Is it ok to feed Dry food all the time + which bones?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Kelliek » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:36 am

i also live in an apartment (for the last year) and cody hasn't gotten any fresh bones since i moved :(. cody is a serious chewer so i think that helps keep his teeth really clean (he WILL NOT let me brush his teeth). i give him bully sticks and greenies and of course he chews the heck out of his kong. other than that he is fed only dry food (no wet) and veggies and raw meat whenever i cook.
kellie
Kelliek

Postby kbreese » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:33 am

Are Kongs safe?
kbreese

Postby kbreese » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:36 am

mnp13 wrote:
barbponys wrote:Dry dog food doesn't clean teeth, sure wish that fallacy would prove out.

I have had two foster dogs who ate nothing but wet food, they had the most disgusting teeth and breath I have EVER experienced. The Keeshond was 8 years old and his teeth were BLACK. I switched him to dry food and gave him a bone and his teeth were noticeably better in a week. Yes, the bone had a lot to do with it, but I can't imagine the dry food didn't.

Dry food may not 'clean' teeth, but it sure helps to keep them in condition and looking nice.

My parent's dogs only get dry and they don't have bones or chew toys (to prevent arguements) and they have beautiful teeth.

Michelel

Our one previous mixed pit was only fed dry and some nylabones and some petstore bought beef bones (I think they were smoked or something) and She had beautiful teeth too. Almost no tartar at all and we never brushed her teeth.
kbreese

Postby mydogroxy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:46 am

my house is carpeted with cream colored carpet, so bones are definitely an issue. how i get around it is, whenever i'm going to be away for longer than usual, roxy gets a bone in her crate. by the time i get home, the bone is pretty much clean and she has free reign to take it where she pleases. it leaves no stains or odors on the carpet (she does get shooed off the bed and couch though).

i'm also a HUGE fan of nylabones. the big ones last forever. roxy usually keeps hers around for months and that's with regular chewing every day.

kongs are great too, but she's not really interested unless i stuff it with something. it's more to relieve boredom and provide stimulation than teeth maintainance.
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Previous

Return to Health Issues