The best store bought dog food is......? And why?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

The best store bought dog food is......? And why?

Postby STITCH » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:01 pm

My new pup should be born this month and i want to start him out right
so whats the best store bought dog food for my pup and should i stay with the same brand as he grows? :thumbsup:
STITCH

Postby jmann4 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:02 pm

I like Wellness. But you're going to get a alot of different views.
jmann4

Postby SuperNova » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:04 pm

I hear a lot of wonderful things about Innova and Wellness Puppy food. Right now I'm feeding my 12wk old pup Wellness Puppy food and she loves it.. eats it right up and her coat looks great, she's healthy.. etc.

How old will the pup be when you get him?
SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby STITCH » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:24 pm

He's still not born yet. im going to take him home no earlier than 8wks :doggie:
STITCH

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:28 pm

I've read quite a few posts and it seems the favorite here is Wellness.

I previously researched food extensively about a year or so ago and remembre the favorits being Canidae, Innova, Solid Gold among others. I also remember Diamond being popular but when I researched the ingredients I never understood why.

The one thing that baffles me about this forum is no one mentions ash content. When I researched previously I remember that being a big consideration. How are the ash levels in Wellness by the way? Anyone know??
kbreese

Postby STITCH » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:32 pm

we have a pet smart here in j-ville should i be able to find wellness there and how is it for the skin and coat?
STITCH

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:35 pm

www.oldmotherhubbard.com

go to the locator link and enter your zip code for stores that carry Wellness near you.
kbreese

Postby STITCH » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:53 pm

thanks for the link but they dont sell it a smaller chain store does...what is the price range on this stuff?
STITCH

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:10 pm

The ever popular "ash content". All that refers to is what is left after the food is burned, what's left is minerals. Most foods will be very close to each other since the supplementation is pretty standard. "Special" diets will sometimes have a bit lower ash content but not by much, maybe a percentage point. Unless your dog has kidney or crystal issues I wouldn't worry about it.

Stitch,
I would recommend you go to the small pet store over the warehouse.......they usually know more and are willing to take the time to talk to you. The price will run between 35 to 38 bucks for a 33 pound bag. I wouldn't get a whole bag for a small pup, the food won't last to the bottom of the bag. The oils will go rancid and you could deal with digestive upset as a result. 6 or 7 pounds should be enough for the first couple of weeks.......buying more often and keeping it fresh is a good idea. When she gets older, 6 months or so, that's the time to get whole bags.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:36 pm

As far as what's the best dry food? In my opinion that would be Timberwolf Organics. www.timberwolforganics.com
Right now they are top of the heap and the price is reasonable for what you get. They are based out of Florida so I would hope you would be able to find it.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby STITCH » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:46 pm

if i can save some cash at the chain stores ill use'um as for taking the time to talk about a product ill come here for advice. I get a more open opinion on a product cause everyone in here isnt try'n to sell me something.
STITCH

Postby SuperNova » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:50 pm

STITCH wrote:thanks for the link but they dont sell it a smaller chain store does...what is the price range on this stuff?

A 30 lb bag of Wellness puppy food cost me $48.50. No freakin joke. :roll: So expensive but worth it.. i think :))
SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:03 pm

barbony's, they don't make Wellness in 33 lb bags, they come in 30lb sizes...its the Timberwolf brand that comes in the 33lb size. I checked out Timberwolf and it looks pretty good but I don't see anything so special about it other than unique flavors. Wellness looks to be a better buy IMO, especially since you can likely get it locally and not have to pay shipping.

Regarding Ash, I always understood it to be basically....bone which is undigestible and basically sits in the dogs system and can build up over time causing problems. From all I read it did seem to be a significant consideration....

As far as price, I called the first local dealer on the list and they told me $40.99 for a 30lb bag of the Wellness Chicken adult dog food.
kbreese

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:59 pm

Yeah, I know they only do 30# bags, everyone else does 33 so I make that mistake a lot.

There's more meat in Timberwolf than any other food, that's what makes it so special. More meat, less grain. The proof is in the pudding, it feeds better than any food I ever found, except raw. Very cost effective and the dogs love it.

I don't know why you guys are being charged so much for Wellness!!!!!!! Holy Crap!!!!!!!! We are high around here and we charge 36 bucks for the chicken, and 40 for the puppy!

Ash is minerals that don't burn........... Don't know about bone, everyone I have ever spoken too about "ash" agrees.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Fish » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:56 pm

I can tell you one thing Stitch, Its going to be a LONG LONG LONG 8 weeks, I have 2 1/2 more weeks to go before we get Harley. lol
Fish

Next

Return to Health Issues