Allergies/Vet Visit

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Allergies/Vet Visit

Postby JessaNGizmo » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:50 pm

Well taking Grunt in to the vet, This boy is breaking out with something, The soonest time I could get is Tuesday, Figures right! Atleast hes not screaming and digging at it. I think we will probably get an allergy test in the long run to make sure its not the food....Any tips?
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby Nick » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:26 pm

Call your vet and ask them if you can give Benadryl until you get in there. My dog weighs 60 lbs and he can have up to 50 mg twice a day if needed.
Nick

Postby JessaNGizmo » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:43 pm

He is on Bendryl...
Poor thing has been in the vet so many times....
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby Boscoe13 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:20 pm

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question but are you giving them benedryl for humans? If so do you break a pill and put it in their food? Boscoe has this rash that comes and goes just wondering if it would actually help...Thanks!
Boscoe13

Postby JessaNGizmo » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:24 pm

I give baloo just 25mg of benedryl, the littttttle pink ones. Yes its the human type! No question is a stupid question! :))
JessaNGizmo

Postby mnp13 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:41 pm

50 mg???? Connor (who weighs 55 pounds) was on 75 mg twice a day for a looong time, and the vet said he could have gotten double that safely.

I don't know how much your dog weighs, but if he doesn't get relief from one pill try two or three...

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Nick » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:32 pm

Yes, that's the dosage for my dogs regular seasonal allergies. You can give more, but it's always better to have the persons vet tell them that. Calling the vet before adding any additional meds is always smart.
Nick

Re: Allergies/Vet Visit

Postby moto1320 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:48 pm

JessaNGizmo wrote:Well taking Grunt in to the vet, This boy is breaking out with something, The soonest time I could get is Tuesday, Figures right! Atleast hes not screaming and digging at it. I think we will probably get an allergy test in the long run to make sure its not the food....Any tips?
Jessa

Has he had a change in diet recently? Anything to make you suspect that? If that is a high probability you could have him on a straight bland diet in the mean time. If he is itching like crazy put some Cortizone 10 on his rashes as well, it should help alot.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:13 pm

Nothing has changed in the last two weeks, It just came out of no where, At first the genesis oitment was helping and now I put it on and thats it, nothing. The bendryl doesnt help either....I dunno what it could be!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Ok I remembered that the weather has changed here in Az. In Washington State he was allways breaking out and its been raining and humid here, Maybe his skin cant handle the humidity?
Jessa

What is a blan diet, hamburger and rice?
JessaNGizmo

Postby moto1320 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:57 pm

yeah, I use boiled chicken and rice. Dogs can develop allergies to things that they had been tolerating all of the sudden. May be a good candidate for Barf.

And yes, the dryness helps so much. I have Eczema and have been told to move out there more than once. I had it really bad at a time last year, flew out to Vegas for business and was there for only 36 hours. By the time I flew home I had gone from looking like a freaking leper, to perfect skin after such a little time in the desert.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:14 pm

Yeah alot of people have moved to the hell hole dessert just for health reasons but its misrable!

So maybe it is the food? I just bought a NEW bag too! ARGH! LOL

So either chicken or hamburger and rice? Maybe I do this until tuesday and see if I see a difference...
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Return to Health Issues