The best store bought dog food is......? And why?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Hipacker » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:00 am

Is the brand IMS i good dog food?thats what i feed my 15 week old puppy
Hipacker

Postby kbreese » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:59 pm

Do you mean Iams?
kbreese

Postby Hipacker » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:50 am

yes
Hipacker

Postby mindonmatter » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:51 am

Hipacker wrote:yes

Not great stuff.
mindonmatter

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:50 am

Iam's isnt too well regarded around here.

You might want to check out what I am looking into right now I am looking into "Chicken Soup for the pet lovers Soul" (not sure if thats the exact name). its priced very well and has great ingredients. Its also a Whole Dog Journal top food and I have heard atleast 18 good reviews of it. It seems to be widely distributed to pet food stores so you could probably found somehwere close to you.

Theres lots of highly regarded foods with a good ingredient list, Iam's isnt one of them.
kbreese

Postby Hipacker » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:05 am

Darn people here where i work at says its good food and the store allso.So what is a good food?i guess i look out for sum wellness or Canidae.And i think theres a dogfood in a silver bag are something i have to go to the store tom and look
Hipacker

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:50 am

Iams and Eukanuba are some of the worst "premium" foods out there. They along with Science Diet are the lowest grade foods, on par with the grocery store foods. Wait, Iams IS grocery store now. They are owned by Proctor and Gamble and God knows that company knows NOTHING about animal nutrition. Soap? Hell yeah. They also do horrendous animal testing and will not stop.

Silver bag...........Solid Gold or Timberwolf?? If it's Timberwolf grab it. If it's Solid Gold.........it's still waaaay better than what you are currently feeding. Considering what they are no doubt charging you for the Iams, the price difference is worth it...........
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Hipacker » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:25 pm

Yeah i was reading the stuff put in Iams and it got corn in there.NO good and when i change the food do it right away?are put the iams mixed it in there till it gone?But i got like maybe around 4 cups left .I didnt really know that iams was bad now :oops:
Hipacker

Postby blover27 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Hipacker wrote:Yeah i was reading the stuff put in Iams and it got corn in there.NO good and when i change the food do it right away?are put the iams mixed it in there till it gone?But i got like maybe around 4 cups left .I didnt really know that iams was bad now :oops:

dont feel bad...you do now and are making a change...thats more than can be said of 9 out of 10 owners :thumbsup: stick around here you learn sooooo much :))
blover27

Postby All American » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:38 pm

I feed Nutro Maximum Nutrition. My dogs love the taste, they do very well on it and their coats are just lovely. From everything I know about dog food I think Nutro Maximum Nutrition is a really good quality food. Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about this food? I am ALWAYS looking for an even better food to give my dogs.
All American

Postby kbreese » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:07 pm

Most of the foods recommended in this thread are probably better than the base version of Nutro. If you are going to feed Nutro I would go with nutro natural choice which is better than Nutro max. From all I have read, it seems most dogs do very well on Nutro Natural Choice. Most people on this board will say its still a step below the other super-premium dry foods like Wellness, Innova, Canidae, Timberwolf, natural balance,Wysong etc etc.. Personally I used to feed Nutro natural choice and had great results, but now I am giving "Dick van Patten's Natural Balance" a try...this is also available at petco and costs a little more than the nutro natural. Only on my first week of trying it so can't really comment on results so far.
kbreese

Postby All American » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:35 pm

I always want to feed my dogs the BEST. I want them to live the longest healthiest lives that they can. I've got a senior dog that I am looking for a great food for. What would be the top 5 foods to choose from? And please list web site links :)
All American

Postby barbponys » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Mandy,
Are you in Brier? Like close to Lynnwood Brier? If so take a trip to About Pets or give me a call there:
425-743-3163. I work most morning, not tues. or thurs. It would be better to stop by, I would love to talk about food, and be able to show you the differences. Bring the pooches :)) would love to see them.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby All American » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:48 pm

Hi Pat, thanks for the offer. I would take it up but I can't. Im in Colville, WA :( Not Brier. I was looking at the Timerwolf Organics site and was really kind of surprised at their ingredients - Potatoes, Apples, White Fish??? Thats kind of odd stuff to feed a dog isn't it, but it is really good for them? Maybe its just because I have never heard of such a thing before. The only food I saw there that I would feed is Wild & Natural Dry™ Canid Formula BUT the protein is way too high for my senior dog in which I am looking for a new food for. Then, I went and looked at Wellness. I thought the Senior SuperMix™ sounded good. What do you all think? I want the best for my old girl. Now how about Candae for my senior dog?

Heres some info on CANIDAE® PLATINUM™-

Excellent Palatability, Dogs love CANIDAE® PLATINUM™!

4 Meat Meals, Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Fish

10 Skin and Coat Conditioners

Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids

Wholesome Nutritional Brown Rice

Natural Psyllium Fiber

Glucosamine

Chondroitin

Cranberries

Guaranteed Probiotics

Guaranteed Digestive Enzymes

Super Fortified Antioxidant Vitamins

Amino Acid Chelated Minerals

Ingredients

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Sunflower Oil, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Lamb Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Psyllium Husk, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Lecithin, Kelp, Cranberry Meal, Yeast Culture, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Ferrous Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols (source of vitamin E) Sodium Selenite, Manganous, Riboflavin (source of B2), Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation product, Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation product, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 supplement , Vitamin A supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate , D- Biotin, Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) , Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin Sulfate , Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Papain, Bromilain, Bacillus Subtilis, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) 18.50 % Vitamin E (min.) 500.00 IU/kg
Crude Fat (min.) 8.50 % Glucosamine HCL(*) (min.) 525.00 mg/kg
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00 % Chondroitin Sulfate* (min.) 425.00 mg/kg
Moisture (min.) 10.00 % Amylase* (min.) 4.00 BAU/ lb (1.81 BAU/kg)
Linoleic Acid (Omega-6) (min.) 2.60 % Cellulase** (min.) 0.25CMC units/lb (0.11CMC units/kg)
Linolenic Acids (Omega-3)(*) (min.) .60 % Protease*** (min.) 24 HUT/lb (10.8 HUT/kg)
Saccharomyces Cerevisiae~ (min.) 100,000 CFU/lb (45,360 CFU/kg)
Lactobacillus Acidophilus~ (min.) 100,000,000 CFU/lb (45,360,000 CFU/kg)
Enterococcus Faecium~ (min.) 70,000,000 CFU/lb (31,752,000 CFU/kg)

So what is the best choice here for my senior? Timberwolf Organics? Wellness? or Canidae? I kind of like what I hear about the Canidae.
All American

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:59 am

Well if you are asking Pat, she will tell you Timberwolf Organics is the best. Any of those are pretty good dry foods though.

Regarding the potatoes, apples and whitefish, a lot of higher end, holistic type feeds will have these type of ingredients. The potatoes are a carb source and fruits will add antioxidants & vitamins and minerals etc etc, and Fish is just another source of protein and I think certain fats/oils that arew good for the skin. Some think some of those type of ingredients is just a way of making the food's label prettier if you know what I mean.

I'd say the summation of what to feed is basically that a carefully planned, well balanced home-prepared meal with fresh whole foods is the best (whether it includes raw or cooked meat...many will argue raw is the best while others argue against the dangers of raw meat). Some people don't have the resources to prepare these meals for their dogs and need to buy Kibble (commercial/store bought dog food). Its basically the classic Whole, fresh foods vs processed foods.

Heather made an analogy in another thread that Kibble is the equivalent to TV dinners. Some are better than others but its still TV dinners. But if thats what you have to feed, just make sure its one of the premium brands like the ones discussed in this thread. IMO, theres not a huge difference between all the premium, high-end Holistic brands. The main thing is finding one your particular dog will happily eat and does well on. And don't feel too bad about feeding kibble b/c there are tons of stories of dogs living a happy healthy life well past their expected life span on quality kibble diets.

Personally I am going to try and do a mix of Kibble and whole fresh foods.

You might want to try to do a search on this forum as there are a lot of threads about dog food.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Last edited by kbreese on Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kbreese

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues