shedding more since on raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
shadyridge

shedding more since on raw

Postby shadyridge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:36 pm

hmmm it seems the gang is shedding more since they have been on raw?! i dont know if it is just because the time of the year or what. but i had read somewhere that it had said that dogs who are fed raw/barf shedd wayyy more.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:15 pm

I have not fed a raw diet and don't intend to, but from my understanding it is very common for dogs newly on raw to shed, have icky skin, smell horrific, etc. etc. etc., all of it part of the "detox" of being on the new healtheir diet.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 pm

Meant to add that it *does* go away! lol I think roughly a month before it starts to get better if memory serves.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 pm

JCleve86 wrote:I have not fed a raw diet and don't intend to, but from my understanding it is very common for dogs newly on raw to shed, have icky skin, smell horrific, etc. etc. etc., all of it part of the "detox" of being on the new healtheir diet.
I agree

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:32 pm

give it a week and it'll go away.... you gotta get past the malnourishment stage..... this can last from one week to 1.5 mos. depending on the age of the dogs and grade of previous fed food..... really all you can do is stick it out and know that your doing a greater service to your pup than giving up over a lil hair. what i did was just give them a real brisk brush down after excercising them, i promise soon your going to notice the coat getting EXTREMELY shiny, teeth will be white, and the feces wont smell (it'll be solid, white, and dry) just be patient and if you havent started craking an egg and having them get the yolk out do so (vitamins are incredible for coat sheen) if you have any other questions on raw lemme know and good luck :thumbsup:

shadyridge

Postby shadyridge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:53 pm

right but Rage and Max have been on this diet for well over 3 months!!! thats why iam thinking its seasonal??

shadyridge

Postby shadyridge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:57 pm

dam no edit button anywho....

iam really not worried about it. as they are getting fish,chicken backs,breast scraps,and the organs and we just started to add some like chicken tenderloins . and we supplement with nupro.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:37 pm

Do you have A/C in your house? The a/c makes my cats shed like crazy. My dogs are on half raw and they are shedding heavy right now. My malamute sheds for 9 or 10 months of the year here since it's so mild and he doesn't stay outside very much. I haven't really noticed a difference between when I was feeding all crap kibble to switching to 1/2 raw 1/2 wellness. I think it can be very dog dependant and also temperature, humidity, stress, exercise, life that makes them shed more or less.

kara

shadyridge

Postby shadyridge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:42 pm

they are outside dogs. its been in the high 90;s here and humid.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:47 pm

Both of mine are shedding, I think it's the season.

shadyridge

Postby shadyridge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:49 pm

ok cool. just thought i would ask

ella46
Super Bully

Postby ella46 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:20 pm

it's possible that it's detox, but my dog is shedding too. think it's the weather.

Return to “Health Issues”