Interesting post about Vaccinations

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Interesting post about Vaccinations

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:01 pm

Found this online:

"Hi my name is Scott I am a veterinary student at Texas A&M. I was reading some of your info in vaccines and thought I'd up-date you a little. The only shots required for dogs are @ 8, 12, & 16 wks distemper/parvo and rabies at 16 wks. These same vaccines should be given again at 1 yr. From that point on the rabies if given a 3yr vaccine need only be given every 3 yrs. The distemper/parvo creates a 7-9 yr immunity if given as a puppy so adults should not be given distemper/parvo again until age 8yr, but even at this point they my not need it. I know its hard not to vaccinate every year, but over vaccination is more dangerous than not vaccinating at all.

(Scott)"

is this true that rabies shots only need to be given every 3 years and distemper/parvo shots not again until 7-9 years? Are there any other routine vaccines that dogs get? As far as I know its just these...
kbreese

Postby Leslie H » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:54 pm

Yep, that is about what I've heard too. Rabies needs to be done to meet your state guidelines, and in some high rabies areas, people still do yearly. We tend to over vaccinate.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:45 pm

It all depends. Rabies can be 1-3 years, but you have to check your local laws. Past that, it depends on what you want to do with your dogs. TDI has some manditory vaccinations, some kennels and dog shows do as well.

I've never heard that giving a puppy a shot provides 7-9 years of protection - if that was true, why wouldn't the shot give the same immunity to an adult?

You can also get titre checks instead of vaccinating to see if the dog still has the immunity. Over vaccination is a HUGE problem, suspected in cancer and other diseases in animals as well as Autism in humans.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:41 pm

It's interesting, some clinics around here vaccinate for rabies annually, but the state has a 3 year law. I've never vaccinated my dogs for rabies more often than that. If I could get away with it I would vaccinate every 6. I don't vaccinate for anything else either. Sash and Goliath have been given one shot in their lives, aside from rabies, and Garion will be the same. He will be getting his first rabies vaccination next month.

My horses don't get vaccinated either except for tetnus. My one mare had a violent reaction to the west nile vaccine so that was it for her. Scared the crap out of me too.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby mindonmatter » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:43 am

My pup got his first set of shots and won't get anything else except the mandated rabies shots(every three years I believe).
mindonmatter

Postby elegy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:25 am

so barb you don't give dhlpp at all?

it's interesting to read the veterinary practice magazines- the vaccine protocol yearly vs 3 years thing was all over them for awhile. a lot of vets want to vaccinate every year because it gets the people into the office. if it weren't for "required shots" they figure most people woudn't bother with an office visit, period.

while i agree we horrendously overvaccinate our animals, i do see their point.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Leslie H » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:46 am

I think the way the vaccination process can be done (excluding rabies) is basic puppyshots (though less of the combos that may not be needed, or giving things seperately rather than combined such as a 5 way rather than 7 way, doing lepto seperately), then a booster at one year.
I would not ever reccommend doing a puppy just 1 time. Often, maternal antibodies are still functioning in a younger pup, these actually fight the vaccination, Then as they fade out, the pup has no protection. I was told that pups should be weaned for at least 2 weeks prior to their first shot, but wouldn't have really developed antibodies until after their second shot.
Michelle, for TDI, my vet gave the standard vaccines, but wrote that he was following the 3 year protocol. They didn't complain about that, but this is her first year w/TDI, and she was vaccinated this year.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:41 am

The three year protocol is fine for TDI, but due to Ruby's health problems I want to drop all but the rabies. A vet can write a letter explaining why they do not recommend vaccinations. Ruby could never be kenneled anyway, so the kennel cough isn't much of an issue for her.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby kbreese » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:24 pm

What is TDI? thats for Kennel Cough?

So what are all the possible adult shots?

Rabies
Distemper
TDI (Kennel Cough)

so would it go like this:

Rabies -every 3 years
Distemper - nothing after intial puppy shots
TDI - every 3 years (optional)

??
kbreese

Postby PitbullGirl » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Our dog's first rabies shot was good for a year...after that they got the 3 year ones and only get the 3 year ones now...for some reason or another, our vet suggested the first one be only a year
PitbullGirl

Postby PitbullGirl » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:55 pm

mnp13 wrote: Ruby could never be kenneled anyway, so the kennel cough isn't much of an issue for her.

Michelle

That isn't necessarily true...we had a rescue that picked up bordetalla from a vet visit and brought it home to our other two...took about a month to get it out of everyone's systems because they couldn't vaccinate for it until they were over it and they kept passing it around between the three of them. They can pick up bordetella (kennel cough) just about anywhere...the vet's office, the neighbor's dog, shows, parks, during their walks...not just from boarding or kenneling
PitbullGirl

Postby Leslie H » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:18 pm

TDI isn't a vaccine, it's a certification, Therapy Dog International.
Bordatella(sp) is kennel cough. The problem is that the kennel cough vaccines and intranasal dose only last about 6 months, and only work against some strains of kennel cough. Kennel cough can be a real pisser, particularly in very young pups, but in adult dogs it is usually equal to the common cold in humans.
The basic puppyshot includes distemper/parvo, and 3 other things, but not lepto/corona or bordatella. Rabies, the first vaccine is always one year, then boosters every 3. Sorry if I'm being more confusing.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:02 pm

Yes Elegy I do give them the puppy shot. Just don't do the 4 shot protocol. I also don't do the annual booster. My vet doesn't do Lepto, there hasn't been a case here in a thousand years(tiny exaggeration) so they dropped it from the cocktail.

I understand why vets recommend the boosters. Mine has gone to a 3 year protocol as well. And they are right, so many people wouldn't ever step foot in their office otherwise.
barbponys
Health Guru

Follow-up question to the puppy vaccine schedule:

Postby X-girl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:11 am

So, we brought Lola in to get spayed this A.M. We brought her to a "reputable" vet in town for the procedure as opposed to the clinic we have taken her to in the past. (I just felt more comfortable with these guys putting her under anesthesia.) When I handed over her health records, the vet would not count her 1st round of vaccs because they were given to her at 6 weeks of age. She told us we needed 1 more round to have her up-to-date, citing the immune system theory mentioned in an earlier part of this thread.

My question is: While I see the logic of the immune system defeating the vaccine, is it true that the 1st round for her was basically worthless? I don't know if I should feel like the new vet just wanted to make some money off of our visit because we are using a low-cost spay certificate for the surgery or if the old vet took our money for an unnecessary round of vaccs.

Either way, I am very frustrated. I'd appreciate some input from the knowledgable members of the board. I can do some outside research, too but I remember nothing about this during my initial research as a new "mom".
X-girl
Regulator

Postby X-girl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:10 pm

Bump. :oops:
I'm hoping to get some opinions on my post ^above^ before we pick Lola up this afternoon.
X-girl
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues