Conditioning

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Conditioning

Postby jmann4 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:54 am

Wondering if anyone has any solid sources for conditioning information.

Right now I'm hand walking my dogs 3 miles a day, spring pole, and play. I plan on raising the distance of the walking to 8 miles per day with 20 minutes of spring pole.

My main focus is cutting fat and increasing muscle tone. Something like Odnarbs Grant but not as defined. My girls are energetic but I can't seem to get them defined.

I'm thinking a diet change is in order but I want to be careful that I don't burn them out or ruin their systems messing with their feed. Any help would be great.
jmann4

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:47 pm

just walking them that much a day should condition them.
AllAmericanPUP

Postby rosiegirl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:39 pm

My main focus is cutting fat and increasing muscle tone. Something like Odnarbs Grant but not as defined. My girls are energetic but I can't seem to get them defined.

roflmao roflmao
sounds like some typical (human)female problems.

sorry jmann I can be of no help to you, but if you find out the answer let me know! :)
rosiegirl

Postby moto1320 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:48 pm

What food do you have them on now?

I'm assuming the 3 miles a day is split up. If so you would be better taking them out for a quick walk early and doing all three miles at once. It's all about a sustained heart rate. A mile or two and a dog is just getting started. You have a pretty good plan going, I would think about a mill next. It's hard to keep up a solid workout with two dogs and get anything done with your day. I hope to get one soon. Pre-Doc, this was Daisys day.

Wake me up bonking me in the head with favorite soccer ball (flat). Play tug o war for about 10 mins really hard, trading up toy quality and working on out command. Breakfast. Walk a mile. Daisy chews for a couple of hours and gets back in bed.

Afternoon (depending on temp, sometimes later in the day), out to the yard. Play tag, Daisy runs in flat out sprint/zoomies for about 10 mins or so. 20 mins of springpole. Walk 5 miles. More springpole if she feels like it.
Dinner.

Late night. Mile walk, let her play on the springpole again if she wants to. Usually just about 5 or 10 mins to get her ya-yas out and them she is ready to come inside and crash.

I saw huge results with this in about 2-3 weeks. Hard to see it on a seal dog, but in the sun she was really cut. Lots of muscle definition and very vascular. Her neck blew up big time though, her neck muscles were about even with her jaw line. She was on Innova at this time. I toyed with her diet alot as far as amounts go. Doc can eat like a horse and have no change in fat. Daisy was so sensative to this that if I fluctuated her food up 1/4 of a cup she would gain a little weight. All treats were accounted for in the diet.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:32 pm

I've seen a lot of improvement in Vicki's definition since I started riding her on the bike (2 miles at least 4 times a week, more depending on the weather). She's still very slim, not bulking up, but very muscular. I've seen a huge difference in her back leg (thigh muscles) after consistent flirtpole exercise, 15-20 minutes a day. We play fetch too for a few minutes everytime we go outside, so she's running flat out quite a bit.

I have no idea about conformation, what's correct and what's not, but just looking at her chest, it seems very small. What kind of exercise could I do to build it up?
concreterose
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:44 pm

moto1320 wrote:What food do you have them on now?

I'm assuming the 3 miles a day is split up. If so you would be better taking them out for a quick walk early and doing all three miles at once. It's all about a sustained heart rate. A mile or two and a dog is just getting started. You have a pretty good plan going, I would think about a mill next. It's hard to keep up a solid workout with two dogs and get anything done with your day. I hope to get one soon. Pre-Doc, this was Daisys day.

Actually the three miles is at one time. In the evening. Now that it's getting cooler I'm going to add 3 more miles for a 6 mile total. 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. Added with spring pole and some biking, and if I can find a place some swimming, I think that will go a long way to getting them cut down.
jmann4

Postby Leslie H » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:52 pm

Raw food, drag weight, and genetics.
Xanny gets a pound of raw a day, split into 2 meals, and a raw egg. Occasional goodies.
She drags a 22 lb sled almost a mile 1 or 2 x a week, up a 1/4 mile hill 1 x a week, and does heavier repetitive pulls 2 times a week. She goes for regular mile long walks a few times a week, and a bitework session every now and then.
Mostly, I thank her genetics. She tends to look good easily. I am trying to not bulk her up this year.
She's got a little less weight, a little more muscle now than this side shot this spring. A little less bulk than this rear shot last year.

Leslie H
Regulator

Postby SuperNova » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:19 pm

wow buff gal :wow
SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby Hipacker » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:43 am

Man that dog looks sweet :headbang: .I like her build alot and hope my sparkles get like that.Her dad looks just like her puppy and the mom was short and build up to and lets see when she gets bigger :))
Hipacker

Return to Health Issues