WORMS

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

WORMS

Postby ILLMATIK » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:09 am

i give homie this medicine called " revolution" for worms once a month, its a liquid i put on his neck, I just want to know until when do i have to do this ?
ILLMATIK

Postby Maximus » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:19 am

Revolution is a heartworm preventative (also kills fleas, ear mites, sarcoptic mange mites and ticks), but it isn't a de-wormer for intestinal parasites (other worms). Homie will need to be protected from heartworm for his entire life since it can kill a dog. It could be seasonal, depending on where you live, since heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes, but I'd check with your vet to be sure. There are other heartworm preventatives (pills and, I think, shots)... the pill is also monthly and the shot available, I think, is every six months. I use Revolution, too, because if I only had to do it every six months, I'd probably forget and I don't want to do that.

Hope that helps.
Maximus

Postby ILLMATIK » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:21 am

^ yes that helps a lot one more thing. homie was dewormed when he was a puppy, how often do you deworm or is it just that one time ?
ILLMATIK

Postby Maximus » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:23 am

How old is Homie? I think vets usually deworm puppies two or three times... If you're concerned, you can always bring in a stool (poo) sample to the vet and they can test it for parasites.
Maximus

Postby ILLMATIK » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:26 am

ya thats always true, but i doubt he has it but its still to be safe than sorry
and homie juss turned 6 months today, but still say a dog is 3 years old does he still get dewormed
ILLMATIK

Postby Maximus » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:31 am

say a dog is 3 years old does he still get dewormed

No, not necessarily, unless the vet knows he has worms. Just make sure a stool sample is a part of his yearly health exam to be sure. And if your dog has any symptoms of worms (diarrhea, sometimes with blood, weight loss, dry hair, general poor appearance and vomiting), you should get it checked out right away. Sometimes you can see worms in the poo or vomit (gross, I know), but often you can't.
Maximus

Postby ILLMATIK » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:42 am

i will bring a sample to the vet when i get him neutered this week, he doesnt have any of those symptoms, he does get diarhea and thats because he eats the pears that fall of the pear tree in my yard. that sneaky dog
ILLMATIK

Postby Maximus » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:45 am

he eats the pears that fall of the pear tree in my yard. that sneaky dog

lol Yeah, diarrhea doesn't always mean worms, but definitely bring in a (fresh!) sample this week. Last time Chico had diarrhea, he didn't have any worms, but he was pretty miserable. When I made an appointment for him, the woman answering the phone told me I didn't need a stool sample. :po: Poor Chico... when we got there, the vet had to "reach in" for a sample. :(
Maximus

Postby Blue Steel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:51 am

adoptAshelterPit wrote:the yellow junk is called Pyratel Pamoate...

Also known as Nemex-2.

:)
Blue Steel

Postby Vitaliy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:54 am

adoptAshelterPit wrote:revolution is for fleas and ticks. for worms you want to give him.... that yellow banana flavored liquid wormer. your vet will give it to you. oh crap.. i forget what its called. i can tell you tomarrow, ill find out at work.

How do you know the flavor of it? :roll:
Vitaliy

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:55 am

It smells like banana's. They do like the taste of it too. It's also called Strongid-T?
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby abman » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:22 pm

I give my dogs heartgard plus. It prevents heartworms and also protects against roundworms and hookworms.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:32 pm

A product called sentinel is supposed to be good also but i havent used it. It covers fleas and whipworms also.
abman
Matured Bully

Return to Health Issues