Neutering: Sooner or later? Pros and Cons?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby moto1320 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:36 am

:goodpost: Chilli, I agree, you don't see a major difference in actual height...no Pitbulls on stilts. This is the least of my concerns though, compared to the muscle and head shape. Pet peeve of mine but I hate seeing bullies with heads that don't look like they were meant for them. lol

Also, my boys slowed down on trying to hump but not completely. They still did it whenever it suited them. I chalked up the slowing down of the instances to learning that this was not allowed over the snip snip.

By the way, was this study done on bullies?
moto1320
Regulator

Postby turtle » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:02 am

I read some info about early spaying in female dogs that stated they are less likely to get bladder and urinary infections if they are spayed after the first heat. Something about spaying after the first heat allows the vagina to "drop" and reach full size? It was a study but damned if I can find the links to it, another causality of my computer meltdown.

With females, there is a risk of spay incontinence and I am not too sure if there is a connection between early spays and this. All my female dogs were spayed at about 6 to 8 months and they were fine. One did have a tendency to bladder infections and such so that's what made me look into the effects of spaying before and after the first heat.

Males that are neutered early do end up a bit taller and leaner, I read those studies, too. I don't think any of the studies were done on bullies though. That would be interesting. From what I am reading here, I wonder if early bully neuters also have narrower heads and less bulk in their build?

I can see why so many rescues and shelters spay/neuter at an early age, that is far easier than tracking down owners to make sure they have it done and it prevents any "accidental" litters due to human carelessness.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pocketpit » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:34 pm

I've never noticed a difference with urinary incontinence in early spay dogs vs. later spay dogs. But that's just my personal observances and may not be the norm. Brooks wasn't spayed until she was 6-7 yrs old and now at the age of 8 has the problem. There is a certain percentage of juvenile spays that develop urinary incontinence but I often wonder if they would have done so if spayed later in life. I question if there is genetic tendency to do so and perhaps the early spay just set if off sooner?
All of my fosters/rescues are done as juveniles but with my own personal dogs I wait until later in life. Either because they were showing or because I like the difference in looks. Our most recently aquired dog (almost a year and a half ago) was done between 4-6 months as I had intact male dogs and did NOT want to deal with a bitch in heat around. She has a pretty head (not counting her undershot bite) and a fairly wide chest considering what the rest of her looks like (not a conformation Ch that's for sure lol ). I often wonder how different she would look if I had been able to wait.
I've seen a big difference in a lot of dogs of the bully persuasion, but then again I've seen some neutered dogs that still were nice looking examples despite juvenile spays/neuters. But they are not as common.
pocketpit

Postby Xypher » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:39 pm

Hey, I know this is an old topic but im confused by everyones really different opinions but it sounds like it would be best to spay and neuter at about 1 to 1.5 years of age. I was also wondering if a female in heat (cause if someone plans on keeping them intact till 1 to 1.5 years of age she will be in heat at some point during this time right?) can be kept beside male but in a different crates. Or would it be better to keep her in another room till heat is over (and that takes about a month, right?).
Xypher

Postby moto1320 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:19 am

With females I wouldn't allow them to go into the first heat at all. Despite the varied opinions on this there is pretty much uniform agreement that if you wait until 6-8months there will be no side effects on any dog. The testosterone issue isn't applicable obviously and there are other issues like Pyometra to worry about in a female, false pregnancy, etc. While usually in older than 1 year old dogs I have seen it happen as young as a first heat cycle. if I had a female I wouldn't wait past the 6-8 month range. Heat cycles suck to deal with anyway... :yucky:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby dopeychristy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:09 am

I have a male pit who is 3 years old and intact. Much like the people who have said they are very careful with their dog and such, I was. I got sick and had to be hospitalized, while I was in the hospital my kids were watching my mother in laws female pit (she was supposed to have been fixed!) and we ended up with puppies. That's a whole other subject though.

My intact dog is built very well, very muscular with a big head and in proportion. Very pretty dog. What I am wondering at this point is if I have him neutered at this late date in his life, will it help with the dog aggression behavioral problems? It seems that neutering him at this point would do nothing because he is already 3. Yes, it would help with no more accidents but I have learned my lesson and he is not going to be around any more intact females! ((Sorry to hijack the thread...You can always PM me with answers if you'd rather not answer here))
dopeychristy

Postby SKoth » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:31 am

I gotta agree with Moto on this one. Check the OFA website, there are studies about the effects of early neutering and bone development.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby mindonmatter » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:22 pm

SKoth wrote:I gotta agree with Moto on this one. Check the OFA website, there are studies about the effects of early neutering and bone development.

I guess my question now is this........

What is considered early nuetering? 8 weeks? 6 months? <1 year?
mindonmatter

Postby Kara » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:48 pm

dopeychristy wrote:I have a male pit who is 3 years old and intact. Much like the people who have said they are very careful with their dog and such, I was. I got sick and had to be hospitalized, while I was in the hospital my kids were watching my mother in laws female pit (she was supposed to have been fixed!) and we ended up with puppies. That's a whole other subject though.

My intact dog is built very well, very muscular with a big head and in proportion. Very pretty dog. What I am wondering at this point is if I have him neutered at this late date in his life, will it help with the dog aggression behavioral problems? It seems that neutering him at this point would do nothing because he is already 3. Yes, it would help with no more accidents but I have learned my lesson and he is not going to be around any more intact females! ((Sorry to hijack the thread...You can always PM me with answers if you'd rather not answer here))

We had our male Pit, Taurus neutered at 4 years of age, and it actually made him much more aggressive. I do not know if this is just a fluke case (as many people have told me it is just a fluke), but he was always great with other dogs until we had him neutered, and since the neutered, he is quite aggressive around new, strange dogs. Could just be that he was alittle older to mature, ie "turn on", but at 4 yrs old, I would have assumed this would have allready happened. Anyways, this was just our findings.

Now I have a question....
In regards to the people who posted about the head being more narrow, where can I read about that? Does it always stay more narrow? Or just take longer to widen? The reason I am asking is because Jada (who was spayed at 7 months old) still has that lump on her head that most puppies have gotten rid of by this point. Do you know the bump Im talking about? She is 14 months old, and it is still there. Does that mean she will allways have it??

Kara
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby nessa » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:21 pm

Hoover, my lab mix was neutered at 4 years, and also got more terretorial and more aggressive. Granted, he started out at zero, so we aren't talking leaps and bounds. But it ws quite noticable.
I'm holding off on Kirby until at least 6 months, I want to nip dog aggression and pray drive in the bud, but also don't want to alter his growth. Whatta connundrum.
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dopeychristy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:32 pm

nessa-

:thumbsup: that is a gorgeous dog in your avatar!
dopeychristy

Previous

Return to Health Issues