Relieving paw chewing due to allergies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Relieving paw chewing due to allergies

Postby concreterose » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:03 pm

It seems a lot of our bulldogs have seasonal allergies or food allergies. Foot chewing is the first sign and can make the dog very uncomfortable. This is what I have done to reduce foot irritation and make Vicki more comfortable during allergy season and when she was recovering from a food allergy. It did wonders!

If your dogs' feet are red and itching from playing outside (you should observe if they are chewing their feet more when they come in from walking or play), before you bring them in, hose paws off thoroughly (or rinse inside if you live in an apartment or don't have a hose) and keep them nice and dry. This is especially important if you take them out in the morning or on humid days when the grass is moist and dewy. I noticed Vicki's feet get a little worse in these conditions.

Once a day, lather the dog's feet up with antibacterial hand soap (make sure you are using a soap that doesn't have an off the chart amount of alcohol in it, like some dollar store brands) and dry thoroughly.

To preven infection, use an antifungal spray like Malaseb spray for dogs and horses. You can get it here. You may want to shop around and price compare...this site was cheaper for me than my vet.

Make sure you take you dog to the vet if the problems persist or get worse and you need to get an allergy test to determine the cause of the problem.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:07 am

geeze do i need that spray and that soap...

rod just started limping yesterday...when i checked out his paw it was all infected underneath between his pads all gooey..quite nastey..

apparently he did a number on his paw through the night.. its the worst cause there is really nothing i can do right now, besides cleaning in an putting ointment on it.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:16 am

Until you can get the malaseb, keep it clean and keep some triple antibiotic ointment smeared on it. You may want to wrap his feet up at night with some booties or socks.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby kczigg » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:06 pm

I tried the washing and nothing seemed to help and the more he chewed, the worse it got, so I got a spray called "yuck" and I spray i little bit near the sore spot(not directly on it) and he stops chewing.
kczigg

Postby gooeydog » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:35 am

You can also try spraying/wiping their feet/bellies down with vinegar after bringing them in, I don't know why (I think maybe makes the environment unfavorable for fungus/bacteria, but don't really have any proof), but it seems to help keep the itchyness away, and it won't burn any sores or hives they may have, plus you don't have to worry about it leaving a residue behind.

If they have open sores on their feet, I've had success with soaking the foot in epsom salt water a couple times a day, it seems to heal them up a bit faster.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby CinderDee » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:58 am

Hey Goo!

Is that a vinegar/water solution, or straight vinegar?

Kato's been off the chart with foot chewing in the last month.

Thanks!
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues