Pig Ears

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GrImPB

Pig Ears

Postby GrImPB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:34 pm

Anyone give these? Are they ok as a chew treat?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:10 pm

I give them to my dog... not too many though, they're pretty fatty. Some dogs will get the runs from them, but if your dog is OK, then just keep in mind its a treat, not a dietary supplement :thumbsup:

GrImPB

Postby GrImPB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 pm

Ok was just checking before I bought 100 of them that they weren't to bad. Figure they would make a nice chew treat every now and then.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:30 pm

When I used them (now I have bully sticks) I gave my pup 2-3 a week.

GrImPB

Postby GrImPB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:34 pm

Do they like bully sticks much more? I was looking at them but since im buying them online in bulk I don't want a bunch of treats my dog won't eat.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:35 pm

I would suggest going to your petstore and getting 2-3 of each and finding out what your dog likes. My dogs like bully sticks just as much, but bully sticks last longer!!

You'll have to pay more at the petstore, but at least you won't have 100 of something your dog won't eat...

GrImPB

Postby GrImPB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:38 pm

Very true, thanks for the input!

MazyStarr
Adolescent Bully

Postby MazyStarr » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:16 am

No Pig Ears, besides looking nasty they can cause blockages! Early in 2000, the FDA placed an advisory stating pork-related dog bones and chews may contain salmonella, so, if you are handling pig ears, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly. Other "bad" treats are cow hooves and rawhide bones. Rawhide is not regulated in many countries. In some these countries, arsenic-based products are used as a preservative in rawhides. Yep, you read it correctly—arsenic. That equates to giving your dog poison. They can also get stuck in their throats or scratch the espohagus on the way down.

I give my dog those Nyla bones, smoked cow bones and as a special treat soup bones from the supermarket. I found a website that suggests CORNSTARCH BONES which are made from cornstarch and are perfectly safe for your dog to eat, provided that he or she does not have food allergies. The Booda Company actually makes cornstarch toys that are completely free of preservatives and contain no animal by-products AND BETTER THAN EARS which are imitation pig ears that are low-fat and highly digestible. They are made from healthy products, such as soy flour and wheat bran. Dogs love them. Pigs love them, too, for obvious reasons!

(I found most of the info above from various websites)

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:20 pm

My dogs won't touch cornstarch chew toys, nalyabones last like 1 sec, unless its the galiao's which if they chew too much in one day, they puke from. I tried the better than ears stuff and ended up throwing the whole bag out. My dogs, and none of my neighbors dogs would eat them. My guys love pig ears. I have never heard of them causing a blockage as long as you supervise to be sure they don't swollow a large piece, which you would have to do with any chew toy. Raw hide makes my one girl puke, the other can handle it, but I don't like to feed because they are very hard for a dog to diegest. Pig is much easier to digest, and now adays, most good brands of ears irradiate them to get rid of the samonella.

PIT POPPA

Postby PIT POPPA » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:32 pm

My guys love smoked pigs knuckles, and they're about the only thing that they can't destroy in a matter of hours. Pigs ears gave them the runs, I've heard too many horror stories about rawhide chew toys and hooves are just too dang nasty smelling! [ It makes their breath smell like an open sewer!]

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:48 pm

GrImPB wrote:Do they like bully sticks much more? I was looking at them but since im buying them online in bulk I don't want a bunch of treats my dog won't eat.

Can you PM me the URL of that site?

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:38 pm

PIG EARS ARE BADDDDDDD. When I first got Jada, 3 days after having her, I had to rush her to the e-vet on a Sunday afternoon because she was lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea....a tiny piece of pig ear almost got impacted, luckily she threw it back up...after $400 of tests! The money wasn't an issue....crying all day while my 9 week old puppy was at the vet, not knowing what was going on....that was horrible.

So no more pig ears....even though I give the Better Than Ears all the time!!!

Bully sticks are great, dogs slober lots, and they don't smell great....I like the braided ones, they last SO much longer. I also give rawhides, as long as they are chewing slowly, and only under careful supervision(they LOVE rawhides...)

PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:52 pm

MazyStarr wrote:No Pig Ears, besides looking nasty they can cause blockages! Early in 2000, the FDA placed an advisory stating pork-related dog bones and chews may contain salmonella, so, if you are handling pig ears, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly. Other "bad" treats are cow hooves and rawhide bones. Rawhide is not regulated in many countries. In some these countries, arsenic-based products are used as a preservative in rawhides. Yep, you read it correctly—arsenic. That equates to giving your dog poison. They can also get stuck in their throats or scratch the espohagus on the way down.

I give my dog those Nyla bones, smoked cow bones and as a special treat soup bones from the supermarket. I found a website that suggests CORNSTARCH BONES which are made from cornstarch and are perfectly safe for your dog to eat, provided that he or she does not have food allergies. The Booda Company actually makes cornstarch toys that are completely free of preservatives and contain no animal by-products AND BETTER THAN EARS which are imitation pig ears that are low-fat and highly digestible. They are made from healthy products, such as soy flour and wheat bran. Dogs love them. Pigs love them, too, for obvious reasons!

(I found most of the info above from various websites)

:goodpost:

Return to “Health Issues”