My pup swallowed a whole rat........

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

My pup swallowed a whole rat........

Postby mindonmatter » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:56 pm

Well, I think it's safe to say my little SBT pup has quite the prey drive, already at this age. I was over at my parents and he caught a rat in the backyard. I heard him gag and saw him spit up a small rat onto the ground. I tried my best to get over to him and take it from him, but he's quick and picked it back up and swallowed it whole before I could catch him.

He's 13 weeks and around 12 pounds. The rat wasn't huge, but he really had to force it down his throat. I tried about 10 times to make him throw it back up by sticking my finger down his throat but nothing would come up. All that accomplished was getting me a bloody finger as he didn't like being gagged at all.

Any thoughts? Will it digest normally or do I need to see a vet? It was freshly killed, and wasn't decayed or anything. I know cats eat mice/rats, but I don't think they swallow them whole?

Thanks.
Last edited by mindonmatter on Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindonmatter

Postby X-girl » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:59 pm

:yucky:

Sorry, I have no advice for you on your digestion question. I hope he's OK!
X-girl
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:59 pm

I would watch him, but I would think it would be okay and digest normally.
jmann4

Postby STITCH » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:07 pm

You need to find out if your parents use a chemical type of pest control agent. I have a python and i wont feed him any "wild " rats because if the rat eats poison i could harm him, I would think the same would go for mamals...but im not a vet.
STITCH

Postby mindonmatter » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I"ll just keep an eye on him, and wait for a large nasty poop in the next day or so.

Stitch, no they don't use any kind of rat poison, or any chemical for that matter. These are outdoor rats that live in their garden and they don't bother trying to kill them.
mindonmatter

Postby barbponys » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:21 pm

That's a good thing. He should be fine then.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby mindonmatter » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:07 pm

Well I guess he's fine. He's eating and pooping okay....haven't seen anything hairy come out though, LOL.

I had him at the vet today for his last set of shots and asked him about it. He said it's about the most natural dog food there is, and was probably pretty nutritionable :D I wasn't really worried about the dietary/disease aspect of it, I was more worried about how big it was. I couldn't believe he was able to swallow such a big thing and thought it could cause a blockage. The vet felt around on his stomach though and said everything felt normal. He was more amused than worried, LOL.

Thanks again for the replies!
mindonmatter

Postby spane1 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:20 pm

Glad to hear your guy is ok!

Sarah
spane1

Postby concreterose » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:16 pm

That is so funny...lil' rat eatin rascal! roflmao
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:57 pm

:)) Good little boy you got there!!!! Keep the rat population under control.
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues