OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm

So you're actually against weight pull, too? Huh. Interesting.

(Oh, and you don't BELONG here. But THIS is the appropriate thread to debate ear cropping. Not a thread where someone is asking opinions on which style crop. No need to take offense to everything someone says to you escpecially with some of the comments you make yourself).

Oje
Adolescent Bully

Postby Oje » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Yup, not for pulling at all.

I think its pretty hypocritical someone would make negative comments to me taking him to a park then strap a harness to their dog and make it drag weights around. I guess theres no chance of injury in that huh? Im sure they'll say their dog enjoys it the same way mine enjoys the park but its not nearly the same. I didnt have to train my dog to like the park, i simply took him and he liked it. Only reason a dog is going to pull the weight around is most likely because the owner is standing a distance away calling the dog and since they put a harness around it, it has no other choice but to pull the weight to get to them.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Eh, to each it's own! :thumbsup:

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Your dog likes the taste of anti-freeze. Doesn't mean it's good for the dog though. Dog Parks = usually not a good idea.

I think weight pull is good exercise as long as the dog isn't injured.

Oh, and I like natural ears too.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Dracula lives.

Since this has changed to a discussion of pits in dog parks...

I was just at the park where there is a gorgeous well equipped 5 acre dog run. Lots of space for lots of dogs. Well. wouldn't you know it, Pit Bulls are well loved by us hippy tree huggers around these parts and 2 were in the dog park. (I always shudder when I see this.) Anyhoo I was working my dogs on leash one at a time in an open field outside the park and whammo! I hear screaming and cursing and hootin and a hollerin so I kinda wander over to get a look and see if I can help and I see the couple with their pits storming out of the park with some people screaming at them and others trying to grab their dogs. The pit owners put their dogs in their subaru wagon and go to the dog park fence to exchange words with some woman holding a small terrier. She is obviously upset as are others in the park that pit bulls were in there in the first place. The Pit owners are furious that they are being accused of having dangerous dogs. In all honesty the pits were totally unphased and just strolling completely relaxed without a care in the world along with their owners after the incident so I am pretty sure they were not even involved in the skirmish. They point out that the little terrier is the instigator and should not be permitted in the park. The woman with the terrier turns around and gives them the FU wave off and releases her dog who proceeds to start a fight as soon as his skinny little legs hit dirt with a group of 4 much larger dogs. They are fighting, full on fighting, and piling onto each other and moving farther away from the owners. It was bad. More mayhem and screaming and the woman with the terrier left very quickly.

It doesn't only matter what your dogs will do in a dog park, it matters what other people's dogs will do just as much. If those pits had not been in the park in the first place, people would not have anything else bad to think about them. They would not have had the bad experience or been in danger or put other dogs in danger.

Avoidance as a coping mechanism is a wonderful thing when there are real consequences.

As for the weight pulling many dogs love to pull freight and it does not harm them if the owner is not a complete and utter moron.

Cosmetic ear cropping is freakin barbaric and people who have their dog's ears mutilated for looks deserve to be ridiculed or slapped silly. :look:

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Oje wrote:Yup, not for pulling at all.

I think its pretty hypocritical someone would make negative comments to me taking him to a park then strap a harness to their dog and make it drag weights around. I guess theres no chance of injury in that huh? Im sure they'll say their dog enjoys it the same way mine enjoys the park but its not nearly the same. I didnt have to train my dog to like the park, i simply took him and he liked it. Only reason a dog is going to pull the weight around is most likely because the owner is standing a distance away calling the dog and since they put a harness around it, it has no other choice but to pull the weight to get to them.

well off subject, I actually find your remarks absurd about weight pull. Ummm...most orgs. you are right there beside the dog, driving from the side or front, only the IWPA dictates you have to away from the dog, and that Org. was created for sled dogs, but the bull breeds tend to dominate it. In fact well, bull breeds in general dominate the sport, due to their desire to work for their owners. And their tenacious, "not give up attitude". I would highly suggest, you go to a competition and watch pro dogs work. they love it, enjoy, and are good at it. it's much more of a positive image then seeing a bull breed at a dog park.

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 am

I don't see why people hate crops/tails being docked so much..

I personally like docked tails, I like seeing docked tails on Rottweilers/Dobermans and when I own a Rottweiler one day, I will be looking for a breeder who breeds natural bob tailed Rottweilers since I think tail docking is illegal here. I don't mind seeing a docked tail on most breeds, I just love the look personally. I would never just dock my dogs tail though, including a Rottweilers, if I were to find a pup on the street with a tail, it would be keeping that tail.

I love cropped ears to, Iike the look, no idea why. I love seeing cropped ears but I also love seeing natural ears as well. If I didn't live in Australia were ear cropping was Illegal, I probably would crop my dogs ear (if he/she was a bully breed). I wouldn't do it with all the bully breeds i'll own through my life but sometime's I would.

I don't see the big deal if some one wants to crop/dock tails as long as it's done humanely.

Each to there own though.

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Ive concluded in my own mind that me personally respect people who get GOOD cropped jobs on their dogs. That means it fits the dogs face and it is done by a professional at the appropriate age and etc. Everyone is entitled to do as they please with there dog, as long as it is appropriate(and legal), the cropping of ears is not very innapropriate to me, they go through more pain when fixed.

BUT there is no health benefit from it, so i do somewhat think it is unnecessary so that is why my opinion is to NOT crop my pitties ears, I just think there too cute to cut off ^_^. He looks just as manly with them not cut off to me.

I cant help but think once when a baby is born with too pointy of ears, MANYparents have their babies go through a surgery as young babies to get their ears pulled back to look normal. Yes completely different but i believe there is a similarity because although there is no health benefit, your making them look better.

Docking of tails on a pitbull, totally against because i think it looks rediculous.
But on a rottie or a doberman, very appropriate to fit the breed in my opinion.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby nsbullylover » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Ive concluded in my own mind that me personally respect people who get GOOD cropped jobs on their dogs. That means it fits the dogs face and it is done by a professional at the appropriate age and etc. Everyone is entitled to do as they please with there dog, as long as it is appropriate(and legal), the cropping of ears is not very innapropriate to me, they go through more pain when fixed.

BUT there is no health benefit from it, so i do somewhat think it is unnecessary so that is why my opinion is to NOT crop my pitties ears, I just think there too cute to cut off ^_^. He looks just as manly with them not cut off to me.

I cant help but think once when a baby is born with too pointy of ears, MANYparents have their babies go through a surgery as young babies to get their ears pulled back to look normal. Yes completely different but i believe there is a similarity because although there is no health benefit, your making them look better.

Docking of tails on a pitbull, totally against because i think it looks rediculous.

I agree with a lot of this. I would never personally get a dog's ears cropped, but if someone wishes to do so and has it done legally and humanely, that's ok. Some dogs look stunning with cropped ears.

I admit I think stubby tails are cute, but if I were to purchase a docked tail breed and could choose whether it's tail was to be docked or left natural, I'd leave it natural. I've seen a couple dogs that were breeds that are normally docked that had tails and they looked gorgeous.

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby snikles » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:56 pm

I agree with Oje about ear cropping. I think pit bulls with their ears cropped do not make the best ambassadors for the breed. It makes them appear more aggressive and it is often associated with dog fighting or guarding which is not the impression that most people want for this breed. On personal note I think it looks pretty silly especially for pit bulls.

As for weight pulling, I think it is a fun exercise and most dogs that I have been around genuinely enjoy it. It is no more cruel than it is to make your kids go out and exercise instead of sitting at home and playing video games. I also think that Oje said in another thread he was going to teach his dog to pull him on a skateboard and I am not sure how that is different from weight pulling? :dunno:

Shaggy0625
Newborn Bully

Postby Shaggy0625 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:37 pm

nsbullylover wrote:
Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Ive concluded in my own mind that me personally respect people who get GOOD cropped jobs on their dogs. That means it fits the dogs face and it is done by a professional at the appropriate age and etc. Everyone is entitled to do as they please with there dog, as long as it is appropriate(and legal), the cropping of ears is not very innapropriate to me, they go through more pain when fixed.

I agree with a lot of this. I would never personally get a dog's ears cropped, but if someone wishes to do so and has it done legally and humanely, that's ok. Some dogs look stunning with cropped ears.

I admit I think stubby tails are cute, but if I were to purchase a docked tail breed and could choose whether it's tail was to be docked or left natural, I'd leave it natural. I've seen a couple dogs that were breeds that are normally docked that had tails and they looked gorgeous.

I agree with both of these. I have also noticed a new trend of people altering their ears to look like elf ears!!! :headbang:

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:37 am

I agree with both of these. I have also noticed a new trend of people altering their ears to look like elf ears!!! :headbang:[/quote]

There is a thread in the General section and someone is asking about other peoples opinion on what specific crop job and there is a picture showing the the top four crop jobs. & the one your talking about is a long crop. I think they look silly, but hey everyone is entitled to their own opinon. I personally like the show crop, its in between the short crop and the long crop.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:46 am

Oje wrote: strap a harness to their dog and make it drag weights around. I guess there's no chance of injury in that huh?

People who properly train for this sport do not "make" their dogs pull. The dog has to want to pull and enjoy it. And an unsound dog should not be pulling, and a dog under 2 years should not be pulling so that they're fully developed.

If ear cropping is done properly by a veterinarian under anesthesia it does not bother me, some registrations desire cropped ears for conformation. However the ADBA does not, I like the ADBA. :x

Edit: There is a pit bull ambassador with cropped ears right now, one of Michael Vick's dogs. I don't see how cropped ears make a dog look aggressive, it may make them look intense but not aggressive.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 am

I'm against cropping but like others have stated I'm less bothered by it if it is done under anesthesia and in the hands of a skilled vet. Still don't "approve" of it but at least the dog isn't suffering in the hands of a hack.

I had someone ask if I was going to crop Sadie's ears when she was a pup. I couldn't even imagine not having those soft velvety ears to nom on while we're snuggling on the couch. I think those floppy ears are one of the best physical features of bully breeds.

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby snikles » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:32 am

Nichole wrote:I had someone ask if I was going to crop Sadie's ears when she was a pup. I couldn't even imagine not having those soft velvety ears to nom on while we're snuggling on the couch. I think those floppy ears are one of the best physical features of bully breeds.

I agree 100%. They are my favorite aesthetic feature of the breeds.

Return to “Health Issues”