OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby pumpkinpunk » Sun May 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:Dogs use their ears quite a bit in communication and that IS a fact. Dogs with cropped ears still use their ears the same way, though they may require more attention to 'detail' to pick up on it. (battle crops where there is virtually no ear ARE hard to read) In actuallity, this CAN lead to problems for some cropped dogs in communication both with their own species and with those of our species who don't know them well. It's not like they CAN'T communicate with their ears at all, but like they have a speech impediment. Often other communication signals will become more pronounced.

+1 My trainer mentioned this. Dogs do read and communicate to other dog's body languages quite well if they have been socialized to it or not. I think this goes to how they communicate to others as well, but it takes some picking up on. I'm 100% positive a cropped dog can be just as expressive in their own way with their ears towards people, but it is different when there is another (strange) dog in the question.

I am against cropping, mainly because I hate that the animal has no say in the pain they endure from having a very nerve sensitive area of there body cut off and stitched up, dogs do not show pain the way we do and a recovery from something that was done for vanity of an animal just makes me sick. If vanity were a part of dogs I do not think the phrases "face like a dog" or "dog ugly" or "dog face" or "bitch" as a derogatory term would exist. And I'm sure it is traumatizing at the time. But I am also an animal activist and think unless there is ever a way to get there consent we have no right to cut off pieces of there body that are unnecessary IMO. I don't want to be flamed for that, so let me clarify, I think it is necessary to s/n your dog.

pitbulls.tid
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbulls.tid » Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 pm

cropping is all for looks, no advantage for the dog. docking is just ridiculous, there's no need for it what-so-ever. its all for looks, never for the dog! although its not a long period of pain, its still pain the dog has to endure.

leave'em natural, natural, natural!

SquirrelDog6
Newborn Bully

Postby SquirrelDog6 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:09 pm

If it's done under the gas, I think it's ok. My Whippet had her dew claws off without the gas and she's ok too. When they are young, they forget about it. It's like circumcision, or ear piercing. The tissue is very soft and undeveloped. If it's done on an older dog without knocking him out, it's abuse.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun May 16, 2010 7:34 pm

I learned at the seminar this weekend that there is simply NO scientific proof, ie NO data, that dogs communicate less effectively with cropped ears or docked tails. BUT can we assume that it does have SOME affect as the majority of dog communication is done with subtle movements and dogs may experience feelings of ambiguity without the use of natural ears or tails? I would say yes, that is a safe assumption. Miscommunication is the number one reason that play turns into fights.

Regardless of that, I still prefer natural ears and tails. I just don't get the point of surgical modification that is done solely for cosmetic purposes.

RCastro84
Newborn Bully

Postby RCastro84 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:59 am

I am a first time pitbull owner and i do like the way that this breed looks with their ears cropped. Im not a fan of the healing process and do feel for the dog but i am against the tails being cropped. I have heard from a few people and other websites that tails being cropped will effect the dogs balance. so My pup will not have her tail docked. My dog was born Jan 28 2010, she has a appointment today to get her rabiees shot, do you think its to late to have her ears cropped?

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 am

Going on 16 weeks (if I counted right), that may not be too late. While I prefer natural ears, cropped ears are acceptable -- but I've never seen docked tails listed in any standard for our breed. Unless I missed it. . .

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 pm

RCastro84 wrote:I am a first time pitbull owner and i do like the way that this breed looks with their ears cropped. Im not a fan of the healing process and do feel for the dog but i am against the tails being cropped. I have heard from a few people and other websites that tails being cropped will effect the dogs balance. so My pup will not have her tail docked. My dog was born Jan 28 2010, she has a appointment today to get her rabiees shot, do you think its to late to have her ears cropped?

I also heard from a few people if you feed gun powder to your dog it will counter the balance of the docked tail but you have to be careful as it can make the dog baby hungry!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm

RCastro84 wrote:I am a first time pitbull owner and i do like the way that this breed looks with their ears cropped. Im not a fan of the healing process and do feel for the dog but i am against the tails being cropped. I have heard from a few people and other websites that tails being cropped will effect the dogs balance. so My pup will not have her tail docked. My dog was born Jan 28 2010, she has a appointment today to get her rabiees shot, do you think its to late to have her ears cropped?

Hmmm...I typed out a big long reply to this but it didn't post apparently. Well, the gist of it was that tail docking has no effect on a dogs balance but your pup is far too old to have his tail done anyways...they are typically done at three DAYS of age.

And personally, I wouldn't do the ears either but that is my opinion. Why put your pup under anesthetic one extra time just for cosmetic purposes? Seems frivolent and self-indulging to me.

RCastro84
Newborn Bully

Postby RCastro84 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:45 pm

i never really took into consideration that they put her under, well yea i decided against it, but thanks for all your input and that gun powder thing....i thought you were joking bro.....i hope you were....that just sounds crazy....

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat May 22, 2010 6:25 pm

He was joking, it's all good

reaper18769
Newborn Bully

Postby reaper18769 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:41 am

I have nothing against it, I just wouldn't do it to MY pups just cause I love the way they put them and how they flop around and me myself use them to understand your dogs thoughs and emotions, like when you say "wanna go for a walk" and they go straight up in the air! Lol

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm

reaper18769 wrote:I have nothing against it, I just wouldn't do it to MY pups just cause I love the way they put them and how they flop around and me myself use them to understand your dogs thoughs and emotions, like when you say "wanna go for a walk" and they go straight up in the air! Lol

and they look really cute in your avatar pic with their floppy ears :inlove:

pitXgsd
Newborn Bully

Postby pitXgsd » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 am

leave them natural. yeah they do look all cool and stuff because it gives the dog an alert look type of thing. but thats about it, but everyone has their own preferneces. i left my dogs natural but it total different story for me because my dogs ears will go up by its self due it being crossed with a gsd.

if you do care a lot about the looks i guess you would be going for the cropped ears but in my suggestion leave them natural as you can use that money later on for the dogs bills as they do tend to get bigger and bigger.

Zappy
Newborn Bully

Postby Zappy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:17 am

Personally I prefer uncropped ears and un-docked tails. I love a pit bull with floppy ears, and I love to see a tail wagging. I also don't really believe in altering an animal unless it benefits them. Spaying and neutering is beneficial for the animal, ear cropping and tail docking really isn't. For the same reason I don't like it when people declaw cats. Just my opinion.

blackeyedblonde
Newborn Bully

Postby blackeyedblonde » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:41 am

Moose loves having his ears stroked... If I cropped them, he would be SO deprived! Hehe.

Return to “Health Issues”