a pup with a popeye

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

a pup with a popeye

Postby matt » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:15 am

this might not be the best forum to ask about this (i think its mroe of an issue with the mastiff half of my pup), but ill post it anyways.

i am going to talk to our vet about this. hes allready met the pup and didnt notice it, but it took me like 3 weeks to figure it out myself!

<----take a look at the pic here.

not a great pic, but it will hopefully help me describe the issue.

his right eye is the smaller looking one, his left is the odd one. when he looks upwards towards me by keeping his head down and just moving eyes upwards, his left eye allways looks bigger. also when he sleeps and the eyes are just slightly opened, his left eye appears to hang open more, letting just some white eyeball show (the other eye looks normal).

you know the little membrane that all dogs have that move to cover the eye when they start to close their eyelids? well it looks like he is missing the left one!

he had eye surgery a few months back for eye cherries (common in mastiffs apparently), and im guessing this had something to do with it.

its goofy and makes him look a tad homely at certain times, but that just another quirk to love :inlove:

im just concerned that there could be a future health issue involved, and that this is the result of a botched surgery. (nothing in his health records about it. we have his records from the shelter where the surgery was done and it dosent mention any problems). seems like no big deal and hopefully it wont turn into one.

maybe i should find a mastiff forum :)
matt

Postby tuesdaysmom » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:52 am

Hmmm I am really not sure, I'm not against answering questions for a mastiff and I doubt anyone else is, but as a pit bull owner I don't think popeye is common in the pit bull breed. You may have better luck with that question on a mastiff forum.
tuesdaysmom

Postby matt » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:18 am

yeah, not many pitbulls need surgery for eye cherries i guess :) (im guessing this is where the oddity originated from)

i am going to post on some mastiff forums and have my vet check it when we see him next.

thanks for the reply.
matt

Return to Health Issues