Mosquito's

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lmalito

Mosquito's

Postby lmalito » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:38 am

Does anyone know if Advantage or Frontline repel's mosquito's and if it doesn't is there a way for dogs to contract West Nile?? We have had several cases where I live with people getting West Nile so its in our area and I can use OFF Deep Woods and that repels them from me but is there something like that for dogs...or does the flea prevention stuff protect them from it already?? I am probably just being paranoid but I dont see why if we can contract it why they cant too!!!

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:11 pm

K-9 advantix is the only one that repels mosquitoes.

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:32 pm

I use natural sprays to repel mosquitoes. I switch up between a brand that concreterose recommended or a little do it yourself recipe recommended by a bunch of people in a local rawfeeding group. That recipe calls for 10 drops of rosemary oil, 10 drops of peppermint oil and 10 drops of orange oil in an 8 oz spray bottle of water. I spray myself and the dogs before we go out for each walk. Seems to help. I haven't noticed any pesty mosquitoes flying near me. I wouldn't recommend putting OFF on yourself or the dogs. Nasty stuff!

lmalito

Postby lmalito » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:38 am

Thanks for the help guys!!! I am going to go ahead and go with the Advantage...to me that sounds like the best thing I could do for them!!!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:54 am

Not Advantage, Advantix, it's different :)

incorigabull
Newborn Bully

Postby incorigabull » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:42 pm

My holistic vet recomemded Basic-H by Shaklee. You just spray it on full strength. I know a lot of horse people use it to repel flies as well. Sorry I don't have a order phone number.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Avon's "Skin So Soft" also works for horses, dogs, people.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:04 pm

I use Fly-Off for my dog. I don't think she gets mosquito bites.

izapitty
Newborn Bully

Avon - YEAH

Postby izapitty » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:56 am

pblove wrote:Avon's "Skin So Soft" also works for horses, dogs, people.

This is a shoot, not only can you moisturize but it reples misquitos and flys!

:peace:

lmalito

Postby lmalito » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:01 am

I would have never thought of that stuff...but it is gentle enough for pups?? That is another option...they could at least be double protected with the advantix and the avon repellent!! We have had a ton of rain lately so there are swarms of mosquito's...even when we have a mosquito truck come through the neighborhood during the night!!! I just want to make sure I cover all of the basis for them to keep them healthy...its one thing to keep them protected from heartworms but I feel that I need to protect them from the mosquito's too just in case!!! :) Thanks for all the help everyone!!! :)

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:53 pm

Personally I just use heartworm preventative, and natural flea and mosquito repellants.

The problem with the topical stuff like Advantix that repels mosquitoes is that the chemical stays in their bloodstream.

Don't you think there is a reason they don't offer that stuff for humans?

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Linariel wrote:Personally I just use heartworm preventative, and natural flea and mosquito repellants.

The problem with the topical stuff like Advantix that repels mosquitoes is that the chemical stays in their bloodstream.

Don't you think there is a reason they don't offer that stuff for humans?

:clap Pretty much same here. Except, heartworm preventative is poison too, so I just use the natural flea/mosquito repellants and heartworm test twice a year instead of just once a year.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:08 pm

No... the TREATMENT for heartworms is poison... the preventative is reasonably safe in comparison...

The topicals DO NOT enter the bloodstream. They are absorbed by the oil follicles in the skin and remain there where they kill INSECTS. The chemicals seldom effect dogs because they are metabolized differently by insects than they are by mammals. This doesn't mean side effects don't occur, but they are few and far between.

Preventatives are called preventatives because they PREVENT diseases that are much more dangerous and much more costly to treat.

Sorry to get on my high horse today, but I saw a cat yesterday who was DYING of an easily prevented disease. Thats a hard lesson to learn, so please educate yourself on the risks of both the preventative AND the diseases they prevent.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:22 pm

Actually some of the topicals DO enter the bloodstream. Revolution, for one.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:28 pm

Also, her dogs aren't going to die of HW disease if she tests twice a year, and it can be solved by giving the preventative. (Not saying I agree, just that she is being careful)

The way I understand it, the stuff in heartgard just stays in the system for a few hours and cleans out any small worms.

Also, I give mine every six weeks instead of four, since that is the actual schedule, they just say four weeks to make it easy on the clients to remember.

Return to “Health Issues”