Tommy went to the vet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Tommy went to the vet

Postby IamaDick » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:26 pm

Tommy still has these bumps on his body so i took him to the vet and they said it might be a bacterial infection so they gave me cephalexin (sp?) and a PS/2 shampoo. Hopefully this works, im tired of seeing these things. Oh, and he weighs 56.5 pounds. They also tried to get me to change his food to Hills Canine Z/D ultra. Its supposed to be hypoallergenic but when i looked at the ingredients i wasnt impressed, the first was starch? Anyway, they told me it would be good for him, but i said i would rather feed raw then that stuff. They kinda looked at me funny. roflmao

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Sorry mods, thanks for movin! :peace:

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:52 pm

:sad: Poor Tommy! I hope the meds and shampoo work for him. Is he itchy at all? How often will you have to bathe him?

Many vets don't "think outside the bag" when it comes to feeding dogs and will recommend Hills like they're on autopilot. Of course, they probably don't see many pet owners feeding their dogs a non-kibble diet.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:19 pm

It doesnt seem to bother him at all actually. And i thought it was just a food allergy, so i switched to wellness simple food solution. It hasnt seemed to improve but its not getting worse either, so i took him today. I have to bathe him twice a DAY!! Thats more then i bathe!! Anyway, i guess if it works its worth it. :thumbsup:

NatX
Matured Bully

Postby NatX » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:13 am

Well if the the antibotics and the shampoo doesn't work, I would take another look at the food. May be venture into feeding raw. LEt me know if you need some of that pre-mixed raw food.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:27 am

NatX wrote:Well if the the antibotics and the shampoo doesn't work, I would take another look at the food. May be venture into feeding raw. LEt me know if you need some of that pre-mixed raw food.

Sounds good. We shall see what works. Im hoping that stuff works so i wont have to worry about it anymore, i dont want to go to killeen with him looking like this!! And BTW, let me know if you guys get together again. :thumbsup:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:51 am

its probably the rice he is allergic to, which is why its not going away. try switching him to California natural herring and sweet potato, or the timberwolf ocean blue, elk, or bison. they dont have any grains in them.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:03 am

Maryellen wrote:its probably the rice he is allergic to, which is why its not going away. try switching him to California natural herring and sweet potato, or the timberwolf ocean blue, elk, or bison. they dont have any grains in them.

They dont have any grains at all?? I thought this line of wellness was supposed to be a good allergy food?? <sigh> I guess its time to switch, do you know where to get those foods?? Thanks

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:30 am

Hey,
Sheba was covered in bumps. Nothing would help. Solution was simple: I changed the detergent I washed her blankets in :) Went away in a week.

Migt not be your case, but think of everything that comes in contact with your dog. Answer to the allergies could be anywhere, not just food.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 am

Siberian wrote:Hey,
Sheba was covered in bumps. Nothing would help. Solution was simple: I changed the detergent I washed her blankets in :) Went away in a week.

Migt not be your case, but think of everything that comes in contact with your dog. Answer to the allergies could be anywhere, not just food.

Hmmm...thas a good point. Im not sure if its the detergent, but i should try checking other things. Thanks!

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:12 pm

ive found that any type of soap/shampoo with essence of lavender actually helps a ton to get rid of skin irritation.... also if u dont wanna spend too much you could try lemon juice, but it dries out their skin if used too much..... but IMHO essence of lavender is golden....

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:51 pm

aaronchpmn wrote:ive found that any type of soap/shampoo with essence of lavender actually helps a ton to get rid of skin irritation.... also if u dont wanna spend too much you could try lemon juice, but it dries out their skin if used too much..... but IMHO essence of lavender is golden....

Where do you get that from and what is the brand name?? Thanks

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:35 pm

try localharvest.org.... i think its like 11-12 bucks tho (like it said its a lil pricey) if you can find it cheaper than let me know... usually a couple squirts and a rub down everyday for a week will do the trick, and they spray will last a few months also... goodluck

Return to “Health Issues”