i just found mold in my canidae!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby K » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:15 am

NOW you tell me :roll: ..I have been using a plastic container with a screw on lid for my dog food too...so I have to put the bag in there too and its ok..right?
K

Postby mnp13 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:43 am

Ok, before everyone throws away their plastic containers....

The regular ones you get at the store for sweater storage or whatever are not good for food. Food grade plastic is a different formulation that is made to NOT leach and is more resistant to oils and odors.

And you should definately bring the food back. If you know the date you purchased it they should know what lot was on the floor then.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby K » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:55 am

I dont know what mine was 'made' for...we found it in the fish section of a huge store..almost by the horse section..its green and has a screw on lid that has a black seal and its shaped like a barrell...never has anything gone off or mouldy in it...but then again it only holds one 20kg bag and that only lasts 8 days here... :oops:
K

Postby X-girl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:55 am

mnp13 wrote:Ok, before everyone throws away their plastic containers....
The regular ones you get at the store for sweater storage or whatever are not good for food. Food grade plastic is a different formulation that is made to NOT leach and is more resistant to oils and odors.

This is what I thought. What I have is food-grade, specifically for pet food, in fact. I have used Nala's for 2 or 3 years now and it has never smelled poorly or stained.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby kbreese » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:37 pm

Michelle is absolutely right.

One of my hobbies is Salt water/reef aquariums and we have had many discussions on reefcentral.com about plastics for water storage and the FDA approved food grade plastic are perfectly fine as they are manufactured specifically to not leach any chemicals out.

I also have a "Vittles Vault" and there is NO NEED TO PUT THE BAG IN THEM. You can dump the food directly in them as they were specifically designed for. These Vittle vaults are great and they definitely seal airtight. After our last dog passed I had Nutro natural in the vittle vault container for about 2 years and when I opened it, it actually still looked and smelled fresh.

here is the description of the Vittles Vault:
"The first absolutely airtight storage container for dry pet foods. No more bulky, awkward bags exposing food to air, excessive moisture and pests. With a spin of the patented lid, the Vittles Vault locks in freshness and flavor. Great for natural foods that are nutrient rich and preservative free. Made of food grade high-impact resistant plastic. The container is square."
kbreese

Postby barbponys » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:45 pm

I guess I'm just paranoid. I have always stored it in the bag............
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:15 pm

I got mine at petsmart! And it wasnt cheap!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:29 pm

I store my dogs food in a plastic container too and I have never had a problem..
It doesn't stink and it doesn't stain.
i dont know what it was made out of, but it works for us.
AllAmericanPUP

Postby duckzilla » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:48 pm

I have to say :goodpost: to those folks who represented the "food grade" plastics.

Hooray for plastics. Just make sure you're using it for what it has been designed for. i.e. you put your weed in there.. NAH MAN!
duckzilla

Previous

Return to Health Issues