Question about my cousins new puppy and my dog Chico...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Question about my cousins new puppy and my dog Chico...

Postby Xypher » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:51 pm

My cousins next door just got a pitbull/rottweiler puppy and its about 1 1/2 months old with an overbite. I was just wondering if this has ever caused dogs any problems. I have some pics of the little guy but not of his teeth.

Also, ive been wondering about something about my dog Chico. What is he trying to do when he starts chasing the my other smaller dogs licking their faces. His eyes get all wide and he wont stop until I hold him for a few seconds. Im not too worried about him doing that but it bothers the other dogs. They play along for a bit (just like 15 seconds at most) but then they dont like it anymore and they start to bite him (all angry like) mostly his face (and he already has enough scars. Since I first took him on a walk hes been trying to get out when i go next door, he scratched him self up pretty good bending the fence to get out).
Xypher

Postby Xypher » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:26 pm

Can someone tell me something about either one?
Xypher

Re: Question about my cousins new puppy and my dog Chico...

Postby jmann4 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:29 pm

Xypher wrote:My cousins next door just got a pitbull/rottweiler puppy and its about 1 1/2 months old with an overbite. I was just wondering if this has ever caused dogs any problems. I have some pics of the little guy but not of his teeth.

No. A slight over bite is nothing to worry about.

Xypher wrote:Also, ive been wondering about something about my dog Chico. What is he trying to do when he starts chasing the my other smaller dogs licking their faces. His eyes get all wide and he wont stop until I hold him for a few seconds. Im not too worried about him doing that but it bothers the other dogs. They play along for a bit (just like 15 seconds at most) but then they dont like it anymore and they start to bite him (all angry like) mostly his face (and he already has enough scars. Since I first took him on a walk hes been trying to get out when i go next door, he scratched him self up pretty good bending the fence to get out).

I might be wrong, but a dog that licks another dogs face is showing submission. As to him getting bit in the face by the other dogs, since you know they don't tolerate it, don't let him play with those dogs.

All in all though and don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like Chico needs some obedience training. If you're already working on it, great, if not, I'd start it will help a lot of potential problems down the road.
jmann4

Postby Xypher » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:56 pm

Yeah im trying to train him but I dont get why he would be submissive (arent most dogs submissive to just dogs larger or stronger than them?) to my 2 little dogs (just small in size not age). He could hurt them if he fell on top of one like when hes playing with his toys.

Edit: And the little puppy has a bit more than a centimeter between top and bottom teeth :P.
Xypher

Postby jmann4 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:08 pm

Xypher wrote:Yeah im trying to train him but I dont get why he would be submissive (arent most dogs submissive to just dogs larger or stronger than them?) to my 2 little dogs (just small in size not age). He could hurt them if he fell on top of one like when hes playing with his toys.

Edit: And the little puppy has a bit more than a centimeter between top and bottom teeth :P.

Size as nothing to do with submissive behaviour. It's status.
jmann4

Postby Xypher » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:25 pm

Well, I can fix it right? He listens pretty good when hes on a leash.
Xypher

Postby jmann4 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:32 pm

Xypher wrote:Well, I can fix it right? He listens pretty good when hes on a leash.

Yeah, working on obedience, on leash and then off leash will help control your dog. Not cure the submissive behaviour. That is natural. And remember to never trust your dog with other dogs. While there are submissve pit bulls, even they fight.

I have a female (Angel) that is submissive to female dogs, but if a male bothers her to much, Lets Get Ready To Ruuuuuuuumble!
jmann4

Postby gooeydog » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:19 pm

Licking the face/mouth doesn't always mean submission, it can a manipulative behavior, this is how you have some dogs that will lick, but not back off when warned away, or will even escalate it into a fight. We have two dog-dominant dogs, and when these are allowed together, they start into licking each other about 3 minutes after initial greetings, and get more and more pushy about licking until they're bordering on fighting and have to be seperated. Each dog will also do the licking to our other dogs, and when warned off by the other dog, one ignores and continues; the other will jump on the lickee with intents to fight. For that reason, as soon as either of the two starts nosing around the other dogs' faces, or licking at them, they get told "leave em be", and if they don't stop, get seperated.

It's hard to say which your dog is doing, without actually seeing, but if he's irritating your small dogs enough that they get angry, and not responding to their warnings, I'd step in and stop him. That's just my opinion though, and based primarily on what I've seen with our dogs.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby whiskeyman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:20 pm

gooeydog wrote:Licking the face/mouth doesn't always mean submission, it can a manipulative behavior, this is how you have some dogs that will lick, but not back off when warned away, or will even escalate it into a fight. We have two dog-dominant dogs, and when these are allowed together, they start into licking each other about 3 minutes after initial greetings, and get more and more pushy about licking until they're bordering on fighting and have to be seperated. Each dog will also do the licking to our other dogs, and when warned off by the other dog, one ignores and continues; the other will jump on the lickee with intents to fight. For that reason, as soon as either of the two starts nosing around the other dogs' faces, or licking at them, they get told "leave em be", and if they don't stop, get seperated.

It's hard to say which your dog is doing, without actually seeing, but if he's irritating your small dogs enough that they get angry, and not responding to their warnings, I'd step in and stop him. That's just my opinion though, and based primarily on what I've seen with our dogs.

This can definitely be true. My 10 month old female will lick the mouth of my 2 1/2 old female like crazy. I know in most cases this is usually a submissive act but not it this case. As she is licking she gradually gets forcefull with it and will also pause every so often so she can put her head on top of the older bitches head. (usually a sign of a dominant behavior)

She will also put her paw on top of the older dog's head. She will do this until the older dog becomes irritated and angry. When the 2 1/2 year old lets her know that she has had enough and will take no more the younger girl will not back down. It almost seems as if she wants it to escalade into a full blown fight. This only happens in situations where they are already very excited and running around like crazy animals.

No matter what the reason for the licking I would put a stop to it. Your dog is being bitten on the face and that ain't cool. I'm sure Chico doesn't enjoy it.

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Return to Health Issues