OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:17 pm

What did your vet say? He should have given you an aftercare sheet with instructions.
Hope your pup heals soon.

xDOUGHBOYx
Newborn Bully

Postby xDOUGHBOYx » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 pm

does anybody haveany pics of medium length crop thanks in advance :))

originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:10 pm

im loving my dogs ears. the vet did it the way i wanted it to be. we took the stitches out today...and most of it is healed but vet said to give it another week of neosporin and then we can tape it up so it would stand up perfectly. and as of right now it looks almost perfect.

Odin
Newborn Bully

Postby Odin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:34 am

Roxers wrote:Interesting news:

The AVMA recently revised its position statement on small animal cosmetic surgeries (tail docking and ear cropping). The past position was that veterinarians were encouraged to educate clients about potential risks of cosmetic surgeries. Now, the AVMA has taken a much stronger position. The revised AVMA policy states: "The AVMA opposes ear cropping and tail docking of dogs when done solely for cosmetic purposes. The AVMA encourages the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from breed standards."

Here is the link to the full article:
http://www.avma.org/press/releases/081126_earcrop_taildock.asp

Thanks for the information and link.

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

usually against it....

Postby LoveBullies » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:40 pm

but Friday, our little man goes in to get his ears done. I usually always stick with the natural look of things, but his ears are bigger than his body almost. I'll probably chicken out on Friday..... I'm so distorted with it.... Should I or shouldn't I... AHHH!!!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Are you showing him? If not, does it matter if he DIDN'T grow into his ears (which he probably will)? There are risks associated with any surgery, are the size of his ears enough of a big deal to you to justify those risks? Just questions you need to ask yourself to be sure. Good luck however you decide!

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:32 pm

No not showing him.... and I can live with him no matter what, my husband wants them done, and I agreee, which is the first time I've ever agreeded with cropping... Like I said though I'm going to probably checkin out on Friday.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:34 am

Are you getting him neutered while he is under? Cuts down on the amount of times your pup is under general anesthesia if you can get them both done at once. Good luck.

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 am

The only reason he is not getting neutered, is because I personally feel it it too soon, for him to be neutuered. and I think it would be too much on him. I just went through surgery with Abbey, and that was a nightmare, so I rather take it one step at a time. I called today to verify he was ok to do them, I keep talking myself out of it, and then back into. I guess I will just have to see when I get in there tomorrow morning. *shrugs*

kwinnypoo
Newborn Bully

Postby kwinnypoo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:41 pm

I'm pro crop-- in a way. IF you want your dog cropped/docked, so be it. I don't go around petitioning or encouraging, but will support if necessary.

Personally? I like the cropped look, to me, it's a much cleaner, crisper look, and it's more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Now-- before you scream hypocrit because my three dogs are NOT cropped-- the ONLY reason they are not cropped is because NO vets in BOTH towns I lived in at the age range they needed to be cropped would do crops, and trust me, I WILL NOT do a home crop, nor will I spend thousands of dollars just to travel for a crop. (I currently live in a secluded island town in Alaska with only 1 vet in town, and the other city I lived in only had 2 vets in town, and was also another island town in Alaska, so traveling off the islands is expensive)

The breeder I have picked out for any and all future puppies offers crops before they are sent home by HIS vet, so that's definately the route I will take in the future.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Bumping up because someone was asking about cropping opinions :)

KylieSmylie
Newborn Bully

no way

Postby KylieSmylie » Sun May 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Personaly, I would not have a baby and give it a face lift.. same as I would not get a dog and crop its ears... its painfull and unnecessary. :frown:

KylieSmylie
Newborn Bully

Re: no way

Postby KylieSmylie » Mon May 04, 2009 11:52 am

Personaly, I would not have a baby and give it a face lift.. same as I would not get a dog and crop its ears and dock its tail... its painfull and unnecessary. :frown:

molucass
Forum Junky

Postby molucass » Tue May 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Having 4 (3 personal dogs, and 1 was Alize's brother who went to his new home and the new owner wanted the ears done) dogs go through the ear cropping surgery, I don't have a problem with it.. None of them were in severe pain after the surgery, or had any problems with their ears. One of them wanted to itch their ears as they were healing, but the other 3 acted as if they never knew anything happened.
Alize was worse off after her spay surgery than she was after the ear crop..

I personally love the look of a good crop.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Thu May 07, 2009 1:09 pm

I love the look as well but decided to keep Maili's ears natural. Her sister just got her ears done yesterday and she looks really nice...but she died on the table and the vet resuscitated her. I dunno if my next dog (many many years from now) will be cropped, but I think rose ears are so much fun to play with hehe.

Return to “Health Issues”