Question for experienced BARF'ers

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
xBullyLovex

Postby xBullyLovex » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:31 pm

Red Chrome wrote:I love feeding RAW. My vet said nothign negative about me switching to RAW food. He was actually pretty supportive. I have a good contact with a couple butchers and a really good contact on Green Tripe. :thumbsup:

I wish I could find a good contact for Green Tripe! I order it online and with the price plus shipping it's a killer LOL.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:39 pm

I'd say that I'd help you out but then I'd lose my good contact. Sorry. You can find them ont eh internet I looked for 6 months before I found this guy.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
xBullyLovex wrote:Not to mention most vets push Science diet because S.D. helps pay for vet school as long as the vet sells and recommends their product.

I'm soooo freakin sick of hearing this. We push Science diet and eukaneuba products because we think they're good foods that help pets.

Why the heck would you push these foods if they are crap?

xBullyLovex

Postby xBullyLovex » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Red Chrome wrote:I'd say that I'd help you out but then I'd lose my good contact. Sorry. You can find them ont eh internet I looked for 6 months before I found this guy.

Haha I understand. That's where I currently buy mine from, but I still look for better bargains. Now if I want clean white tripe, hey I can get that anywhere LOL but that defeats the purpose.

I called one butcher and he said what is green tripe? LOL

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:05 pm

Mos tbutchers don't know but now that I found one that knows it's great. He is local too. No Shipping for me. I met him froma guy that I was buying it from of fthe net and he finally told me about this guy here locally after I had been buying tyripe from him for a year. roflmao

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:13 pm

X-girl wrote:And others are sick of hearing that some people think these products are even remotely good. If that's the best you can do - fine. If you can do better then why wouldn't you?

Science diet foods solved several medical issues in my two cats. Its a quality product that I believe in, if it wasn't, I wouldn't sell it.

I switched my dog to Merrick at the suggestion of others on this forum, and my black dog turned brown. I switched back, and his coat is once again dark and sleek. His foot issues are also back however, so I'll be trying something new when I get back to school, for both his comfort and my own education.

However, I also understand that grains are an excellent source of nutrition, and don't worry about overcompensating and giving my dog excessive levels of protein and calcium that I see in other diets. I've read the research and know that there IS a need for large breed puppy formulas.

This forum has done wonders to increase my knowledge and acceptance of other dietary options, but it won't change what I have been taught, what I've read, and what I've seen with my own eyes. Science diet is a quality product for many pets with specific health issues, and a decent diet for many (not all, but many) pets without health issues as well.

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Misskiwi,
which diseases have you treated and attributed to raw diets in your experience, or heard about from your colleagues?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm also a Raw feeder and a member of the SF Raw co-op(besides being one of DogNerd's foster families).

This is one of the links that is helpful: http://rawfed.com/

Here is a large and very smart group of folks feeding raw. I think you may be able to search the archives without being a member and this topic frequently comes up.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:54 pm

AbNerd and Frannydoo covered it- the co-op is great and informative. Plus, once you join, you can find the list of raw-tolerant and raw-friendly vets on the SFRaw website, then search the archives to see what people have to say about these practitioners.

Some of these vets are allopaths, many are homeopaths or holistic practitioners, some provide acupuncture services as well.

I am not sure how up-to-date the SF Raw list is (I haven't looked at it in about a month and a half), but SFVS quite recently added another holistic practitioner to their practice.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:58 pm

And we head over to Creature Comfort in Oakland for amazing all around care. In fact, Franny is there right now...

http://www.creaturecomfort.com/

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:41 pm

Doberpit wrote:Misskiwi,
which diseases have you treated and attributed to raw diets in your experience, or heard about from your colleagues?

I'm not a vet yet, so I can't say I've treated anything. :)) Two years to go...

I have done a lot of research on raw diets due to obvious differences in opinions with others on this forum. The articles I have read about were generally due to feeding a poorly balanced diet for long periods of time, feeding a poorly balanced diet to puppies, and several documented cases of salmonellosis. We talked about raw food (in passing) in one of my classes, and the professor treated a group of racing greyhounds for salmonellosis. They were fed grade double D raw meat. No DUH the dogs got sick... :bully:

My experiences with raw have been positive (via friends dog), so although I don't feel confident in my ability to feed it to my own dogs, I think its fine if you would like to feed it to your own. If you can feed your kids a balanced diet, you can certainly design one for your dog. I also feel that about 50% of americans can't feed their kids properly, but thats a whole different issue.

Its obvious to me that you're doing your research and understand the risks. I have no doubt that because of these two factors alone, you are quite capable of feeding a healthy, balanced raw diet to your dogs.

The only other drawback I see with raw is if your dogs are around small children, the elderly, or other immunocompromised persons. Studies have shown that dogs fed raw chicken had higher levels of salmonella in their mouth and feces. Just like you don't want raw chicken spreading salmonella through kitchen utensils, you don't want your dogs spreading salmonella to your kids or people in hospitals if your dog is a therapy dog. It takes quite a few bacteria of a pathogenic strain to cause disease in healthy people, so this is less of a worry for the average home.

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:13 pm

Not to veer too off topic, but you think only 50% of Americans can't feed their kids properly? You are a very generous girl. I think it's closer to 80%.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:01 pm

diet and what you find to be the best treatment is solely the opinion of the person doing the feeding.... the tests that are administered by the fda to assure that a dog food is "the best nutrition" is a total piece of chocolate test that really has no bearing on the true nutrition of the dog (especially since its only tested for six months...whilst most dogs exceed the age of 7 yrs) basically no matter the diet owners are taking a risk and, after researching and weighing the risks involved, the owner must make a decision that they feel is right for their companion (as your dog is your FULL responsibility) Ive weighed my options and, IMO, raw is better, but im currently feed canidae to my kiddos for the sake of financing until i get settled into my new place.... the horrors that ive ever found due to a raw fed dog is simply due to owner negligence and/or commingling of both raw and kibble (which increases chances of salmonella as that bacteria feeds on the starches in kibble) and aside from those 2 a raw diet has proven to be better, in my eyes.... basicall all im trying to say is that the "BEST" diet for your companion is solely in the eyes of the beholder, and the only reason i get pissed off is when kibble feeders knock on barf and they dont know what the hell they are talking about (a lot of vets fall in this category) but if youve done your research and are just backing what you believe pros and cons for BOTH sides than your decision is your own and should be respected.....

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:03 pm

Doberpit wrote:Not to veer too off topic, but you think only 50% of Americans can't feed their kids properly? You are a very generous girl. I think it's closer to 80%.

i think 80 is also a lil generous hehehe lucky for humans tho, we can make up our own minds between 15 and 20 years into life... dogs dont much get that option :tongue:

incorigabull
Newborn Bully

Postby incorigabull » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:10 pm

I laugh at myself when I think about how anal-retentive I was when I first started feeding raw! I measured everything, supplamented like crazy, had feedings planned out for a month, spent hours juicing vegatables, soaking in grapefruit seed extract, and watching them eat and holding on to one end of the bone so they wouldn't gulp. Well, that didn't last long! Now its pretty much thaw and feed, whats on sale and what's available. I don't do supplaments or veggies, just a diverse diet. I've had to have emergency surgery on one of my dogs that swallowed a beef neck bone, I looked away for a few minutes and it was gone. I always watch when my dogs have "recreational bones". Dogs are forever swallowing things they shouldn't. I still feed raw. I still feed whole bones. There is risk in everything. Do what you are comfortable with. What you can live with. I've never had a dog come down with any exotic parasite or bacterial infection in six years. My dogs also "supplament" their diet by catching rodents. On occasion they gulp it down before I can get it away from them! I've fed a variety of sizes and breeds and ages of dogs from six months to sixteen years. My sixteen year old still eats raw, although I give her mostly ground and soft bones because she has little nubs for teeth. I have had some dogs with broken teeth, but I had dogs with broken teeth before I started raw, so I can't really attribute that to eating bones. My ten year old mini poodle has only had her teeth cleaned one time in her life. I can tell you that is a miracle for a small breed dog! Don't let somebody else choose for you. I went to feeding seminars and read, read, read before I started. Go at your own pace with what you feel comfortable with. Seeing the difference in my dogs is all I need.

Return to “Health Issues”