High protein % in food??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

High protein % in food??

Postby IamaDick » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:59 pm

I read a lot of posts saying that certain foods have too high of a protein percent. What do you think is the right amount of protein??

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:29 am

me personally think anywhere between 22%- 34% is just right. i have fed 42% protein food to my dogs and they did horrible on it.. but not every dog reacts the same to high protein foods.

the normal protein range is fine for most dogs.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:24 pm

Maryellen wrote:me personally think anywhere between 22%- 34% is just right. i have fed 42% protein food to my dogs and they did horrible on it.. but not every dog reacts the same to high protein foods.

the normal protein range is fine for most dogs.

I would like to try this grainless food from TW, but it has 36% protein, do you think thats too high?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:19 pm

yes it should be fine, all mine were on timberwolf for 2 years.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:38 pm

depends on the age of the dog and the capability of the stomach...as a pup anything over 25% protein is probably going to be too much, but a 6 mo old can handle it easy.. for an adult dog (assuming they are in good shape/health) anywhere between 22-30% would be fine during the winter tho d-o-g will have as much as 35% because he does a lot of running in winter (its a ton cooler then so he likes it outside....) honestly it really depends on what your doing with the dog and if he's burning off the protein in a timely manner(if not he'll shoot water rockets) d-o-g can handle pretty much any amount of protein, unless its fish, i dont know how much content is in there but hes rocket express till its gone.... when feeding kibble, however, its better to be in the 30's range because its mixed in with so much more crap in there that dogs will pass some of the protein out in their feces unused so you have to compensate.... if your going TW i wouldnt worry too much, but your dog will let you know

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:16 pm

i put all puppies on timberwolf when they come here, and they all do fine..

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:57 pm

IamaDick wrote:I would like to try this grainless food from TW, but it has 36% protein, do you think thats too high?

I think you mean the TW Wild and Natural? That's the only one they make that is 36% protein and it is designed for hard working dogs that burn up a lot of energy. I would not feed that one to my dog nor would I recommend it for most pet dogs.

Most all of the TW kibble is grain free, they use millet instead of corn, wheat, and rice like is found in other dog foods. I've fed the Bison and the Elk with excellent results and my dog loves the food. My next bag is the Black Forest (venison) and I'm sure she'll do well on it too.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:01 pm

What is millet classified as if not a grain? Millet is a seed, often fed to birds like canaries and finches.
Just wondering....
kara

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:21 pm

oh you mean the wild and natural? sorry, no, dont put your dog on that one, but the other timberwolf foods are great too.. if your dog is a high energy working dog then yes, i agree with gfturtle.

quesp99
Newborn Bully

Postby quesp99 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:29 pm

I had some questions on the protein content too. I had my dog on the NV Raw instinct for about 3 Months... He is not 8 months old. He did OK on it. There were some diarrhea, but when I rotate between the kibble and and the Raw..His poop was consistently firm. It appears that Raw Meats makes the poop firmer. At least that is the case with my boy... Anyway, I am doing the regular NV Kibbles and rotating with the Raw. I've done TW before and had no problems.

Do you guys think the regular formulations of TW is better than NV?

quesp99
Newborn Bully

Postby quesp99 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:30 pm

He is [/b]NOW 8 months old...Typo edit to my previous post.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:55 pm

TW Ocean Blue is a grain-free formula. The protein percentage is like 24 or 26%.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:20 pm

Ok, just wanted to state that TW customer service sucks big time. On monday I ordered a bag of wild and natural (before you guys told me not 2) and i emailed them and called them the next day saying i wanted to switch the order to something else. They have not called me yet and there is still no order status on my order. WTF!! They either need to send me the bag or switch the order!!! Anyway, just wanted to rant, i hope this food is worth it. And maybe next time ill wait to hear what you guys think.

Also, if i do get the wild and natural, what might happen to my pooch??

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:55 pm

IamaDick wrote:Ok, just wanted to state that TW customer service sucks big time. On monday I ordered a bag of wild and natural (before you guys told me not 2) and i emailed them and called them the next day saying i wanted to switch the order to something else. They have not called me yet and there is still no order status on my order. WTF!! They either need to send me the bag or switch the order!!! Anyway, just wanted to rant, i hope this food is worth it. And maybe next time ill wait to hear what you guys think.

Also, if i do get the wild and natural, what might happen to my pooch??

Yes, their CS is horrible, unfortunately, but the food is worth it, in my experience. Lucy's been on it for a year now, and never looked better. I buy it locally, but may begin ordering it online again because of the free shipping.

Nothing horrible is going to happen to your dog from eating just one bag of the Wild and Natural. I think most people are more concerned with prolonged feeding of a food with a high protein percentage. My own dog finished a 16.5 lb bag of the Wild and Natural a few weeks ago and suffered absolutely no adverse affects. She does get strenuous exercise on a daily basis, though, so if your dog doesn't, the food is probably more than he will need long term. One bag won't do any harm at all, though. I think some people have reported seeing some irregularities in the bloodwork of their dogs, but this is after months of feeding, and I think this was with Evo, a food with an even higher protein percentage than the Wild and Natural.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:44 am

Ok, thanks, they finally emailed me back and said there DSL and phone lines have been off the hook so they werent able to communicate. They also said it has been shipped before they got my message so ill just use this bag and try something different next time. Thanks for the info!!

Return to “Health Issues”