The best store bought dog food is......? And why?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:02 pm

You mean Olive oil or is another kind of oil better? About how much is good to add per cup of kibble? (Tsp wise...)
kbreese

Postby damienApbt » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:55 pm

i was reading about dog food carried by my local pet stores..

one of them was blue buffalo
heres their list of ingredients. what do you think about it?? im trying my ability to distinguish the crap from the good.

blue dog food

i
Last edited by damienApbt on Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:01 pm

blue buffalo is an awesome food!! :headbang:
AllAmericanPUP

Postby pitbulliest » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:49 pm

barbponys wrote:As far as what's the best dry food? In my opinion that would be Timberwolf Organics. www.timberwolforganics.com
Right now they are top of the heap and the price is reasonable for what you get. They are based out of Florida so I would hope you would be able to find it.

I was looking at the website...looks like a good food..how does your dog like it? What else can you tell us about it I'm kind of interested in it... I feed wellness but I've heard alot of good stuff about Timberwolf..the only problem is they don't sell it in Toronto..ugh.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pheen » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:58 pm

I feed my dog California Natural.

Don't buy Iams, they do some sick things to animals while "testing" their products.

* Dogs and cats confined to small, barren cages, some for up to six years
* Dogs whose vocal cords had been surgically cut out so that they couldn’t bark
* Dogs with untreated ear infections, rotten teeth, and injured paws
* Workers’ reports of a live kitten who was washed down a drain
* Terrified, unsocialized animals cowering in their cages
* Kennels that were stifling in summer and near-freezing during winter
* Dogs force-fed vegetable oil through tubes inserted down their throats
pheen
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBullPride » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:59 pm

i use Natural Choice Lamb and Rice puppy. Wheat-free.
PitBullPride

Postby barbponys » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:49 pm

Sorry for the slow reply, was out of town last week.

Kevin,
I would do about a 1/2 a teaspoon per cup of food with the olive oil. I use extra virgin just cuz it's processed less.

Damien,
Blue reads pretty good but...... I don't like that fresh chicken is listed first, if in fact they use fresh it knockes the meat based protein way down. They also have an awful lot of starch, oatmeal is pretty much pure gluten, I would prefer to see whole oats instead. Salt, regardless of kind, shouldn't be added because of the the salt thats part of the vit/min. supplementation. It just isn't necessary. The big one to me though is the sunflower oil. It has been linked to itching and serious skin irritation. For some reason dogs just can't tolerate it. With Rods skin problems I wouldn't be feeding that.

pitbulliest,
Timberwolf at this point is the only dry food I would feed. It's not the easiest to find and that's a shame. It's becoming more available but it's slow going. The dogs love it, all the formulas. Garion has eaten all of them, since he comes to work with me he snacks on the kibble that misses the bag when we bulk it out. He's not a picky eater by any stretch but........ I can tell when he gets Wellness or Nature's Variety......wheeew, silent gas is deadly. lol Sasha is also not finicky, and she's done superbly on this diet. Black Forest is the best formula for her since she's older, doesn't need the high protein, and definitely doesn't need the fat. She looks beautiful, and is very happy. She actually drools for food in the morning, that wasn't the case with the Wysong. For me the proof is in the pudding. And it's not just my dogs, I see dozens of dogs the looked "good" prior to feeding this food. They were on high quality foods, they all have detoxed, they all look much better. Dogs that won't eat get excited about meals, and stay happy with their food. They will rotate through the formulas, the dogs may decide to not eat one, maybe two but there are enough left that they don't get bored. It's the best dry food that has ever been made.
Last edited by barbponys on Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby kbreese » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:59 pm

pat, welcome back.

Regarding the sunflower oil, that must just be a few select dogs that are allergic to it like antyhing else, b/c I have known so many dogs including one of my own that totally thrived on Nutro Natural which contains sunflower oil.

trust me I dont work for Nutro, this is just the food I have the most experience with.

Personally I am planning on your favorite feed of Timberwolf Organics, which after I spent some more time researching seems to be what you cracked it up to be. I am still a little undecided on which one to buy first though. I was a afraid the wild and natural might be a little too high in fat and protein as my baby only gets medium exercise (we live in an apartment..although very large, we don't have our own fenced in yard). Whats upsetting is it looks like some of the Timberwolf formulas also have some fresh meat.

Currently I am feeding Dick van pattnes natural balance. She seems ok, but recently she broke out in these hives/pimples all over her body...not sure what that is from. her coat is ok...not great....i think she is still adjusting.

Also we occasionally add in cooked meat...the other night it was pork and she had the poop big time today!! I guess some dry kiblle doesnt mix well with it. According to Timberwolf they say their formula's welcom the addition of raw or cooked meat of about 10-25% of the kibble volume...

your thoughts?...
kbreese

Postby damienApbt » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:14 pm

wow pat thanks a lot thats some killer advice. how do you know all this stuff???

what about farmore dog food?? i came across it it my searches. have you ever heard of it??

FarMore
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:30 pm

Kevin,
The Black Forest was formulated specifically for the addition of raw foods. I don't advise the feeding of raw and kibble together. The high protein and fat of the Wild and Natural isn't a problem with less excersize. With the growing kids they put it to good use even if they aren't doing tons of stuff. Garion isn't the most driven dog, his idea of heavy excersize is rooting around in the lower pasture. He's pretty damn mellow and he is certainly not fat. The benefit of it is the feeding rate is real low. Believe me, with a dog his size, it's a blessing. I urge you to give it a try, the youngsters do fabulous on it.

Timberwolf doesn't add fresh meat, it's one of the things that I don't like about it. Truth in advertising and all. I asked specifically about that and he said it's because of public perception. They believe that fresh meat is better because it's "fresh". He doesn't use it in the food. I think the guy who distributes here hates me, I'm such a pain in his tuckus.

Pork can cause the dogs to get the squirts. They don't tolerate it all that well. Just my experience, and I don't feed it as a result. Certainly not raw, even if I got it for free. It's not worth the possible risk.

I'm glad to hear your dogs do well on the sunflower oil, we've seen too many dogs not able to tolerate it, and their skin was inflammed and terribly itchy. I don't know why that is but...... it's just not an oil I would recommend using with them.

Damien,
I'm a pathetic individual and for some reason love pet nutrition. Everything I seem to hear or read sticks. Pretty amazing considering how my brain seems to forget too many things these days.

We have carried Farmore in the past. It is a good basic raw diet. Very basic, and it didn't sell well, the dogs didn't seem to much like it so we quite offering it. We replaced it with Nature's Variety.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby kbreese » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:51 pm

barbponys wrote:Kevin,

Timberwolf doesn't add fresh meat, it's one of the things that I don't like about it. Truth in advertising and all. I asked specifically about that and he said it's because of public perception. They believe that fresh meat is better because it's "fresh". He doesn't use it in the food. I think the guy who distributes here hates me, I'm such a pain in his tuckus.

I tried a couple times, but coulddn't get this paragraph to make any sense ???

your saying timberwolf doesn't add fresh meat and you don't like that?? What about the whole its mostly water thing...I remember you saying you didn't like "fresh meat" as an ingredient. What am I missing.

As far as the wild and natural, my girl is about 2 years old so she isnt a growing kid anymore :)
kbreese

Previous

Return to Health Issues