barbponys, ever heard of . . .

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

barbponys, ever heard of . . .

Postby BabyReba » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:47 pm

hey barbp, have you ever heard of Verus dog food? it's made in abingdon, md and i've heard some good things about it.

Ingredients in Verus Lite:

Ground Brown Rice, Ground Grain Sorghum, Lamb Meal, Ground Oats, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid, and Rosemary Extract), Flaxseed, Chicory Pulp, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp, Natural Flavors, Salt, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, DL-Methionine, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Biotine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Reba,
Actually I have heard of Verus. I know we have some Lit. on it at work, here's what I found for adult chicken and oat. It doesn't look terrible but it's not great either.

Chicken Meal, Ground Oats, Ground Brown Rice, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid, and Rosemary Extract) Dried Beet Pulp, Alfalfa Meal, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavors, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Chicory Root Extract, Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Garlic, Ascorbic Acid, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcuim Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Iodate.

I don't like the use of the rice bran along with the rice. Dried beet pulp is not good either, absorbs too much water from the colon. Tomato Pomace, natural flavors, and salt.............why, why, and why. If you are already feeding Wellness, Canidae or one of the other favorites I wouldn't use this food. You are feeding better already.

I'm not a fan of lite food. It doesn't help with weight loss it makes the poor dog or cat fatter. Take out some grain and add some meat, their bodies would thank the company and they would actually lose the un-necessary weight.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby BabyReba » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:47 pm

barb, thank you so much! since it's a locally distributed food, it's being pushed like crack rock in some of my favorite pet stores, and i keep asking about it compared to canidae (what i feed now) and people keep telling me it's comparable. but i saw so many more meat sources in canidae's labels that i could not believe it!

thanks for blowing out the hype for me! :thumbsup:
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:18 am

You are welcome Reba. I'm glad to help in any way I can.

Two of the things I didn't mention is the grain to meat ratio is very high even in the adult. 4 to one. The poulty fat is also a negative. The price is good but it's too high for what you get.
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues