Can a Toad Hurt My Dog????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
LibertysSavior
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: nc
Contact:

Can a Toad Hurt My Dog????

Postby LibertysSavior » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:47 pm

:oops:

Yes, this is a serious question!

Liberty got hold of a baby toad in the yard today, and I got it and relocated it to another yard...hope it doesn't come back!

However, she got a taste of the thing, and it must have been pretty :yucky: because I have never seen a dog make tongue motions like that! lol She wouldn't even pick it up again...maybe we should market "Bitter Toad" instead of "Bitter Apple!" roflmao

Anywho, are they toxic? Can she get sick? Do I need to watch for anything? This happened over an hour ago, and she's not acting weird.

I'm just a little paranoid... :oops:

User avatar
Libby
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 11502
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:16 am
Location: Vanderwagen, NM
Contact:

Postby Libby » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:39 pm

Toads do carry toxic..um..'goo' on the sides of their heads, right beside their eyes. I don't think you have to worry about the average garden toad though, I'm sure she will be fine. Most of the every day toads don't have the poison in a large enough amount to hurt anything. Just taste bad lol


Ket

GrImPB

Postby GrImPB » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:09 pm

The toads with the venom glands on the side can be a problem, but the dog has to really bite down hard to get poisoned. They release toxins by pressure to the glands. If a dog comes in contact witht he toxin it will foam from the mouth and you would have noticed by now so your okay!

User avatar
TangoJr
Matured Bully
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:44 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby TangoJr » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:36 am

mine loved catching toads and frogs the first time they tried it.
then they realized... hey... this doesn't taste very good.... and why's my mouth foaming?
Most toads arent dangerous, you just might need to follow your pup around with a sponge for a little while...


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests