skinny pitbull

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Angelsmom29

skinny pitbull

Postby Angelsmom29 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:06 pm

I rescued a pitbull from a person that wasn't taking care of her. I wormed her and was going to spay her and voila she had birth. She was pregnant and I didn't know it. Well it's been 8 weeks and puppies have been weaned and she dried up but she is not gaining any weight back she is bones. Does anyone know what I can do to get weight back on her ?

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Wow, first of all good for you!!! Secondly, what are you feeding??

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:22 pm

Feed her smaller but more frequent meals. Try feeding her food that is both hot and has a strong smell. Dogs prefer hot food that smells like food over dry food like kibble.

I had a very hard time putting weight on my boy when I got him. He had to get dewormed and had been very poorly taken care of and was malnourished, all ribs showing prominently. Not a good sight. That's how I did it.

Like humans who've done the same, dogs who have not eaten well for long periods of time will prefer not to eat huge meals in one sitting. I've found it also helps them digest it easier if you feed this way.

Even thought you said you dewormed her, I would have her checked again in two weeks. Sometimes, the first time does not work.

Finally, if you can get her to move around some, do. I'm not talking about intense exercise, but just walking around several times a day can build her appetite.

Angelsmom29

Postby Angelsmom29 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:13 am

Thanks for the advice I will go buy a wormer and worm her again. I feed her dry dogfood but I water it down with hot water and it makes gravy she loves it and she is eating well just not gaining weight. I will try the frequent feedings and smaller amounts.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:51 am

Depending on what you're feeding you can feed her a puppy food as well which has a few more calories.

Angelsmom29

Postby Angelsmom29 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks for the tip.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:09 pm

some dogs will get poor from tape worms also
if you are using regular , store bought, over the counter wormer, it doesnt kill tape worms. the vet needs to giver or sell you "droncent"
You might add some other foods to her kibble, cottage cheese made from whole mlk, 4% fat might help her gain some weight
add lightly cooked meats, chicken or can mackeral, sardines in water or oil, would also help her gain some weight and give her much needed nutrition. puppies really taek a lot out of a well cared for dog, let alone one that was not properly cared for
has she been spaeyd since being weanred?
getting her spaeyd and not having her horones shooting up and down is also another benefit for her.

Angelsmom29

Postby Angelsmom29 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:59 pm

I haven't gotten her spayed yet her milk just finished drying out they wouldn't do it until it dried up. But she will be going in next week.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:38 pm

pblove wrote:some dogs will get poor from tape worms also
if you are using regular , store bought, over the counter wormer, it doesnt kill tape worms. the vet needs to giver or sell you "droncent"
You might add some other foods to her kibble, cottage cheese made from whole mlk, 4% fat might help her gain some weight
add lightly cooked meats, chicken or can mackeral, sardines in water or oil, would also help her gain some weight and give her much needed nutrition.

another one ive read by dr. pitcairn is alfalfa water (just boil some fresh alfalfa in water, let it cool down and mix in with the food) but when you take her to get spayed you could also ask your vet for other suggestions...... what are you doing about the pups?????

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:06 pm

alfalfa water?
here is one to ponder then.
I have horses, they get alfalfa, daily, to eat.
Horses also get tape worms, so wonder what the difference is from actually eating the alfalfa to boiling it ?
Why does the boiled alfalfa water make the tapes go away but the actual consumption does not?

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:46 pm

pblove wrote:alfalfa water?
here is one to ponder then.
I have horses, they get alfalfa, daily, to eat.
Horses also get tape worms, so wonder what the difference is from actually eating the alfalfa to boiling it ?
Why does the boiled alfalfa water make the tapes go away but the actual consumption does not?

sorry i didnt trim the first half of your post... i was solely talking about gaining weight not getting rid of tapeworms... theres only a drug for that, that i can recall, tho im sure Dr. Pitcairn has a few remedies up his sleeves for it as well... if you have any of his books or if you have access to them, in the back there is an entire appendix on common dog/cat ailments and a holistic way to treat them.... thats where i got the alfalfa thing from but its for weight gain..... i gotta learn to read my trims all the way through and not just cut off the bottom portion hehehe

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:54 pm

lol
o.k., now it makes more sense, as alfalfa can put some serious weight on the horses (and cause them some health issues too)!

Angelsmom29

Postby Angelsmom29 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:36 pm

another one ive read by dr. pitcairn is alfalfa water (just boil some fresh alfalfa in water, let it cool down and mix in with the food) but when you take her to get spayed you could also ask your vet for other suggestions...... what are you doing about the pups?????[/quote]

I am going to place the pups with good homes. Not for free but not high because they are not papered. I will do home visits and contracts on all the pups. But I am going to screen everyone that wants to adopt. Can't take any chances because they are full blooded pits. I am nursing mom back to health and I am going to keep her and one of the pups. Took her to the vet and she does not have tapworms she is very under weight and the pups took all of her nutrition. He gave me some liquid vitamin (don't know the name of them right off hand) to put in her food. Hope it works.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Not to preach but you should speuter them and then charge enough to cover the costs, at least then you know one part of the problem is solved.
Maybe your vet will give you a deal to do them all.

kara

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:33 pm

pittiepride wrote:Not to preach but you should speuter them and then charge enough to cover the costs, at least then you know one part of the problem is solved.
Maybe your vet will give you a deal to do them all.

kara

I second that idea.
you could probably get speutering help from pbrc too??

Return to “Health Issues”