i just found mold in my canidae!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

i just found mold in my canidae!

Postby BabyReba » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:07 pm

I got to about the middle of my supply of Canidae (I buy a 40 lb bag for 2 dogs) and just got a scoop with mold in it! I'm so mad about this, and since I store my food in a big plastic resealable bin, I don't even have the bag UPC to send to them to let them know what batch it was in!!

:po:

Ugh! I'm glad I got some free samples of Wellness yesterday so I have something decent to feed them tonight till I can get more food tomorrow. What a waste though--that's probably 15 pounds of dog food that I can't feed.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:41 pm

:po: OMG......Did you just buy it about a week ago? Maybe mine is the same batch? Maybe Baloo is allergic to mold...Ugggg Yet ANOTHER Reason to do RAW feeding......
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby SuperNova » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:47 pm

Oh wow. That really sucks !
I heard somewhere that storing dog food in a resealable plastic bin (or anywhere outside of the original bag) that the food loses its quality faster. . :huh?:
SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby JessaNGizmo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:50 pm

Really?

I would think that if its inclosed in a safe, bug free it would be better. Especially round here, Cant leave anything out with out getting ants! I hate this house! Anyone else think this?
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby barbponys » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:01 pm

Jessa,
Return the food to where you got it, they better refund your money. They also need to know that you found this. If you got it with a week or two they probably have the same batch on their floor.

Storing in plastic food bins isn't good. The plastic will leach nutrients and the oils in the food will get in the plastic and cause problems, it will start to smell like rancid oil. The bin will also crack.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby X-girl » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:14 pm

barbponys wrote:Storing in plastic food bins isn't good. The plastic will leach nutrients and the oils in the food will get in the plastic and cause problems...

Are you serious?? Ugh! I am not happy about this at all, I have always kept Nala's food in an airtight plastic container and Lola's Canidae now, too. (BTW, my Canidae seems to be fine, we just bought a bag 2 weekends ago.)

Pat, how would something like this be for storage? From Planet Dog.com:
http://www.planetdog.com/for-home.asp?ID=652
X-girl
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:34 pm

I havent found anything in my Canidae yet, But I wonder if we all have the same batch....

Plastic containers arent good?!?! Who would have though, I paid 25.00 for it too! CRAP! So what should I do? I cant leave the bags out, the bugs here will get in it....
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby concreterose » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 pm

Shoot...I store about a fourth a bag at a time in a little plastic tupperware container...I had NO idea you weren't supposed to :crybaby:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:44 pm

I have noticed that the savings on buying the biggest bags is too small to care about. Even running through the 15 pounders quickly with two, I decided to stay with those and buy more frequently for freshness and get smaller bags instead of store it. Especially when I fed Innova, the difference in the food after a couple of weeks is drastic.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:24 pm

SOOOORRY Reba :oops: :oops: :oops:

That could work Meredeth. You would have to wash it often though. The oils will get in the fabric and it will begin to smell. I do massage and the sheets get lotion or oil on them, I have to bleach them to keep them from smelling.

What I know some customers do is use one of those doohickies that seal food airtight? God my memory is worthless........it works well cuz they seal in a 2 week supply per bag.

I get smaller bags of dry food and store them in a "vittle vault". The vault is air tight but the food doesn't touch the sides. No bugs and the puppers can't get in it. I have to buy a little more often but it stays fresher that way.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby BabyReba » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:43 pm

Storing in plastic food bins isn't good. The plastic will leach nutrients and the oils in the food will get in the plastic and cause problems, it will start to smell like rancid oil.

Dang, just when you think you've got the food stuff down, you go and learn you're not doing it right. I suppose I can go back to my old method, which was to use a medium-sized steel ash can with the full bag of food inside it. The plastic container just fit so much better in the pantry. Figures!

As for the mold in the food, the most troublesome thing is that I would hardly have noticed it except that I have been supplementing Reba's food with oils and glucosamine and all these other things lately . . . otherwise, I would have scooped and figured it was just some pulverized grain. but nope, I picked up the dish and it was most definitely moldy.

Gross. I hope nobody's Canidae eating pup gets sick. I WILL be sending them a note, even though I haven't retained my proof of purchase.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:53 pm

Well tomorrow we will find out whats going on with Baloo....Maybe it is the food!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby X-girl » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:02 pm

Pat, can you explain how the Vittle Vault works? I looked at the descriptions of it on a bunch of websites and none of them specified how the food doesn't touch the sides of the container. I also saw nothing special about the plastic the vault is made from so I am curious why it's better than "regular" plastic. The containers I use were not too expensive and seem to be made from that plastic that resists stains - used in basic human-food storage. :huh?: Damn. There is always something to be confused about, isn't there?
X-girl
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:37 pm

Meredeth,
The only thing that makes them different is they are air tight. I put the whole bag in there to keep it off the plastic. The thing with, "human grade" if you well, food containers is the food is rarely in them for more than a couple of days. Also, if the food is real greasy it can be discolor the container. If I hadn't picked up the vittle vault I would be using a galvanized trash can and putting the bags in there. I don't even dump horse feed in them, it stays in the bags due to the chance of it rusting.

Reba,
If the store is one you frequent then I would definitely take the food back, the manufacturer will replace the bag for the retailer. Even with out proof of purchase, if they know you, they should refund or replace. If you were a customer of mine and you brought moldy food in I would replace the bag in a heart beat.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby X-girl » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:21 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, Pat. I really like those bags on PlanetDog.com but I think I would have to see one in person before I decide how great they are for keeping the kibble fresh. The vittle vaults are much less expensive so I may go that route; the container I use currently is too small to fit the whole bag of food.

Just a helpful hint for anyone reading this that's interested in the galvanized trash bin idea: Ikea has the cutest metal trash bins that are painted off-white enamel or black enamel and they cost about $7.95. (I use them for trash and recycling bins myself.)
X-girl
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues