He's not Neautered.. Thats Why!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

He's not Neautered.. Thats Why!

Postby ewwies » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:02 pm

Lately I have been recieving more and more comments on how Beautiful Deno is.

Just today an older lady from about 20 feet from us just kept going on about how gorgeous and handsome Deno was. (she was walking towards us) and when she reaches us she's like Oh he's not neutered! I said.. no he's not.. i was ready to hear how important it is to get your dog spayed/'neutered from her.

But instead she said thats why he is soo handsome. Then she tells me that when she was walking towards us she kept thinking.. i bet you he's not neutered.

She says "that every dog she has seen who is neutered or gets neutered looses all muscle tone.. there body just isnt as toned when they have no balls. "

Then she says.. "it just seems that the balls keep more muscle easier."

she says that if you are responsible enough to handle your dogs who are not spayed or neutered then keep the balls. "They are beautiful with everything they are born with" "But of course they should be spayed or neutered if they are in the hands of the wrong person"

"Keep everything about him.."
and she went on her merry way.

Very nice lady.. she didnt seem like a nut.

And thats not the first time i've heard things about that.
Several people have said "he will not be as thick if you neuter him"

Someone please tell me how true or not true this is.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:05 pm

oops sorry mods... u know i actually thought about these two sections.. but then i though about how there was a story.. and there are alot of stories in general.. i know not the greatest thinking. sorry ill be more careful next time :oops:

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:06 pm

I think it's BS and I have read that it's BS. Lola has muscle tone and she's been spayed since the age of 6 mos. (She did not go through a heat cycle.) Plenty of neutered males on the forum have fantastic muscle tone, too.

This theory is discussed quite a bit and I think you should do a search. People are probably sick of talking about it to be honest.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:06 pm

She's right.... IF dogs are neutered at an early age, they do not develop the same muscle tone... dogs neutered very early also tend to get a bit taller and lankier.

But... that alone isn't a good reason to keep a PET dog intact. If you're not working your dog and not showing your dog, then IMHO it's best to neuter your dog. IF you neuter earlier, you have a good chance of cutting down on marking, mounting, and roaming behaviors.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Testosterone makes it easier for them to stay in shape - even if you don't exercise them.

When you take that away, it is more important to exercise the dog so he doesn't get fat.

This isn't true for EVERY dog but I have seen it.

Testosterone gives the male an extra "Drive" - well, not extra since they are born with it - but it is a hormone thing.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:08 pm

ok sorry ill do a more detailed search. i wasnt exactly sure what keyword to use.. i just kept getting alot of why we should spay/neuter

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:08 pm

long rant cut short NEUTER YOUR DOG!!!!! if your too worried about him not having his balls then pay a little extra and get neuticles..... my dog is neutered and as cut and toned and shiny as ever... if you feed your dog correctly and excercise him properly than his body will not change after a snip... also a neutered dog is easier to handle and less inclined to leave home and go find his piece of dog thats 6 miles from your house (because he CAN and WILL smell it out.....)

Kathy1898

Postby Kathy1898 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:58 pm

I think the lady didn't do her reseach. As long as you keep Deno exercised, he is not going to lose his muscle tone, balls or not! Get him fixed!! :thumbsup:

Besides, Chapps hasn't had his balls since he was 8 months and he is in amazing shape...Showing off his sexy ball-less self:

:inlove:

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:31 pm

Ok.... my Tonka is SPAYED....and look at the muscle on this girl....

bella_blue
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bella_blue » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:11 pm

Bella is spayed, too, and she's a little beefcake!

PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby PineysMom » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:24 pm

I have heard that their heads don't grow quite as big if you neuter them early. But Deno is already grown (mostly if not 100%), and what do you care about a big head anyway.

If a large amount of testosterone were required for muscle tone, there wouldn't be any toned, in-shape female dogs (or people for that matter).

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:31 pm

oh i know.. im not worried about any of that at all! i never said i was.. i was just curious as to what she was saying was correct. Im going to get him neutered :)

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:57 pm

My new lil man Nos was neutered early, and he is still growing and pretty darn muscular too..... ;-)

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:51 pm

dawnapbt wrote:She's right.... IF dogs are neutered at an early age, they do not develop the same muscle tone... dogs neutered very early also tend to get a bit taller and lankier.

Logan was neutered at 6 months, is that why he is so lanky instead of wide or is it because he needs a chance to grow? He will be a year at the end of this month. Don't tell me I screwed him up! :(

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:17 pm

Neutering a dog early, especially six months of age or earlier, does prolong the period of time when their growth plates will close. This occurs in horses, too. So, dogs will get a little taller. B/C the hormones are significantly reduced early on, they do not develop the same kind of musculature.

However, it's hard in an INDIVIDUAL dog to say what he would have looked like had he not been neutered early, though it's a good guess he's be a bit more muscular and less lanky. You get a better idea in linebred dogs. The dog I had before Savvy came from White Rock. WR dogs all have a certain look. Coby was neutered at 4 months of age b/c he was not show quality. He's not quite tall and very lanky. He looks nothing like a WR dog. There's nothing WRONG with him, however. He's very athletic and a generally agreeable fellow :)

Now, that doesn't mean you can't put muscle on a dog that's been neutered early. Of course you can. However, just like human males put on muscle from working out a lot easier than do females, intact males are likely to put on muscle a lot easier than dogs neutered earlier. You have two dogs side by side doing the same activity, you're going to likely see more results with the intact male dog.

You didn't screw your dog up by neutering him early. In fact, to see the best behavioral results from neutering (i.e., elimination of mounting, marking, and roaming) you SHOULD neuter your dog early. Trust me, it's a lot more pleasant to live with a dog that doesn't want to hump your visitor's legs and doesn't feel the need to mark anywhere there's the scent of another dog. Of course, early neutering is no guarantee these behaviors will not arise, but it certainly ups your odds quite a bit!

On the other hand, with the right training, you can make sure an intact male dog doesn't engage in those behaviors. It just takes a bit more work :)

Return to “Health Issues”