Merrick and Raw?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Eclipse
Matured Bully

Merrick and Raw?

Postby Eclipse » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:35 pm

I just switched from Innova/Innova Evo to Merrick. I didn't like the results I was getting with the Innova my 2 girls seemed to get really dry skin on it. I like the Merrick and their different flavors so I am hoping this works out for them. Is it better to add in Merrick canned with their food or give them raw? I am totally clueless when it comes to raw, so with a food like Merrick is it beneficial to add in raw meat or should I just stick to straight kibble? If I do feed meat should it be the same protein that is in the kibble or a different one? Also are split chicken breasts and chicken legs good for them to eat or should I go boneless? I alternate between a spoonfull of yogurt and cottage cheese in their kibble at meal time also and twice a week they get eggs. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:48 pm

You can do whichever you like. If you decide to do half raw, make sure you do your research to give your pets as balanced a ration as possible.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 am

Raw and Kible should not be fed in the same meal. They are eaten and digested differently.

If you want to do 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble do one meal kibble and one meal Raw.

Others who do the 1/2 and 1/2 thing can probably advise you better but protein sources shoudln't matter and for a typically sized bully a chicken quater would work. Bones and skin and icky bits are just fine. THe cheapest way to to buy and whole chicken, wack it into quarters and feed throught the chicken.

But then again - if you're really not into the Raw thing, canned would be fine too.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:40 pm

I feed a Modified Raw diet. I feed raw one day and kibble the next. I like it and it is easy enough. Although I am horrible at switching the dogs diet. So I'm probably not the best person to offer advice.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:01 pm

raw mixed with kibble at the same time increases your chances of the dog getting salmonella or ecoli because the bacteria will feed on the starches, however i know hundreds of people that do it with no recourse (probably because they test now for these things) but i thought i'd let you know.... chicken quarter idea i will cosign tho its cheap easy and significant enough to make a difference (throw in an egg also every now and then to help with coat sheen) also the best place to go for cheap meat is the butcher (bundled food is cheaper) also if you dress a lil drabby and go to safeway and ask the butcher if he has anything on discount they feel bad for you and sart adding stickers to the meat to lower the price.... hehehehehe

Return to “Health Issues”