The best store bought dog food is......? And why?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:52 pm

Well, I don't think $41 is too bad considering I can't seem to find it really any cheaper online anywhere.

For Example, Dr. Foster's sells it for $35 but the total freight comes to $13.50! for a total end cost of $48.50, meaning its cheaper for me to just buy it at the local pet store.

Pet food direct sells it for $39 not including freight.
kbreese

Postby mindonmatter » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:58 am

My pup is on Innova and loves it, he isn't a picky eater at all(he'll eat anything), but he just scarfs the stuff down like nothing else.. He has such a beatiful shiny coat. It's about $34/33 pound bag. I know some of these dog foods seem expensive compared to Kibbles and Bits, but come on.....it's not going to break the bank.

Also, for you guys that have a hard time finding these types of foods, stop looking at pet stores and check your local health food stores.
mindonmatter

Postby mnp13 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:41 am

First - I have never had a puppy.

Beyond that, I have used the following foods - Royal Canin Sensible Choice, Royal Canin Natural Blend, Innova, Diamond and Canadae.

Best Coat - Canadae and Royal Canin Natural Blend
Best Breath - RB Natural Blend
Best Poop - Innova
Best Taste (Ruby is happiest to eat) - Canadae

Since all of the above brands are about equal, the taste is the most important, as Ruby is a difficult dog to get to eat sometimes. I'll deal with the death breath to have the ease of feeding her and not having to sit and convince her to eat for 15 minutes.

On other note - I would spend the few extra bucks at a small local store. Most will even price match if you ask them to. It is a very good thing to support small business and they are FAR more interested in your happiness. Once they get used to seeing you you get all sorts of benefits as well, samples etc. The store I used to go to even let me take a 30 pound bag of food home when I forgot my wallet one time, name me a chain store that would do that!!!

Michelle
mnp13

Postby STITCH » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:43 am

FISH Yeh the 8 wks after hes born will be long. My girlfriend and i have been looking foreward to bringing him home ever since the breeding was complete.
STITCH

Postby Hondovious » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:53 am

STITCH wrote:if i can save some cash at the chain stores ill use'um as for taking the time to talk about a product ill come here for advice. I get a more open opinion on a product cause everyone in here isnt try'n to sell me something.

The problem is that if you want to go with the really good foods you can't save some cash because PetsMart and Petco carry none of what was talked about above. No Canidae, no Wellness, no Innova, no Timberwolf, etc.. I feed Timberwolf and my dog loves it and looks great. It is very expensive as dog food goes but it is only about $10 a week to feed him. He eats 3 cups a day and is almost 6 months. To go from Science Diet, Euk, or Iams (which are all junk) into the premium foods is only like an extra $10 a month. Not a lot of money and a hell of a lot cheaper extra vet bills an inferior food may lead you toward. Good luck.
Hondovious

Postby kbreese » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:18 pm

One thing about Timberwolf is you can't find out where its available unless you start calling around. Their website isn't updated yet I guess...
kbreese

Postby Hondovious » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:31 pm

kbreese wrote:One thing about Timberwolf is you can't find out where its available unless you start calling around. Their website isn't updated yet I guess...

Here is a link to the list of Florida dealers: http://www.timberwolforganics.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F7268166&rnd=9612721&rrc=N&affl=&cip=67.176.28.37&act=&aff=&pg=ste_florida

Website worked ok for me.
Hondovious

Postby Fish » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:36 pm

I wouldn't count on that HE to much either, lol , never can tell what you will get. If you want males you will get female and the other way around also. lol
Fish

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:03 am

With Timberwolf, if you don't see it available in your state, contact the distributor closest to you. They are generally listed and are happy to help. They may know if it's available yet and if not they will get it too you. Don't go through the site, Mark wants the distributors to do the shipping and handling stuff. He's working on the new formulas and won't be answering emails in a timely manner, as a general rule. He will probably point you in the direction of a distributor regardless. It's worth the time to find, and the cost??? well.......all I have to say is, I wish I could eat for a month on 50 bucks.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby STITCH » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:21 pm

"fish"
I wouldn't count on that HE to much either, , never can tell what you will get. If you want males you will get female and the other way around also.

No im getting a male i have prepaid for first pick male.
STITCH

Postby moto1320 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:39 am

mindonmatter wrote:Also, for you guys that have a hard time finding these types of foods, stop looking at pet stores and check your local health food stores.

Good tip, many health food stores do carry Innova and California Naturals when you can't find it at any pet stores.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby STITCH » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:37 pm

didnt know GNC carried dog food
STITCH

Postby moto1320 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:13 pm

lol, like Earth Fare. The au natural groceries. Organic this, vegan that.... lol
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:30 am

Natural food co-ops, independant health food stores, GNC is just another monster chain.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:41 pm

All the foods listed are great foods, but it depends on how much you are willing to pay for dog food.

A good food that isn't too expensive is Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lover's Soul.

Whatever you do, do not feed anything like purina(alpo, pro plan, purin dog chow, etc.) ol roy, maxximum nutrition,iams, eukanuba,pedigree, etc.
all those foods are crap.

If you have a feed store near you, go there, they usually carry some good foods.

good luck
AllAmericanPUP

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues