Recomend a dog food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
useless

Recomend a dog food

Postby useless » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:23 pm

so I got my 3 dogs on timberwolf and they do real good on it. everyone tells me how great they look, anyways I usually buy 5 bags and it lasts me like a little over 3 months give or take. anyways they are almost done with their bag and Im gonna place and order but I heard its good to rotate the protein soruce, so I wanted to see what you guys all recomend.

they were ust on the tmberwolf wild and natural

Im thinking about the southwest chicken and herbs. as anyone tried that?

BTW both my labs are 2 yrs old and my pup is 6 months.

any help would be greatly appercaited

RescueRules

Postby RescueRules » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:29 pm

I think if you don't have any allergy issues than you'd be fine to rotate between any and all TW foods.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:38 pm

Elk and salmon is great! My dogs think it's a training treat.

usurpers26
Matured Bully

Postby usurpers26 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:42 pm

We rotate the TW. My two are on Bison now...and there are still two bags of Salmon and 2 bags of Elk in the garage.

bella_blue
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bella_blue » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm rotating TW as well. My dogs have been on Black Forest (lamb and venison) and are currently on elk and salmon. I'll try the bison formula next. They eat that stuff like it's going out of style!

usurpers26
Matured Bully

Postby usurpers26 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:19 am

I know, I have never seen my dogs react to food this way. They must think that it's a bowl of treats. And the kibble also comes in handy as training treats.

bella_blue wrote:I'm rotating TW as well. My dogs have been on Black Forest (lamb and venison) and are currently on elk and salmon. I'll try the bison formula next. They eat that stuff like it's going out of style!

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Bump****

Ok, i didnt want to make another thread about food so hopefully you guys will look in here and give me some advice. I went to get some new food today and the people i get it from have been looking for some Timberwolf for the last couple weeks for me. She hasnt found any yet and i had to buy another bag of wellness so anyway we got to talking and i was looking at what other foods she has. I told her i wanted a grain free kibble and was thinking about switching to a RAW formula.

She gave me a sample of natures variety raw nibblets and a couple samples of Natures variety raw instinct canine kibble. She said the kibble was only available in chicken right now and that they were trying to offer more proteins. And NatX also let me sample a raw meat patti which was from a different brand but probably about the same. Tommy absolutely loved this stuff. Anyway, to make a long story short, i was looking for some feedback on these foods. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Here are the ingredients for the raw instinct
INGREDIENTS
Chicken Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, Menhaden Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Chicken Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Kelp, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:07 pm

Here is the RAW meat patties ingredients for the beef. They have different lines but im sure there about the same.

INGREDIENTS
Beef, Ground Beef Bone, Beef Liver, Beef Hearts, Beef Kidney, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Chicken Eggs, Montmorillonite Clay, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid.

sol
Super Bully

Postby sol » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:13 am

Don't know why they told NV comes only in chicken....they have beef, lamb, and venison as well. Overall I consider them one of the best foods I've used.

The Raw Instinct was too rich for my pup, but he is doing excellent on the venison and millet. Its too bad because his coat became sooo shiny on the Raw Instinct and his energy levels were unbelievable(maybe a little too high lol ). Oh yeah talk about smelly farts on Raw Instinct...they have gone away on the venison and millet.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am

sol wrote:Don't know why they told NV comes only in chicken....they have beef, lamb, and venison as well. Overall I consider them one of the best foods I've used.

She said only the Raw instinct came in chicken, im not sure if thats right or not.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:58 pm

Come on guys, i really need to know about these ingredients so i can know if i should buy this food or not. Please give some feedback, i know you hate answering questions about food but thats why i didnt start a whole new thread!!!!

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:16 pm

BUMP!!! <sigh> I really need some answers!!

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:21 pm

the ingredients are fine, the issue is that the protein content is WAY high, most of us agree it is too high.

It can cause loose stools, stomach upset, all sorts of stuff.

some people's dogs have had kidney/liver problems after eating foods with high protei ncontent like this.

I Would stick with the regular Nature's Variety, personally.

The system can have a hard time breaking down that much protein in a dry food, especially if the dog isn't a working dog.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:03 pm

^^^ agreed.... i believe natures variety has a lil TOO much variety in their foodwhich can also lead to an upset tummy and an upset owner on cleanup duty (u get my drift) each ingresient there has a different level of protein content so its hard to balance it out with all the "variety" included

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:25 pm

IMO, I would choose the NV pre-mixed raw frozen patties or medallions over the NV raw instinct kibble for the reasons that Linariel mentioned.

If Tommy is having sensitivities to grain(s), this would be an option. You could also order another brand of pre-mixed raw food on-line, like Bravo, if you weren't ready to switch to raw that you prepared yourself.

Stockey eats NV frozen patties/medallions about four or five times a week and has never had a problem with them. They are nutrionally balanced by AAFCO standards and are convenient. They are expensive compared to kibble, though, especially if you are feeding them at every meal.

Return to “Health Issues”