OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:25 am

I guess I don't see her point in docking, cropping, and removing dewclaws just because she has other dogs. Sounds like she has a prefrance & is just covering it up by using that as an excuse. There are many multiple dog homes who don't have any *cosmetic* surgeries done without having any problems... IMO If you have control of your dogs, the situations, etc then I don't see why she did it.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Luna_Redmoon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 am

she did it to help bring down any harm to it. all but one doberman pup came to her with their ears/tails/dews done.
and from experience with her dogs playing with my dogs, sometimes accidents happen and typically on the ears. which is a very delicate place and hard to heal. we manage the dogs well but sometimes an accident happens. my female adult dogs do the "mommy grunt" and they back up, but poor riley doesnt know how and gets picked on.
Luna_Redmoon
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:07 pm

trexgorawrrrrr wrote:I guess I don't see her point in docking, cropping, and removing dewclaws just because she has other dogs. Sounds like she has a prefrance & is just covering it up by using that as an excuse. There are many multiple dog homes who don't have any *cosmetic* surgeries done without having any problems... IMO If you have control of your dogs, the situations, etc then I don't see why she did it.

:goodpost:
Both of my dogs have natural ears. They wrestle all the time and we haven't had a single casualty. I agree, either your friend was misinformed or looking for an excuse. If you are going to dock/crop, than stand by your decision.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby bea4mr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:34 pm

I didn't see a post about it but how long does cropped ears take to heal?

Is 16 weeks too old to have it done?

Is it a lot of work taking care of them?

Do infections come easy?

Please, answers nd thoughts!
bea4mr
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby bea4mr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:18 am

Odnarb wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Past a few days old, I think docking should be done under anestetic - however I know of a number of vets who do it up to a month old with out. I was honestly unaware that it was not 'standard procedure' to do it this way.

5 days should be the limit, anything after should be anesthetized. 5 days is even pushing it, 3 days is best. Other vets may do it that way, it's not against the law, but I (and the vets I work for) think that is very wrong. I also think that the way most low cost spay/neuter clinics operate is unethical and dangerous, but hey, it's not illegal!

We've never had to "dig out bone." Vertebre spaces should be determined beforehand. Also, pull the skin back when you do it so that there is plenty of skin to put a little suture in. It's quick, and the pups just cry when they are removed from their sibs, then stop when they are returned.

What do you mean by low cost clinics doing spays? Nd it should be iilegal? Jwww!
bea4mr
Newborn Bully

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:42 am

bea4mr wrote:I didn't see a post about it but how long does cropped ears take to heal?

Is 16 weeks too old to have it done?

Is it a lot of work taking care of them?

Do infections come easy?

Please, answers nd thoughts!

At 16 weeks, the cartiledge has started to set. Many vets won't even do crops past this age. If you wanted the ears cropped, why did you wait?
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Re: Re: Re:

Postby Odnarb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 am

bea4mr wrote:
Odnarb wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Past a few days old, I think docking should be done under anestetic - however I know of a number of vets who do it up to a month old with out. I was honestly unaware that it was not 'standard procedure' to do it this way.

5 days should be the limit, anything after should be anesthetized. 5 days is even pushing it, 3 days is best. Other vets may do it that way, it's not against the law, but I (and the vets I work for) think that is very wrong. I also think that the way most low cost spay/neuter clinics operate is unethical and dangerous, but hey, it's not illegal!

We've never had to "dig out bone." Vertebre spaces should be determined beforehand. Also, pull the skin back when you do it so that there is plenty of skin to put a little suture in. It's quick, and the pups just cry when they are removed from their sibs, then stop when they are returned.

What do you mean by low cost clinics doing spays? Nd it should be iilegal? Jwww!

Because many operate under unsafe conditions with cheap drugs and little if any monitoring.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby bea4mr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 pm

I didn't wait. The found a guy selling razor edges pits nd they were 16 weeks already :/
bea4mr
Newborn Bully

Postby Oje » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Since i apparently belong in this thread according to another member ill gladly post how id love to slice off the top of the ears of people who crop their dogs ears.

Incredibly hilarious to me that some of the very same people calling me a bad owner for taking my dog to a dog park are the same ones who have a dog with cropped ears or dont see anything wrong with strapping a harness to their back and making them pull weights around.

