My boy can pull!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby HugABull1 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:51 am

Thanks for the replies guys - that helps :)

mala's daddy - as I'm using very little weight right now, I think we're still safe? He's not even straining or digging in, I'm sure if I wasn't on wheels, or if I didn't help him get me moving it'd be a different story, but he has NO problem pulling me a long. I'm going to be very, very careful. Angel has joint problems, and that's a total nightmare, so I'm going to do everything I can to protect Gage's joints. He's already on a high-protein diet, I feed BARF.

eric996 - rips his pads?! Poor baby!!! To be honest, that's something I worry about too, Gage doesn't get walked on pavement that often, so I'm starting out really slow to toughen his feet up a bit.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby mala's daddy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:26 pm

I heard about BARF, it's the raw carcases food right?
I just wonder what do you exactly feed him? is it totally raw?
and how's the price for, say, a month supply?
mala's daddy

Postby HugABull1 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:55 pm

mala's daddy wrote:I heard about BARF, it's the raw carcases food right?
I just wonder what do you exactly feed him? is it totally raw?
and how's the price for, say, a month supply?

BARF isn't necessarily the raw carcass deal, it just means a raw diet. BARF stands for "biologically appropriate raw foods". You get some who feed the whole carcass and that's it, and others (like me) who feed meat, bone, veggies (and some add grains), with a few other things.

My dogs eat about 70% raw meaty bones (for example, chicken necks and backs, non-weight bearing beef bones, turkey necks and backs, etc.), 15-20% muscle meat (ground beef, chicken thigh and leg with bone in, ground pork, lamb, fish, etc.), and the rest is a mixture of veggies (yams, zucchinis, beets, kale, lettuce, spinach, carrots, bean sprouts, raddichio, taro root, various squashes, beet greens, watercress, pretty much anything edible lol), plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar, kelp, fish oil, and ginger. They also get offal (organ meats) a few times a month, they snack on smelts, a small frozen fish, and I've lately been giving them a supplement called "recovery", as Angel has bad joints, and it's good for all of them.

I get most of the stuff pretty cheap. I feed three dogs (55, 50, and 35 lbs) for somewhere around $50/month. Now that I'm adding the "recovery" supplement, it's probably a bit more, as that stuff is like, $50 a bottle!!! But really, they don't need it (except Angel), I just like giving it to them.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby Leslie H » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:32 am

Chili, do you break up the bones at all? I feed Xanny pre-mixed raw, but it's costing me a mint, closer to $60 a month for 1 50 lb dog. She's a horrendous gulper, she actually tried to swallow an entire short rib whole, but it stuck in her throat, causing her to gack it, and the rest of dinner, all over. I love the relative convenience of the pre-made, but my puny salary is stretched already.
Leslie H
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues