Are Knee Problems Common??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pit_bull_luver

Are Knee Problems Common??

Postby pit_bull_luver » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:35 pm

When we adopted my pup named Zoe she had this knee condition that the animal shelter/vets said it was common in pit bulls...i don't know how to spell or even pronounce the condition but i was wondering if anyone else had a pit with knee problems?!?!?!

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:06 pm

hip problems= common
knee problems= aside from the usual wear and tear of a jumping or hard crashing nature and of course arthritis with old age i've never heard of common knee problems with an apbt.... if you dont mind could you try to post what exactly it is so i can google it...

slechner

Postby slechner » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:14 pm

is this ACL? which, i think, is anterior cruciate ligament....or spelled something remotely similar.....

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:46 pm

if its an ACL problem than its due to wear and tear, because every ACL problem that I've ever heard of (note that as my disclaimer of uneducation-- HEARD OF...) is one that includes the animal doing some major stretching during a run or jumping/landing awkwardly so the ACL, which is a ligament in the knee, is torn. Some ACL problems, especially true in humans, will never heal correctly so you may have to spend a lil more dedication to your animal.... and im too lazy to delete all this but i just remembered that i dont know if this is the actual problem lol... if it is an ACL problem OP then there you go, but if not at least you got a lil info hehehehe :peace:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:48 pm

It may be luxating patellas. This is not very uncommon. The offa.org (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) has some good info on this. It depends on the severity, it can be bvery mild, or significant enough to require surgery.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:02 am

ACL ruptures are relatively common in the breed, and there is a genetic component to the predisposition to ACL problems. Luxating patellas are a genetic issue, and I don't know how common they are in APBTs, but the incidence is probably growing in SBTs. (no reliable records on that)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Are Knee Problems Common??

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:18 pm

pit_bull_luver wrote:When we adopted my pup named Zoe she had this knee condition that the animal shelter/vets said it was common in pit bulls...i don't know how to spell or even pronounce the condition but i was wondering if anyone else had a pit with knee problems?!?!?!
Your best bet is to have her evaluated by an orthopedic vet IMO. Good luck w/ her.

pit_bull_luver

Knee Problems

Postby pit_bull_luver » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:13 pm

Thanks for all your guys responses!! It isn't her ACL thats the problem but thank you for all the info on dog's ACL!! lol Zoe's knee cap actually didnt grow with the rest of her leg so our vet had to go in surgically and fix her knee cap, its a pretty big operation and left her with a 4 inch scar on her leg...she is finally getting the stitches out tomorrow though!! But the poor thing has to go back in 3 monthes to get the other leg operated on!! Thanks again for all your responses, I learned a lot!

pit_bull_luver

Postby pit_bull_luver » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:17 pm

aaronchpmn wrote:hip problems= common
knee problems= aside from the usual wear and tear of a jumping or hard crashing nature and of course arthritis with old age i've never heard of common knee problems with an apbt.... if you dont mind could you try to post what exactly it is so i can google it...

Alright I found out it is called Patella Luxation..I got a sheet from the vet that explains it all!! HaHa But has anyone else experienced problems like this?!?!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Knee Problems

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:31 pm

I hope she is up and running around asap.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 am

ACL tears can happen even without excess wear and tear; even normal use can overstress an incorrectly built joint (the angle of the joint in dogs with ACL tears is often defective; this structural fault obviously is a genetic/hereditary component) resulting in a partial or full tear, even at a young age.

There is a GREAT Yahoo group called Orthodogs that you may want to join, so that you can peruse the old postings (very rich in valuable info!):

http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/orthodogs

Luxating patellas are, I believe, more common in small/toy breeds of dogs (and some people have "trick knees!") than in medium and larger breeds. I found these pages, they may be useful. Good luck, and I hope she's back in working order shortly!

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=457
The OFA page on patellas: http://www.offa.org/patluxinfo.html

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:20 am

But has anyone else experienced problems like this?!?!

Yup. My older girl went trough a surgery a little after one year old.Luxated patella is actually very common in back yard bred pit bulls.I got her from PBRC, she is the obvious result of back yard breeding.
Did you get good guidelines about the recovery time?Were you suggested a product called Adequan? A couple of shots withing two weeks of the surgery and then once monthly.Also something called canine synlfex would help her joint.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:08 pm

I use a product that gets used on racehorse joints. It is called DMSO. Expensive but well worth the money. I also use another horse product called Absorbine Liniment. I love the stuff. I use it on ym knee as well as Red's bad leg. She has a partially torn ACL although it is healed now i still use them as preventitives.

Return to “Health Issues”