Follow up post on the puppy vaccination post:

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Follow up post on the puppy vaccination post:

Postby X-girl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:16 pm

(Sorry to post this twice, everyone. I posted it in the original thread on this topic but it's getting passed over and I am a little pressed for time. Please forgive me, if anyone can help I really appreciate it.)

So, we brought Lola in to get spayed this A.M. We brought her to a "reputable" vet in town for the procedure as opposed to the clinic we have taken her to in the past. (I just felt more comfortable with these guys putting her under anesthesia.) When I handed over her health records, the vet would not count her 1st round of vaccs because they were given to her at 6 weeks of age. She told us we needed 1 more round to have her up-to-date, citing the immune system theory mentioned in an earlier part of this thread.

My question is: While I see the logic of the immune system defeating the vaccine, is it true that the 1st round for her was basically worthless? I don't know if I should feel like the new vet just wanted to make some money off of our visit because we are using a low-cost spay certificate for the surgery or if the old vet took our money for an unnecessary round of vaccs.

Either way, I am very frustrated. I'd appreciate some input from the knowledgable members of the board. I can do some outside research, too but I remember nothing about this during my initial research as a new "mom".
X-girl
Regulator

Postby pocketpit » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:05 pm

Depends. Was Lola still with mom and nursing at that point? If so then it would lend some credence to their theory. If not, then no I don't think that they were useless.
pocketpit

Postby X-girl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:09 pm

Thank you for replying.
No she was already weaned by the lovely young man (read: jerk) who had her parents. That's why we had her at such an early age to begin with. We fed her Esbilac mixed with some wet food for the 1st week or so.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:43 pm

If she'd been weaned 2 weeks or more, the theory I'm familiar w/said those 1st shots were valid. It doesn't mean that anyones trying to take advantadge though, there are many theories, and they're still evolving.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby pocketpit » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:49 pm

I'm with Leslie. When dogs are still nursing on mom, there is some protection gained although it starts to taper off after a certain amount of time. That time period is somewhat debatable and depends on other factors such as what mom's titer level was etc. So those shots your pup got were very valuable. If it were a nursing litter it's very likely the vaccine and mom's protection would negate one another and the vaccine would've been useless. The vets I've worked for have always recommended another round when pups are vaccinated that young. Usually they are pups that have not had the best start in life and Pits are a breed that tend to be more prone to contracting Parvo anyhow.
pocketpit

Re: Follow up post on the puppy vaccination post:

Postby Blue Steel » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:12 am

*shameless bump*

X-girl wrote:... When I handed over her health records, the vet would not count her 1st round of vaccs because they were given to her at 6 weeks of age. ... My question is: While I see the logic of the immune system defeating the vaccine, is it true that the 1st round for her was basically worthless? I don't know if I should feel like the new vet just wanted to make some money off of our visit because we are using a low-cost spay certificate for the surgery or if the old vet took our money for an unnecessary round of vaccs.

No, that first round was not worthless. If I waited any longer than six weeks to give my pups their first (in a series of three) vaccinations I'd have some very sick and/or dead puppies on my hands (as well as conscience). Mom's antibodies work well for about five to six weeks. After the sixth week, protection from maternal antibodies start to wane. Sometimes the protection may last a little longer, sometimes, for whatever reason, it starts to wane before six weeks. There is a range of variability in which the duration of protectin offered. If I waited until the eight week to start the vaccinations, and a pup's maternal antibodies were beginning to wane at six weeks, that would allow a "window of opportunity" for Parvo to strike. By the seventh week, the antibodies may be too low to offer adequate protection, thus allowing that "window" of vulnerability to exist for a week and put the pup(s) in serious danger. Parvo is pandemic. It's not to be messed with or taken lightly. Even if your particular pup's maternal antibodies were still active and able to counteract the vaccine, your pup's sibling may not be so fortunate.... Again, jmho here, but vaccinating at six weeks, while it may not be necessary for all pups, is certainly necessary for some pups. Better to offer protection to all the pups (and have some overridden by maternal antibodies) than to not offer it to any and allow Parvo to strike those whose maternal antibodies faded early (and who would have been protected had they recieved the first vaccine at six weeks).

I personally vaccinate at six weeks, nine weeks, and twelve weeks with a high-titer vaccine put out by Pfizer. Anything less than a high titer vaccine is not adequate enough protection for where I live.

Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps a little.
Blue Steel

Postby X-girl » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:26 am

Deb, thank you for your informative reply.

We told the vet's office we did not feel we should pay for the vacc. they gave her on Tuesday because the vet didn't even take the time to ask us if she was weaned or not. They immediately took it off the bill. Of course, that doesn't solve the over-vaccinated issue but, part of me wonders if they even gave it to her. :roll:

Because of the situation that lead to us taking Lola at search an early age, we ended up saving her life. The BYB we got her from did not vaccinate the litter (even though we told him to) and they got Parvo. If I didn't stop arguing with him that it was too early for her to leave her mom and siblings she would have died, too. (Luckily, my mindset shifted from "Dude, you're an ass, she's too young, we'll come get her in 3 weeks." to "I want her out of this awful situation RIGHT NOW.")

Thanks again for your info!
X-girl
Regulator

Return to Health Issues