Frontline or something like it

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Frontline or something like it

Postby shella677 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:25 am

I have been seeing fleas on Ace recently. Not a bunch just 1 here and there, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I have both of my dogs on Hartz flea and tick. I know this is not the best brand, but it seemed to work until now. I cant tell if Lexus has fleas or not b/c shes all black. And I dont see bites or debri (flea dirt) Just the occasional flea. But I'm afraid it could get worse. So what flea medication should I get? I need something thats waterproof and for both flea and ticks. I guess what I'm saying is I'm tired of buying the cheap stuff, give me the good stuff.

Thanks...
shella677

Postby shella677 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:24 pm

bump
shella677

Postby pocketpit » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:58 pm

If you need protection against fleas and ticks, you need Frontline! Advantage doesn't touch ticks and Revolution just kills one kind of tick. Capstar just kills fleas.
pocketpit

Postby frenzy2223 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:25 pm

I use Frontline Plus! It's seems to work great, not a flea or tick in sight!!! :doggie: :thumbsup:
frenzy2223

Postby Ann » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:35 pm

Just be aware, Frontline is a carcinogen. Look up the active ingredients on the internet to see what they are used for - I was surprised. I'm not saying don't use it, but I would weigh the risk that fleas and ticks pose to your dog and you as apposed to applying a carcinogen to your dog. I use advantage, and thankfully haven't had a tick problem this year. I guess I would just pull dog ticks off, but if she started getting deer ticks I may consider Frontline.
Ann

Postby turtle » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:41 am

Interesting... I have not used any flea stuff since I don't see any fleas. But I do put minced raw garlic in her food and it seems to work well to keep the fleas off. I hate to use poisons when they are not needed.

Does Advantage have different ingredients than Frontline? I have not used either one, actually I just gave away my brand new un-used Frontline, since my dog has no fleas. But using a cancer causing substance on my dog is certainly not what I want to do.

Did you find any articles on line about this that you could link to?

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Leslie H » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:39 am

I've always had qualms about using uneccesary toxins on my dogs. I'd also heard that if you have a female you intend to breed, that putting something on them that interferes w/the flea's reproductive cycle would be bad. My homeopath has me giving Xanny a detox substance (looks like ashes), but this doesn't fight fleas or ticks, but will fight internal parasites. We don't have a lot of fleas here, ticks are bad, though not this year.
My vet has stuff available on his site http://www.homevet.com
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby K » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:47 am

We use garlic tablets here...we had one batch of frontline make 3 out of 5 dogs very ill and said never again...
K

Postby Kelliek » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:49 am

i haven't seen any fleas here this year - but i know they are out there as other friend's pets have them. i spray Cody with Avon skin so soft and he hasn't had a single flea this summer. i usualy use frontline but found it hasn't been necessary this summer.
kellie
ps - skin so soft is also good on peolpe to keep the mosquitos away!
Kelliek

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:44 am

The chemicals used in the Frontline and Advantage are totally different. The stuff used in Hartz and most other over the counter products are highly toxic, I would quite using them.

Fresh garlic works wonders, using boric acid in your carpet, in your couch and between your matresses will keep your house flea free. It's non-toxic, and is 100% effective. 1 pound will treat 1000 sqft. Essential oils mixed with water and sprayed on the dog is a natural repellent, it smells pleasant(if you like eucalyptus), and it works. Good luck.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:05 pm

The garlic and other natural methods are wonderful... unless you happen to live somewhere like we do where the flea problem is horrible! Advantage has caused us no problems, works wonderfully, and is VERY cheap when bought in bulk on line... The Advantage you use for a dog is the same substance used for cats, ferrets, etc. The only difference is the dose. I suggest buying the big dog Advantage and then splitting it out for the pets; one big dog dose can treat 40 cats! (or 1 cat for 40 months!).... I have more info if anyone wants it....

Oh - and for every flea that you see, just count on 100 that you aren't seeing!!!
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby turtle » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't have a container for either Frontline nor for Advantage so I don't know what is in them. If any one has the ingredients list and feels like typing it, that would be helpful, thanks.

Since I only have one dog and she is inside most of the time, she does not have a flea problem. I would rather keep using the raw minced garlic in her food since it does seem to work. I can see where if the flea problem was really bad and there were multiple pets, that it might not work so well.

Oh, and Tea Tree Oil is eucalyptus oil, is it not? I do use that diluted with water and wiped on her. Poor dog, she hates it and hides... I usually only wipe her when she has been out rolling in the grass and it helps her to not to get a rash.

I just really hate putting any chemicals directly on my dog, especially when it lasts for a month and when I feel there is no need to do so. And the link to cancer is worrisome and I'd like to know more about that. I am surprised there is not more info on it as this is the first I have heard about Frontline and cancer.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Ariel Payopay » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:44 pm

Wow I never knew that about Frontline. I was just going to buy another batch.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:01 pm

We've been doing animal rescue now for a while, and have aided many other rescue groups. Advantage is the prefered method of flea treatment; it seems like everyone has a frontline horror story somehow... and the Hartz and bio-spot crap is so often deadly.....
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:00 pm

Frontline uses Fipronil
Advantage uses Imidacloprid

My post this am was too early for my brain to be able to pull those words out. Too big, too sleepy :))
barbponys
Health Guru

Next

Return to Health Issues