OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
picara
Bully Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby picara » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:07 am

I'm just glad the new banner dogs are natural. It's my first visit since the new look!

meltedspork
Newborn Bully

Postby meltedspork » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Hmmmm maybe not the best idea for my first post... but oh well ;)

I absolutely cannot grasp why anyone would want to mutilate their dog on purpose. I mean... would we be OK with doing that to human babies? "Oh, my son's ears are too big, I'll just chop part of them off"... Would that fly? I don't think so!

Here is where I show now naive I am: I've always liked dogs but never knew much about different breeds until recently, when I started looking to adopt a dog. I always thought of pits as ugly/scary looking dogs because I always pictured the dogs that had been cropped/docked. I never knew that PEOPLE made them this way! Once I saw what a true pit looked like, with those big floppy ears and tail, I had a whole different view of the breed. I honestly never knew that people could/would chop off part of their dog's ears or tail... I mean, to me, that's just crazy!

I love the floppy ears on my dogs. Not only does it make them adorable, but I love to pet their ears... they are so soft! And as for their tails... Both of my dogs are black with white markings and they both have white tips on their tails. I love their markings, especially on Max, and I think it's neat that they both have white tail tips. I also LOVE the sound of their tails thumping against the floor, wall, or furniture when they get super excited... it lets me know how happy they are! Sure, they accidentally wack me with their tails sometimes... but so what? They also accidentally have nipped my hand when playing with toys... does that mean I should have their teeth taken out?

I don't know... I just don't understand why people would crop/dock their dog(s)...

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:33 am

I can't say that I prefer natural ears. I personally like the cropped look. Floppy ears are cute, but I like the cropped ears better.

Now for all of the nay-sayers and haters, I took my dog to the vet, had him put under for the surgery. Not only did my vet give him a post surgical pain shot, but a post surgical anti-biotic. I also took home sedatives, pain killers and anti-biotics for Rex.

I DO NOT CONDONE HOME CROPS..PERIOD I don't know about elsewhere but in Arizona we have a lot of pit bull shows and stuff and I go to them. I see people all the time with botched ears because their breeder did it for 75 bucks. I hate that crap. It looks bad and is illegal.

But before anyone jumps in and says stuff, have you ever had your son circumcised (if you have kids)? He had no say in it.

Have you ever had plastic surgery...granted it probably was elected, you mutilated your body. I don't feel bad for getting his ears done the right way.

murray_215
Newborn Bully

Postby murray_215 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:40 am

If God intended them to have short ears and tails, they would be born that way.

murray_215
Newborn Bully

Re: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Postby murray_215 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:08 pm

carlinneworleans wrote:I wonder if i could pose a small question. How many people on this board that are against ear cropping have tattoos, peircings etc. Even though you are not chopping anything off you are altering, or some say mutilating your body for purely cosmetic reasons. Some may not like it but it looks good to you right. So i say as long as you aren't doing it for some mundane reason or trying to do it yourself. crop away. it has been going on for ever. Take your puppy to a reputable vet and take care of them when they get home or those ears could become infected just like that belly ring, ear ring, tatto, tongue ring etc.

The only argument against that is you do that you yourself. I'm sure given the choice the dog would not choose to lose its tail, and ears.

high_d_bear
Adolescent Bully

Re: Re:

Postby high_d_bear » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:11 pm

bethh wrote:
Alyssa wrote:I ain't cutting off NO pieces of my dog for purely COSMETIC reasons. No way.

I find it just pointless and serves no purpose but our own egos and I will not be that sort of primate.

x2

x 3. i love Rocker's floppy ears there his, and i have no right in cutting them off. No way in hell would i chop off his tail either he has a very cute white spot on the end of it like a dip stick that i just adore.

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 pm

i am on the fence about cropping ears, i have 2 cropped and 4 natural eared pit bulls. i love them all. the 2 that were cropped did not act any different as pups than the uncropped ones, they were all holy terrors! the youngest dog i have that is cropped is 5 yrs, so i have not had any cropped in that long. would i ever do it again? probably not. not because i think it "hurts" them, or makes them look too mean, but because i think it is a waste of money (vets here charge close to $500) i have to comment on the "God" comment. God created the "original" dog, MAN created the various breeds of dogs. from the smushed faced, underbite of the english bulldog, to the tiny chihuahua, to the speedy greyhound, HUMANS selectively bred all dogs to "shape" them to their needs and likes. it could be argued that we could selectively breed pit bulls to have erect ears, like those of a bull terrier, that would at least be close to the cropped look (though not as poity or small) sorry to ramble on......

Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:56 pm

How many of you actually put your "puppy-wuppy, son/daughter" to work by work i mean as catch dogs hog dogs you know actual work instead of doing what YOU want it to do because the fact of the matter is they were bred to work and with some of the work they were bred to do, i.e. hog hunt, it is just good common sense to crop the ears so as the hog can't get it by the ears with tusks or teeth, cause that would be a lot more painful than the procedure (lot more blood too from what i hear). but then we shouldn't use our DOGS (because that's what they are dogs, friends yes, but sons or daughters... na... they dogs... companions) in any Real way just shows and artificial "sports". just throwing words at the moon.

love-a-bull
Newborn Bully

Postby love-a-bull » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 pm

We dont dig the crop here at all, and though I admit it would be nice not to have "happy tail" blood all over my hallways, I still prefer a natural tail as well. For all the sad awful mutilations Ive seen to pitties I cant imagine altering for vanity no matter how "attractive" some people think it looks.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:33 am

How many of you actually put your "puppy-wuppy, son/daughter" to work by work i mean as catch dogs hog dogs you know actual work instead of doing what YOU want it to do because the fact of the matter is they were bred to work and with some of the work they were bred to do, i.e. hog hunt

Not sure why you singled out Catch dogs/hog hunting as the be all/end all of 'work', it's really still a sport, albeit a very dangerous one, though the dogs are 'working' . I don't hog hunt, so I certainly don't need my dog to catch one, so since my dog is in really NO danger of a boar ripping his ear off, there would be no need for surgery.

Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:05 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:
How many of you actually put your "puppy-wuppy, son/daughter" to work by work i mean as catch dogs hog dogs you know actual work instead of doing what YOU want it to do because the fact of the matter is they were bred to work and with some of the work they were bred to do, i.e. hog hunt

Not sure why you singled out Catch dogs/hog hunting as the be all/end all of 'work', it's really still a sport, albeit a very dangerous one, though the dogs are 'working' . I don't hog hunt, so I certainly don't need my dog to catch one, so since my dog is in really NO danger of a boar ripping his ear off, there would be no need for surgery.

Just stating that there are reasons other than looks to crop that's all.

Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:06 pm

If you don't then you don't, if I do then I do, it's not that big a deal.

SweetTea
Matured Bully

Postby SweetTea » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:01 am

I think it looks regal on Dobermans and Great Danes. I think it looks absolutely atrocious and "thuggish" on Bullies and IMO they look much more awesome and adorable with floppy ears. Cropping just doesn't go with short and stocky dogs IMO.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Hmm I better tell Betty and Kitty they look atrocious and thuggish.

SweetTea
Matured Bully

Postby SweetTea » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:04 pm

To each their own. Nothing personal, these are my views on aesthetics as you have your own, no need to get ugly, we're all here because of a common bond :) I would have adopted a cropped or natural pittie..just so happens a natural one fell into my lap.

Return to “Health Issues”