Ivomec(Ivermectin) and Heartworm preventative questions.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mindonmatter

Ivomec(Ivermectin) and Heartworm preventative questions.....

Postby mindonmatter » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:30 am

I've decided to use Ivomec for Heartwom preventative instead of the overpriced Heartgard, but I have a couple of questions.

First, this is the stuff I bought. This is the what I want, right? Don't worry, this isn't where I bought it, they're overpriced. http://www.vetamerica.com/iv1iv50.html

Second. I've read that you should use .10 cc's per 10 pounds of body weight. I was looking at the amount of Ivermectin/Ivomec in Heartgard and it's much less than that. The "Under 25 pounds" version of Heartgard only has .068 cc's of Ivermectin/Ivomec in it. Is there some reason I shouldn't use that amount? Should I stick with the amount that's in Heartgard or go with the .10cc/per 10 pounds amount?

Thanks for any advise.

JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:32 am

You need to talk to your vet about this, Im not sure how much dont give to much....I gave it daily but it was basically poision to to kill the mites....
Jessa

Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:06 pm

I have tons of info on how to use ivermection correctly as a topical for treatment of ear mites... but I am not sure on heartworm. Heartworm is not a real problem 'round here, so I am not excited about using more chemicals than I have to. I know that you can do a lot of damage if you give an animals too much ivermectin, and I know that there is a sensitivity issue that some animals have (genetically - and I have heard not to give it to Collies and Shelties because of it). I guess that there is a test that a vet can do to find out if an animals has a sensitivity to Ivermectin. But that is probably not of interest to you in this case.... I will look around and see if I can find out any more info about Ivermectin as heart worm prevention.... You can buy Ivermectin at feed stores, and only a tiny bit is needed for any use.....

mindonmatter

Postby mindonmatter » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:13 pm

Thanks posts. Yes, I already have the Ivomec(Ivermectin), got it at the local feed store. Heartworms are a problem around here so it's something I need to do. It's the same ingredient that's in Heartgard, so my pup would be getting it one way or another, this way is just about 6000% cheaper, LOL. He's already had 2 doses of Heartgard with no adverse reactions, so I think he's fine with it.

I've pretty much done the research on it, and feel good about using it. I just wanted some confirmation about the amount to use. I'm not sure if I should go with the .10cc's per 10 pounds of body weight, or use the amount that Heartguard has in it(.068cc's for dogs under 25 pounds).

THanks for any info.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:59 pm

Some use that high of a dose and it's fine. What I was told was to use the .1X10lbs quarterly to really wipe out any creepy crawlies and .1x50 lbs in the inbetween months. I live down South too where mosquitoes will suck you dry in the summer. Here if a dog isn't totally covered or you miss doseages you can bet on heartworms.

I do .1x 10 because we have a high concentration of mosquitoes and heartworms here. Your own doseage of Ivermec will protect against far more than a Heartgaurd tab will. Many worms and parasites will be covered by the higher dose too.

mindonmatter

Postby mindonmatter » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:07 pm

That's just what I wanted to know....thanks for the info!!!

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:23 pm

Get a 1cc tuberculin syringe from your vet to measure it out with. I know someone who got the doseage VERY wrong and sent her dog into renal failure. It takes alot to OD but more than one person has messed up the decimal location. Your vet can hook you up.

mindonmatter

Postby mindonmatter » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:35 pm

I have a diabetic friend that gave me a couple of .5cc insulin syringes. They're very accurate, you can measure down to .01cc. Those should work right?

Also, do you just put it on a piece of bread and give it to the dog? Put it on his food? What's the best method.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:34 pm

W/out the needle, you can squirt it right into their mouth (go in through a back corner of the lip).-

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:56 pm

mindonmatter wrote:I have a diabetic friend that gave me a couple of .5cc insulin syringes. They're very accurate, you can measure down to .01cc. Those should work right?

Also, do you just put it on a piece of bread and give it to the dog? Put it on his food? What's the best method.

Those are perfect, I put mine on a piece of bread or something to avoid the "Hey, what the hell are you putting in my mouth" wrestling match. The stuff is pretty bitter from what I was told anyway.

JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:18 am

When Baloo was on it for two months he got Beef Flavored Ivermectin, He LOVED it....
Jessa

mindonmatter

Postby mindonmatter » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:16 am

Thanks guys and gals!!! Looks like I have all the info I need to medicate him at the end of the month :)

kbreese

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:49 am

So this stuff will definitely work completely as a heartworm preventative?
What else does it prevent? Whipworm? Fleas & ticks?

Also can someone point me in the direction of where to get it the cheapest?

One other question, what size container to buy for just one dog? How long does this stuff stay fresh?

Thanks,
Kevin

Edit-also, whats the toxicity of this stuff? It can't cause cancer or anything can it?

texas pit stop

Postby texas pit stop » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:47 pm

I have been using Interceptor to control heartworms for several years at my vet's recomendation. The active ingredient is milbemycin. Does anyone have any pertinent input about this product?

mindonmatter

Postby mindonmatter » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:59 pm

kbreese wrote:So this stuff will definitely work completely as a heartworm preventative?
What else does it prevent? Whipworm? Fleas & ticks?

Also can someone point me in the direction of where to get it the cheapest?

One other question, what size container to buy for just one dog? How long does this stuff stay fresh?

Thanks,
Kevin

Edit-also, whats the toxicity of this stuff? It can't cause cancer or anything can it?

It prevents heartworms just as good as Heartgard.....it's the same ingredient, made by the same company.

I beleive it's mange mites, ear mites, lung worms, heartworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms.

Your local cattle/feed store will have it for about $30-35 for a 50ml bottle(get the injectable kind, but give it orally), or you can order it online for around the same price. It's enough to do a LOT of dogs for a LONG time. It will expire 3-4 years after you buy it, and you'll still have some left. Keep it in the fridge.

I figured out that a 50ml bottle of Ivomec has more than $7000 worth of "under 25 pound" doses of Heartgard in it, all for $35 bucks. :D

Return to “Health Issues”