The best store bought dog food is......? And why?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby sam » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:39 am

The only food I saw there that I would feed is Wild & Natural Dry™ Canid Formula BUT the protein is way too high for my senior dog in which I am looking for a new food for. Then, I went and looked at Wellness. I thought the Senior SuperMix™ sounded good. What do you all think? I want the best for my old girl. Now how about Candae for my senior dog?

I have a senior pit (almost 15!). I alternate between feeding her Canidae, Wellness (the fish and potato blend, as one of my other dogs has allergies), and sometimes Solid Gold. She does amazing on all three. Her weight is maintained at a good level, her coat is great, and she no longer is "Miss Flaky Skin."

The dogs in my house right now range in age from 1 to 15, and they all do really well on Canidae.

You might also want to look into giving your old gal supplements. Slamon oil is great, gluclosimine, etc.

On another note, I used to feed one of my rescue dogs Timberwolf, and thought that it was fantastic. She was an uber picky eater and she loved it. Plus it smells great, and gave her good breathe!
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:17 am

I just switched my old lady from Canidae Platinum to Wellness for a change of pace because she LOVED the Wellness samples I brought home from the store. She loves it but the jury's still out on whether or not I will like it. She sure does poop a lot more on Wellness.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:01 am

BabyReba wrote:I just switched my old lady from Canidae Platinum to Wellness for a change of pace because she LOVED the Wellness samples I brought home from the store. She loves it but the jury's still out on whether or not I will like it. She sure does poop a lot more on Wellness.

Thats one of the things that turned me off about Wellness. Most people seem to experience the same thing and They even state themselves the dogs will poop more. To me, if the dog is eating the same amount and pooping more, than that tells me the food is inferior to what was previously being fed...how could it not be?? More poop = more waste in the food.

Also I read one review on rateitall.com of Wellness where a guys dog got Kidney stones or something to that effect and than he did ph urine tests and found the food gave a very high ph - Not sure how valid that was but it was another than that made me go hmm.

I'd like to try Timberwolf based solely on the results Pat has stated she has seen in dogs on it, but I don't think its available anywhere near me and I don't want to have to have food shipped to me.
kbreese

dog food

Postby texas pit stop » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:05 am

Just switched from Natural Balance, as Dooser would practically starve himself before eating it. Fortunately, after many calls I found a vet about 50 miles south who handles a great line of foods. I wanted to get some Natures Variety Prairie in a large bag of kibble, but they only had the canned version, so I got the Canidae. The "Doose" approves! It was so good to see him go back to snorting and tearing into his food bowl, like he did before I changed to the Natural Balance. If I knew how, I would place a big smiley face here!!!
texas pit stop

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Yeah, I don't like the extra excrement at all. More than likely, we'll be going back to Canidae Platinum. I just need to find a different retailer for it, as my last bag had mold in it. When I talked to the folks who run the store, they told me that the Platinum doesn't move very quickly so it sits on the shelves and in the back for a long time. They told me they'd order it for me, but last time I had them order something they put it out on the shelf and it sold before I got there to pick it up. Maybe I'll just go with Canidae Lifestages, I dunno yet. We'll see . . .
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:04 pm

Mandy,
Bummer, I was hoping to meet the kids.

Actually for the senior dogs the Black Forest formula of Timberwolf is the best for them. The protein isn't too high and it has no animal fat in it so they don't have to deal with the difficulty in digesting it.

Cooked animal fat is very hard on them, it's been linked to pancreatic problems. I wouldn't feed a senior formula by any manufacturer, they add a ton of grain to it and that's not a positive expecially for a senior dog.

All the fish oils are good for the skin and the "weird" ingredients are used to make the food healthier. The more "extras" they add the less grain there is. It changes the nutrient profile in a big way. It's all fresh too, no dehydrated fruits are used so the sugar index isn't through the roof. I've fed Black Forest to my 8 yr old for 18 months, it performs very well. She's not a small girl and she doesn't eat us out of house and home, her skin and coat are beautful and her nails (always a good indicator of over all health) have to be trimmed every 2 weeks. A pain in the donkey but I don't mind since she's so healthy.
barbponys
Health Guru

Re: dog food

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:44 pm

texas pit stop wrote: If I knew how, I would place a big smiley face here!!!

Not sure if you were serious about this but you just click the smiley face icons to the left (in the reply or new post screen) or else just do a : and than a D
for a :D
kbreese

emoticans

Postby texas pit stop » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:39 pm

Thank you KBreese, yes I was serious. My computor skills do not extend beyond basic typing. This is all quite new to me. I appreciate your help!
TPS
texas pit stop

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:46 pm

No problem TPS, glad to have helped! However, I am surprised you didn't demonstrate your newly learned skill lol

Since you are so new to this I will further elaborate: as soon as you click on the "Emoticons" to the left of the reply screen you'll notice it instantly fills in the text (wherever your cursor is) which activates the little face picture/animation. So you see text and than after you "submit" the post the picture will show instead of the text. Onnce you learn them, you can either click on the emoticon to the left or just type out the activating text like I showed you with the : and D example

Sorry for getting off topic everyone
kbreese

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:42 pm

barbponys wrote:Mandy,
Bummer, I was hoping to meet the kids.

Actually for the senior dogs the Black Forest formula of Timberwolf is the best for them. The protein isn't too high and it has no animal fat in it so they don't have to deal with the difficulty in digesting it.

Pat, just curious which version do you feed your dogs? If Bonnie doesnt do well by the end of this bag of Natural balance that I have, I may look into finding a place to ship some Timberwolf for a reasonable amount....
kbreese

Postby All American » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:55 pm

Lets see here. From all of the great info everyone has shared - I think I will go with Canidae for my senior. But WHICH Canidae to choose from?
All American

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:57 pm

If your decision is Canidae than just use the regular all life stages one. Just for the record though, in the past I have tried Canidae and got better results with Nutro Natural Choice. I think you will always be safe with that choice (NNC)

However, I looked further into Timberwolf and I think I have to concede to Pat that it does appear to possibly be the best kibble and looks to have a much higher % of meat protein compared to others. You might want to look into that....
kbreese

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:02 pm

Kevin,
I feed Sasha Black Forest and Garion Wild and Natural. She's done so well on the Black Forest that I won't take her off it, I will give her some of Garions food every once in a while just for variety. She likes it but she puts on weight too fast to feed much of it. I do the same with Garion too, occassionally I will toss him a couple of cups of the Black Forest.

Mandy,
If you choose the Canidae the regular is the one to go with. Steer clear of "senior" formulas. If you are certain a senior formula is what you want to feed then the Platinum is fine.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:38 pm

Pat,
thanks for your response.
which forumla would you recommend for my Bonnie? She is a 1-1/2 to 2 year rescue'd pit with an original pit build..not very big, about 50-55lbs, slightly on the thin side, good musculature...very "ripped" and has about your average pitbull energy level...but her skin is on the dry side as of right now...we just rescued her this past week...

here is a thread with her pics:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=57754#57754

(pics might not be working as host site has been down)
kbreese

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:57 pm

Kevin,
I would start her out on the Wild and Natural. Try that for the first couple of months, see how she does. She will detox and as a general rule that takes a month or so. Her coat will get dull and she will shed, her sking will flake, her breath will stink....some dogs it's more profound than others. They all go through it though to some degree. I think after she gets through that the dandruff will be less of an issue. If you can't get the Timberwolf I would supplement with oil to help her skin heal.
barbponys
Health Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues