GA Heat is killing me.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Angels3
Adolescent Bully

GA Heat is killing me.

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:02 pm

Hi guys! I live in Atlanta, GA and this 95 degree weather is killing me. I am having a serious problem getting Kaeda outside for walks, I have extreme heat sensitivity (I do not sweat, i just pass out) and I am worried about walking her in my complex. About 5:30 when I get home I try to take her out for a walk but the last thing i need it to pass out and have her roaming loose. anyone have any suggestions? I will take any ideas and atl the least try them, Thanks in advance.

rubysmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby rubysmom » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:04 pm

i don't know what your neighborhood is like, but can you walk her early in the morning or later at night, when it's cooler?

slechner

Postby slechner » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:09 pm

if you're that heat sensitive, why are you in GA?? philly's been awful lately, heat AND humidity..... it's time to move further north.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Have you thought of carrying a spray bottle, both for you and the dog? It helps a little.If you have these health condition it is unsafe for you to be in the heat so the only option would be to walk later at night or early in the AM.
I have an inside treadmill for harsh days, maybe you can see if you can find a used one?It is really handy.Yesterday at 1.00 PM it was 115 degrees here and no way I could take the dogs out.I waited untill 6 and walked two dogs, the rest had to go on the treadmill.

slechner

Postby slechner » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:14 pm

spray bottles don't work so well with high humidity.....

kendra

Postby kendra » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:47 pm

woah, i live in canada and i am clueless when it comes to ferinhight (i knwo its spelt wrong). but it has been 35 C here and that is extreamly hot for where i live. i just take my dog for walks at night

loving_paws

Postby loving_paws » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:47 pm

They don't call it Hotlanta for nothin'.... I was born in Atlanta and now live at the edge of the Mojave Desert in CA where it's been in the 100's all summer and have a young dog that needs to go out 5 times a day. One trick I use to beat the heat on our walks is to roll up a bandana, scarf, or handkerchief and wet it with cold or ice water and put it around my neck. It works by coming in contact with the arteries in the neck and has a pretty nice cooling effect for such a simple trick. I also wear a big floppy hat to keep the direct sun off my face (but that is more for skin cancer concerns). Since a huge percentage of body heat escapes out the top of your head, a visor may be better than a hat in your case. A fabric hat can be drenched in cold water before wearing it outside too but it might be too humid there in GA for a trick like that. Sipping ice water while you are out on a walk, even if you don't feel thirsty, may help keep your internal temperatuire down. I like to fill a water bottle about 1/2-2/3 full and freeze it. Then I fill the bottle with the big frozen chunk of ice the rest of the way with water, and it makes it's own self-contained ice water deal. From coast to coast this has been the hottest July weather ever recorded so everyone try to stay cool walking your pups! Good luck with Kaeda.

Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:37 pm

Well I am in an apartment on the 3rd floor and going out after dark is out of the question, I am not in a bad area but there has been some shady dealing going on in the parkinglot lately (the authorities have been informed) I was actually walking her later last night and was approached by 3 gentlemen wanting to talk to me. I immediatly put my pup into the "lets haul ass up 3 flights of stairs mode" and locked myself in and called my boyfriend just to make my self feel a little safer. I think I am going to have to get one of those indoor dog litterboxes and hope it works for "it is too hot in july/august" months. I just cannot picture my pup going in a dog litter box, if she was a yorkie maybe... but um yeah... a Pibble in a box HAHAHA roflmao

Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:44 pm

slechner wrote:if you're that heat sensitive, why are you in GA?? philly's been awful lately, heat AND humidity..... it's time to move further north.

I keep telling myself GA is better than TX. Right now Alaska is looking nice and cool. ANyone care to join me in my igloo?

PIT POPPA

Postby PIT POPPA » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:57 pm

;
I keep telling myself GA is better than TX. Right now Alaska is looking nice and cool. ANyone care to join me in my igloo?

Swing thru NC on your way and pick me up! lol It was 94 here yesterday.
I wait until at least 9:00 or 9:30pm before I leave out walking, but last night it was still 85 at 9:30pm!!!!!!!

It doesn't bother me too bad but Sissy starts panting if we go much more than 1/2 mile or so! :doggie:

Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:35 pm

PIT POPPA wrote:;

Swing thru NC on your way and pick me up! lol It was 94 here yesterday.
I wait until at least 9:00 or 9:30pm before I leave out walking, but last night it was still 85 at 9:30pm!!!!!!!

It doesn't bother me too bad but Sissy starts panting if we go much more than 1/2 mile or so! :doggie:

You got it. I have a mazda 3 hatchback that is lowered 2". It is so easy for the dog to hop in and out of , I am sure we can lay down the other 1/2 of the backseat and throw out a towel and have plenty of room!

loving_paws

Postby loving_paws » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:58 pm

Maybe you could find a Dog Walker with better tolerance to the heat to get your Kaeda out of the house each day. Young people usually do this work for cheap but not just any old irresponsible person should be trusted for the job.

Ooh the shady characters that stroll around apartment parking lots, are you sure you're on the other side of the country? J/K lol Once a character watched me put my purse into the trunk of my car and started walking over to me and asked me if I had change for a $20 (hello I already heard about this on TV, you whip out your wallet and get robbed- duh). what made it worse is there is a mini-market right across the street where he could have broke his $20, and he had on a heavy jacket with both of his hands burried in his pockets which made me think he had a weapon as he approached. I got so damn scared, I couldn't even remember where my pepper spray was in my purse without digging for it so I reached in my trunk for the big ol' tire iron and turned around brandishing it and said "NO" in the meanest voice I could muster and the guy walked away. This is not a bad neighborhood and this happened at 10am in the morning, but I never felt so close to getting robbed in my life. It's better to be safe than sorry and stick to trusting your woman's intuition as far as I'm concerned. Take care.

georgiapblover
Super Bully

Postby georgiapblover » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:10 pm

I don't have any tips for ya, but I'm in Monroe/Loganville GA and I feel ya on the heat!!
Luckily my dogs hate the heat more than I do so they don't want to go for walks. I have to push Icey's butt down the steps just to get him to pee.
We play a little in my yard around 9-9:30 but that's all we can handle during these hot months.

MuttsMom
Matured Bully

Postby MuttsMom » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:17 pm

Sorry no tips for you either I just wanted to add some whining about the Ga heat!! Yes it's horrible, I feel your pain!!! And we are about an hour or so northwest of Atlanta, near the mountains, but believe me it's not any cooler here! Fortunately we have lots of trees/woods around our house, but no a/c... yuck. We do what we can outside before about 10am, then veg out inside all day in front of the fans where it's not too bad. We have to go back out around 7pm to feed the goats and chickens, and it's still miserable then. Right before dark we can play ball for a few minutes or take short romps in the pasture, but they don't last long as the boys all head for the water bucket or just flop down in the grass panting. I think it's the humidity that sucks the most... nothing like a muggy, sticky, hot Ga summer!!

Our forecast high here for Saturday is 76 degrees, I am SO looking forward to that!!! Ahhh... temporary relief!!

Felonysmom
Matured Bully

Postby Felonysmom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:02 am

This heat is driving me crazy too....it feels like the breath gets sucked out of your lungs when you head out your door. Felony has had a serious decrease in exercise because of it lately. I rely on water play for exercise in heat like this. Felony loves to attack water from sprinklers or the water hose and I usually get pretty soaked in the process so both of us stay a bit cooler that way. There is also a small creek in the woods near my house....I will take my folding chair out there and sit in the shallow rocky part of the creek under a shady tree and toss tennis balls down the creek for Felony. You might want to try finding a creek/lake/river nearby....other than that I'm hiding in the air conditioning and praying for fall and cooler temps lol

Return to “Health Issues”