I wonder if they have kids... I wonder if they would take their kids to the park before cutting their ears off and making them lug around weights. Oh wait that would be silly, they wouldnt do that to children it would be wrong right? Yeah well it is for your dog too.
Oje
Adolescent Bully

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm

So you're actually against weight pull, too? Huh. Interesting.

(Oh, and you don't BELONG here. But THIS is the appropriate thread to debate ear cropping. Not a thread where someone is asking opinions on which style crop. No need to take offense to everything someone says to you escpecially with some of the comments you make yourself).
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby Oje » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Yup, not for pulling at all.

I think its pretty hypocritical someone would make negative comments to me taking him to a park then strap a harness to their dog and make it drag weights around. I guess theres no chance of injury in that huh? Im sure they'll say their dog enjoys it the same way mine enjoys the park but its not nearly the same. I didnt have to train my dog to like the park, i simply took him and he liked it. Only reason a dog is going to pull the weight around is most likely because the owner is standing a distance away calling the dog and since they put a harness around it, it has no other choice but to pull the weight to get to them.
Oje
Adolescent Bully

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Eh, to each it's own! :thumbsup:
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Your dog likes the taste of anti-freeze. Doesn't mean it's good for the dog though. Dog Parks = usually not a good idea.

I think weight pull is good exercise as long as the dog isn't injured.

Oh, and I like natural ears too.
JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby lilangel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Dracula lives.

Since this has changed to a discussion of pits in dog parks...

I was just at the park where there is a gorgeous well equipped 5 acre dog run. Lots of space for lots of dogs. Well. wouldn't you know it, Pit Bulls are well loved by us hippy tree huggers around these parts and 2 were in the dog park. (I always shudder when I see this.) Anyhoo I was working my dogs on leash one at a time in an open field outside the park and whammo! I hear screaming and cursing and hootin and a hollerin so I kinda wander over to get a look and see if I can help and I see the couple with their pits storming out of the park with some people screaming at them and others trying to grab their dogs. The pit owners put their dogs in their subaru wagon and go to the dog park fence to exchange words with some woman holding a small terrier. She is obviously upset as are others in the park that pit bulls were in there in the first place. The Pit owners are furious that they are being accused of having dangerous dogs. In all honesty the pits were totally unphased and just strolling completely relaxed without a care in the world along with their owners after the incident so I am pretty sure they were not even involved in the skirmish. They point out that the little terrier is the instigator and should not be permitted in the park. The woman with the terrier turns around and gives them the FU wave off and releases her dog who proceeds to start a fight as soon as his skinny little legs hit dirt with a group of 4 much larger dogs. They are fighting, full on fighting, and piling onto each other and moving farther away from the owners. It was bad. More mayhem and screaming and the woman with the terrier left very quickly.

It doesn't only matter what your dogs will do in a dog park, it matters what other people's dogs will do just as much. If those pits had not been in the park in the first place, people would not have anything else bad to think about them. They would not have had the bad experience or been in danger or put other dogs in danger.

Avoidance as a coping mechanism is a wonderful thing when there are real consequences.

As for the weight pulling many dogs love to pull freight and it does not harm them if the owner is not a complete and utter moron.

Cosmetic ear cropping is freakin barbaric and people who have their dog's ears mutilated for looks deserve to be ridiculed or slapped silly. :look:
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Oje wrote:Yup, not for pulling at all.

I think its pretty hypocritical someone would make negative comments to me taking him to a park then strap a harness to their dog and make it drag weights around. I guess theres no chance of injury in that huh? Im sure they'll say their dog enjoys it the same way mine enjoys the park but its not nearly the same. I didnt have to train my dog to like the park, i simply took him and he liked it. Only reason a dog is going to pull the weight around is most likely because the owner is standing a distance away calling the dog and since they put a harness around it, it has no other choice but to pull the weight to get to them.

well off subject, I actually find your remarks absurd about weight pull. Ummm...most orgs. you are right there beside the dog, driving from the side or front, only the IWPA dictates you have to away from the dog, and that Org. was created for sled dogs, but the bull breeds tend to dominate it. In fact well, bull breeds in general dominate the sport, due to their desire to work for their owners. And their tenacious, "not give up attitude". I would highly suggest, you go to a competition and watch pro dogs work. they love it, enjoy, and are good at it. it's much more of a positive image then seeing a bull breed at a dog park.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues