Mange Mites!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Mange Mites!

Postby Skeptik » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:46 pm

I took Keiko in yesterday for her last set of puppy vaccinations. While I was there I asked about the small spots of fur missing from her rear end. Well, after a scrape test he said she had mange mites. Crap! Now I gotta give her some meds orally every day and take her back in 2 weeks. Anyone else have problems with mange mites?
Skeptik

Postby SKoth » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:51 pm

What kind of mites?
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby Skeptik » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:36 pm

I dunno, he just called them mange mites. I remember what it looked like, I could probably identify a picture of one. Are there different types?
Skeptik

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:48 pm

Sarcoptic mange and Demodetic mange. Demodex is bad, tough to deal with and a sign of a poor immune system. Usually a life long concern. Sarcoptic is easier to deal with..........usually a one time deal. Correct me if I'm wrong folks.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:24 pm

Sorta right....

What meds did the vet give you?
Jessa

Demodex is a PAIN, for life......
JessaNGizmo

Postby Skeptik » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:26 pm

I will check what meds tonight. I just know it's liquid and she only gets 0.2cc a day(orally). I guess I should call the vet and ask what type of mites they were. I sure hope it's not the bad ones.
Skeptik

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:39 pm

I've been down the mange road, and it's not fun, but it's not always that bad. When demodectic mange is generalized (all over their body) like with Jessa's Baloo, then it's a lifelong pain in the arse most of the time. But localized (a few small patches) is common in pups, and usually clears up so that they're fine when they're older.

Sarcoptic mange is easier to cure, but is contagious to other animals and people too, so I'd definitely find out which it is!
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby Skeptik » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:49 pm

my girlfriend just called in, and it IS demodex. However, the vet said not to worry because it is just 3 dime sized spots on her rear end. Therefore, not considered a bad case. Nevertheless, I have to worry about my first child. :sad:
Skeptik

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:13 pm

I'm surprised he prescribed Ivermectin (I'm guessing that's the med) for such a mild case? Did you ask him why he's not just letting the pup grow out of it?

Generally, localized demodex clears up on it's own with a good diet and healthy livin' :)
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:32 am

I have heard nothing but bad about Ivermectin but I had NOTHING But GOOD with Ivermectin, Atleast hes not putting the young pup thru demo dips, Those are the WORST. DO NOT forget the medicine once, keep it up and do it right and she should be good to go. You will allways have to watch her and look over her. Where did you get her? Not a breeder right?
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:35 am

Demo is HORRIBLE, but I dont think you have what Baloo had. His is generalized....
He used to look like this....

Now hes this....hes thinner once again but still fully furred and A LOT bigger!
JessaNGizmo

Postby Kelliek » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:42 am

cody had demo as a pup and was put thru 2 months of dips - its very expensive and was not working well. i went to my herbalist and we treated cody for his immune system. it was miraculous - after only 3 days his fur started growing back. i added supplements of fish oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, flax seed powder and vitamin E. i still supplement with fish oil, vitamin E and olive oil and his coat is beautiful.
kellie
Kelliek

Postby texas pit stop » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:21 am

My pup had a case of sarcoptic mange when I picked him up and I found some stuff that worked for me. Check out neem oil products from a company called "By the Planet" out of Gainesville Fla. Not only did it kill the mites but the shampoo is great killing doggy odor.
texas pit stop

Postby Skeptik » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:02 pm

No, I got her from an individual. No papers, I just saw the father dog. Anywho, I guess I'll just see how these meds play out. Perhaps I should check into some immune boosting supplements too... ?

She is really healthy other than the mange. She's really sweet and playful and full of energy. The rest of her coat is really shiny and she's got some pretty good baby muscles for a 22 pounder. I feed her mostly Wellness dry with some canned and small bits of raw food once or twice a week.

One guy at work told me to rub used motor oil on the mange spots, but I'm not so sure I'm going to try that one. lol
Skeptik

Postby texas pit stop » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:54 pm

The motor oil remedy was used back in the "old" days. Flour of sulphur is mixed into the oil and used topically. The sulphur is the active ingredient the oil is simply the medium. I have used this treatment many years ago on hounds back home in Mississippi and while it is effective I do not reccomend it.The oil can not be good for the dog.I have heard of using vaseline in place of the motor oil but there are still more modern animal friendly methods available.
texas pit stop

Next

Return to Health Issues