Cutting nails of dark coloured dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Amhailte

Cutting nails of dark coloured dog

Postby Amhailte » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:55 pm

Has anyone got any tips about cutting dark dog nails without cutting the quick?

I always just guess and hope, but it would be great if there was an actual method to use to ensure you don't hit the quick. lol

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Re: Cutting nails of dark coloured dog

Postby IamaDick » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Amhailte wrote:Has anyone got any tips about cutting dark dog nails without cutting the quick?

I always just guess and hope, but it would be great if there was an actual method to use to ensure you don't hit the quick. lol

If you look UNDER the nail, you should be able to see the quick. Atleast on Tommy's dark colored nails i can barely see the difference between his quick (very dark) and his nail (slightly transparent)

okiegirl
Newborn Bully

Postby okiegirl » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:53 pm

You can get clippers with a safety guard that is supposed to help you not cut too close. I've never tried them though.

alex&hobbs
Matured Bully

Postby alex&hobbs » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Hobbs has black nails also and I put him up on a table and turn his paw back like you would a horses hoof. You can see exactly where the nail and quick meet.

As long as your dog is still it's very easy to clip. I use a scissor type nail clipper, so I can see how much nail is showing on the opposite side, so I know how much to cut.

Hope this helps! :)

JackieK
Newborn Bully

Postby JackieK » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:51 pm

I clip a little bit every 2 weeks. A few nails have white in them, so it is easier to see where to clip. When I clip the darker ones, I look for the hollow looking inside. Then I know I am close and stop.

I tried the "safety guard" type. Did not help me at all.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:13 pm

site: http://www.bamboopet.com/media/assets/p ... iagram.jpg

and on a side note if you are truly weary of cutting and you dont want to pay a vet for it every other week then just spend 30% of your walking time on the concrete (i do it with d-o-g and it works like a charm!!!)

RescueRules

Postby RescueRules » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:22 pm

I swear by the dremel. I was always too nervous when cutting my dogs black nails and I'm sure they felt it too. Now with the dremel everyone's happy.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:53 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I have another question.
By what most people are saying, you should only be cutting any part of the nail that goes beyond the stuff in the middle of the nail.

Now the reason I called it stuff, is because I'm pretty sure it's not all quick. For example, I'll cut my dogs nails, and I go a tiny bit past the stuff or filling of the nail, and have never made them bleed.

So I guess my question is this: should I only be cutting so there is no nail growth past the filling, and if so, why do they still seem so long if I go by that measurement?

Also, a note on the clippers with the safety guard, as they were mentionned, they suck! It's harder to try and cut their nails with the stupid guard than it is without.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:04 pm

the more you cut the nails the lower the quick gets, but is has to be constant to get results.... the reason you are cutting into the quick and not getting a result of blood is because you havent passed the protective barrier around the vein but i bet the dog feels it tho he doesnt bleed....

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:07 pm

Gypsy has very short nails. I have been clipping hers once a week since she was a puppy, so her quicks are very very small/short.

I go by the guide that Aaron put up! Clip where the curve of the nail starts to hook.

I don't know about the 'stuff' in the nail, I've never encountered it.

Ket

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:33 pm

aaronchpmn wrote:the more you cut the nails the lower the quick gets, but is has to be constant to get results.... the reason you are cutting into the quick and not getting a result of blood is because you havent passed the protective barrier around the vein but i bet the dog feels it tho he doesnt bleed....

They really don't feel it, they're big babies they would let me know.
I'm more curious than anything. They walk on concrete most of the time, so usually they just need the dew claws clipped.

Amhailte

Postby Amhailte » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Iamadick wrote:If you look UNDER the nail, you should be able to see the quick.

alex&hobbs wrote:Hobbs has black nails also and I put him up on a table and turn his paw back like you would a horses hoof. You can see exactly where the nail and quick meet.

Really? How do you tell just by looking? Can one of you guys post a picture or a photo explaining how to tell?

I've tried walking him on concrete, but he must have really tough nails, I think. Plus, his dew claws still need clipping, and they're black too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:35 pm

If you have them standing, and lift their paws up, to where their pads are "up" then you should be able to see a very small difference in the pigmentation between the quick and that actual nail, you might do it in a well lit area to make it easier to spot, and you have to look very closely or you may not be able to tell. Do it like you are changing a horses shoe.

Amhailte

Postby Amhailte » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:43 pm

Cool thanks, I'll give it a go. :)

alex&hobbs
Matured Bully

Postby alex&hobbs » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:03 pm

Okay.....here's 2 pics of Hobbs foot. They're not the greatest pics because I'm the only one trying to take a pic & hold Hobbs at the same time.

I'm standing over him and picking his up his foot and holding back like horses hoof. I just cut his nails last week so there's not much to look at, but you can see a little of the black nail before the quick. Just make sure you leave a little space between nail and quick.

Sorry pic is still not as close as I'd like, but I'm still trying to figure out this digital camera. :)

Return to “Health Issues”