worms? Reason I ask is because I took her down the gas station that I work at(to get used to meeting people and all) and 2 customers out of my 8 hour shift said she has some what of a "belly" to her. I was told its common for pups to have worms? I dont think she does though since I felt her sides and its just the shape of her ribs..most people probably arent used to seeing pitbull pups around my area. Regaurdless I am going to get her checked out when I take her for her shots. I was just curious if its common or maybe its just common for pitbull pups to have a bit of a belly.

3- How many times should i feed her? I am feeding her Puppy Chow because I was told to by the breeder I got her off of. She eats when she feels like it and i make sure she has food in her bowl. She doesnt seem to overeat but i was just worried about whether or not she is overeating or undereating. (also should i wet her food or keep it dry? i am feeding it to her dry and sometimes she eats it to quick and she burps/coughs but only once and then she is fine)

and i have 2 unrelated health questions. just about raising her..just because each site I go to.. it says something different.

1- I am sure all pitbull pups have "nipping" problems. Where they nip your hand and all or nip furniture(anything she can find). But i know its because she is teething. The question is what is the best way to deal with this along side of telling her in a loud tone "NO". I was reading a few sites that said to palm her snout/mouth shut until she stops being bold and do that everytime she nips and wont stop BUT I feel bad doing it for long peroids of time....I tell/yell at her no and i will grab her snout for like 1-2 seconds and let her go. question is will that effect her attitude in the long run? is my method of grabbing her snout for 2 seconds a good way? PLEASE give any suggestions. because she gets out of hand sometimes :)

2- I keep her in a large pet carrier/crate when i cant keep an eye on her or when she is tired. She even walks in there on her own when she is tired and I just close the door behind here when I'm going downstairs or whatever. Is that ok keeping her in a crate till she gets bigger? At what age should i start trying to trust her in the room alone. Just making sure keeping her in a crate wont effect her in the long run.

If i have anymore questions I will post them. I am sure I do.. I just cant think of them all right now haha. Sorry I ramble its just there arent many people in my area that have the knowlledge of raising a good/well manored pitbull and many of the sites I visit have varied answers. I really just want to be a good pit owner and raise her to be a HEALTHY sweet heart.. she already is.....just want to keep her that way. I will be posting here more often...as you can see this is my first post and man.. this is the best pitbull forum I've come across yet. I'm calling this my second home. :tongue:

thanx,

eric
ericEdge

Postby Vitaliy » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:34 pm

I will not be much help with the health issues and I think you need to go see a vet asap and check up with that, untill then you should feed the dog according to what it says on the back of the food package. At least that is what I would do.

About the biting part, check out this little guide http://www.dogdaysusa.com/puppy101.asp that has a little section on that and some other things you need to consider and start doing.

Also reading these would help
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/puppy3.html
http://leerburg.com/qapup.htm
http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm
http://workingdogs.com/30puptipsg.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/8923/leash.htm
Hope those help.

Good luck, have fun, and I hope to see some pics soon. :D
Vitaliy

Postby pitbulliest » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:56 pm

Also..with the puppy chow..I don't think that's the best brand..you might wanna look into switching her onto a better food..
something like:
Wysong
Solid Gold
Canidae
Wellness (good brand!)
Eagle Pack..

AVOID!!!:
IAMS
Eukaneuba (spelling?)
I can't think of them now..but all the other grocery store brands that you can find anywhere! they're not the best in quality for your dog..even though they're easy to find and cheap...yuck.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby barbponys » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:12 pm

:welcome: Eric.

The pup should be fed 3 times a day. It's not a good idea to just leave food out for her. You can't really monitor her food intake and it tends to create very finicky eaters.

It's very normal for young pups to have worms. The pup I just got had to be wormed for round worms 5 times his were so bad. Get it done every few weeks and she should be fine, 3 wormings is pretty standard.

I would go find a decent pet store and start feeding a better quality food. Wellness, Canidae, Evolve, Natural Balance............stay away from Iams, Eukanuba, Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet, Nutro.........you pay a lot of money for those and they are pretty much crap.

I would also suggest spending some time going through a few of the dog food threads on this part of the forum, there's a ton of info in them.

vaccinations are controversial. I did 2 with Garion and he won't get any more. He will get rabies. If parvo or distemper break out here he will get a booster for those and only those, I don't do cocktails(5 or 6 in ones).

Congratulations on your little girl and............ we want PICS!!!!!! lots and lots and lots of pics. :))
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby phez718 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:20 pm

Welcome to the board, Eric :) I will answer the questions that I have answers to.

Yes, most, if not ALL, puppies have worms and should be dewormed.

Three feeding times a day for a puppy is good. I don't recommend free feeding(leaving food out all the time,) as she gets older she may start over eating or just nibbling at her food whenever she likes. There are no solid meal times with free feeding. It depends on how much your pup weighs to see how much you should feed her at each feeding time.

Puppy Chow is not a food I would recommend. It has a lot of grains and dogs can't digest grains well. There are MUCH better foods that are more expensive, but much better for your pup. Many different foods will be listed, so I will just give you my favorite. I really like Wellness, you can visit http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com to check out where they sell it in your area.

Good luck with your pup, you sound like great daddy! :thumbsup:
Last edited by phez718 on Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
phez718

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:15 pm

welcome to the bored and congrates on the new pitty pup. puppies are normally if not always born with worms you should have him dewormed even if you don't see any. you should switch his food because puppy chow is not the best for him. you should be feeding him a food were the first product is a meat product. i feed my 11year old dog nutro max. its a great food.
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby ericEdge » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:53 pm

hey guys thanx for the support and responses. any suggestions are much appreciated. here are some pics that I have so far. I will get more soon.

she has 1 blue eye. 1 brown. 3 whites paws and 1 black. she is such a sweetheart. I will post these in the pic section also. thanks again for the support. keep the suggestions coming if any. :)
ericEdge

Postby ericEdge » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:06 pm

also i forgot to ask.. is it ok to buy treats for her as rewards for when she does stuff right...so she learns. or is she to young for treats... I thought they might upset her stomache.... if so... then what treats should i get her? :)
ericEdge

Postby barbponys » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:45 pm

Treats are fine, just don't overload her with them. Something small is good, there are jerky treats that are small and all meat. There are some by a company called Zookes.
barbponys
Health Guru

Re: Questions about my new Pit Pup

Postby Maximus » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:48 pm

ericEdge wrote:1- I am sure all pitbull pups have "nipping" problems. Where they nip your hand and all or nip furniture(anything she can find). But i know its because she is teething. The question is what is the best way to deal with this along side of telling her in a loud tone "NO". I was reading a few sites that said to palm her snout/mouth shut until she stops being bold and do that everytime she nips and wont stop BUT I feel bad doing it for long peroids of time....I tell/yell at her no and i will grab her snout for like 1-2 seconds and let her go. question is will that effect her attitude in the long run? is my method of grabbing her snout for 2 seconds a good way? PLEASE give any suggestions. because she gets out of hand sometimes :)

2- I keep her in a large pet carrier/crate when i cant keep an eye on her or when she is tired. She even walks in there on her own when she is tired and I just close the door behind here when I'm going downstairs or whatever. Is that ok keeping her in a crate till she gets bigger? At what age should i start trying to trust her in the room alone. Just making sure keeping her in a crate wont effect her in the long run.

Since others have answered your first two questions, I'll hit these! Re: biting/chewing, first, make sure you've got lots of things around that are appropriate for her to chew on. Puppies need to chew, so you need to provide her something that's okay to chew on. I was, I'm discovering, incredibly lucky with my baby Chico... we've had him since he was 14 weeks old and -- maybe it was the extra time with his littermates? -- he would not put his mouth on us, ever. They learn bite inhibition playing with their littermates, so you could yelp like it hurt a lot, turn your back and end play. Make sure, when she's chewing on something appropriate, to praise her so she figures out the distinction.

A crate is an excellent tool (particularly for potty training) if, like any other, it isn't abused. Do a search for "crate training" and you'll come up with some great information.

Good luck with your pup! She's gorgeous!!! :inlove:
Maximus

Postby spane1 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:46 pm

I think everyone answered all of your questions! :hi Welcome to the board! Great looking pup!

Sarah
spane1

Return to Health Issues