OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 am

PitbullAngel wrote:I often wonder what her ears were like, lol.

I bet they were absolutely perfect! (She looks like a beauty queen in your avatar!)

teddy
Bully Ambassador

Postby teddy » Tue May 06, 2008 12:42 am

pitbull angel is that your dog? that is a pretty pit

TIVA_DOG
Newborn Bully

Postby TIVA_DOG » Mon May 26, 2008 6:30 pm

mnp13 wrote:My thoughts...

Ear cropping, when done by a liscenced vet, is no more or less harmful or risky than any other surgery. Barring complications, the dogs don't seem to care that it's even done. If they did they would become head shy to an extent, as that is the result of a dog that is afraid due to injury or abuse.

Ear cropping has no medical benefits or risks (past the inherent risks of surgery). A dog with cropped ears is no more or less likely to have ear infections or other problems.

Ear cropping is not only done by 'fighters'. Infact, the ears were more commonly left natural to help prevent fang injury to the ear canal.

Ear cropping done at home is barbaric not to mention illegal. I own a dog with a home crop and her ears are pretty bad.

Ear cropping is a purely cosmetic procedure, done for looks and looks only. I'm ok with that. My dog came cropped. I wish she had her ears, but she doesn't. If I had been thinking when I had her spayed I would have had them re-cropped so that they look better.

Michelle

I adopted a 2 1/2 yr old male Pit from the local animal control service and he too has a home ear crop job done and who ever done it must have their head on sideways or something cuz it is so far from not right it's sad. Like you said tho, the dog don't care and neither do I, just sucks that he went thru it that way rather than the right way...none the less it adds to his goofyness and I think it adds a little character to him...lol

HpNoTiQ
Newborn Bully

Postby HpNoTiQ » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:47 pm

I personally think that it gives our APBT's or AST's a nice look, purely cosmetic. To me. ear cropping is like tattoos, they may hurt for a bit during and after, but it goes away. They are done because the people getting it thinks it will make them look nicer. I don't really know how to explain it better, but that's my mentality towards ear cropping. :tongue:

molucass
Forum Junky

Postby molucass » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:24 pm

We took Alize' to a vet in NC to have her ears done. I think he did an awesome job.. We had her brother too, and the people that were getting him wanted his ears done as well.
I think both of their ears look awesome.

Alize' Before:

After:

Polar Before:

After:

Both of them were beautiful me, regardless of whether they had their natural ears.

My opinion is, some dogs look better cropped, and some look better natural.. It's just the owners personal preference.. If done correctly, and by a liscensed vet, I have no problem with it.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:26 am

Personally, I would nevr do it to any of my dogs. People still till me oh you should crop his ears (and he's got dumbo ears hehe) and his tail... but i just think its unnesscary..

i had rott growing up with a docked tail, i thought it just made him clumsy as hell.. maybe not..but it seemed like it

i just prefer dogs the way they are..thats me

and definately people who try the home procedures should go to hell.. i saw an episode where they tried doing a tail docking at home..with a rubber band poor baby

ogionikone
Newborn Bully

Postby ogionikone » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 pm

i love cropped ears!

wont do it to my baby tho shes too old an di want her all natural pretty much.

Im gonna buy a male and hes definitely having his ears cropped.

docking tails is dumb, dogs use it for balance. (u can use that argument about their hearing but it makes them just look amazing, like a hellhound or something)

OMG guys but my friends younger brother had rubber bands on his dogs ears i wanted to sock him in the face.

they fell off and now he has these stupid scar lines all over his ears its TERRIBLE.

i seriously cant go back to his house because im horrified of what they look like now.

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:15 am

SKoth wrote:Anyone who knows me knows I would say:

NO CROPPING

NO DOCKING

100% agree

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:17 am

them just look amazing, like a hellhound or something

perfect

yankz12603
Newborn Bully

Postby yankz12603 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:35 am

how old can they be to get there ears cropped? I'd like to get Princess's done but shes about 7 months old. Is this to old??? Or does it not matter?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:45 am

16 weeks is typically the latest most reputable vets will do it. Past that, the cartiledge in the ear has hardened to the point where getting a good set is much harder AND the procedure is much harder on the dog. Your pup has great ears and she is too old.

lazyboy
Newborn Bully

Postby lazyboy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:22 pm

I think at early as 10 or 12 weeks or 2-½ months you can get your pit ears cropped. Although 7 months old or more could still have their ears done, I would not recommend it because it will be more painful because the cartilage were more developed plus the amount of anesthesia the vet have to put on him. For me, if its older than 4 months it's better to leave it the way it is, but if you want to have their ears done do it as early as 2-½ or 3 months at age.

yankz12603
Newborn Bully

Postby yankz12603 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 am

ok thanks

b.m.f.stewart
Newborn Bully

Postby b.m.f.stewart » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:43 pm

no cropping or docking its not up to any standard for the breed.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 pm

I don't like crops at all, on any breed. They look so unnatural.

Return to “Health Issues”