Flea and Tick Meds.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Flea and Tick Meds.

Postby Fish » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:06 am

Are these products safe for young dogs ( 8 weeks old )? I shouldn't have much of a tick problem but fleas is another thing. Seems like the one most recomened here is Frontline and was going to ask my Vet. this when I got Harley home.
Fish

Postby SKoth » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:41 am

If you want to use a flea product for a little pup advantage is approved for use on pups as young as 7weeks. I believe that the approved age for frontline is a little older. Frontline will also protect against fleas for 45days.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:34 am

With the little guy, Advantage should work well till he's old enough for Frontline. It will help keep the fleas out of you house when you do take him out, after that first month he will be better protected with vaccinations too and socialization is safer.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:13 pm

We have had rescued babies come in COVERED with fleas to the point that anemia was a concern.... our vet suggestet using the Advantage spray on a towl and holding it around the body for 10 minutes to kill fleas. This is a safe method for itty-bitty pups.... but at 8 weeks you can use Advantage: buy the big dog dose, empty it into a small container (we use empty babyfood containers), and then use a feeding syringe (your vet can give you one) and use .4 ML for every 6 pounds of body weight. This can be done for cats, ferrets, etc... Just so long as it is regular advantage, and not the stuff with the added heartworm protection (I think that they add Ivermectin, which can also be used for ear mite treatment...)

Feel free to ask me for more info if you are interested....
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Fish » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:13 am

Thanks for all the help.
Fish

Return to Health Issues